Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: System  (Read 5458 times)
kerry red

« on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:10:38 »

One of the questions in the poll was what system would you prefer Town playing next season.

Not that I know fuck all about it, but I opted for 4-3-3 based on 2 very technical reasons:

1. It aint 3-5-2 and

2. 4 at the back seems better than 3 when we are constantly shipping goals

If we stick with 3-5-2, which appears to be set in stone, how are things going to change re goals conceded?

At our level I can't see next season's CBs being appreciably better than Stephens/Turnbull, so we look set to retain our Achilles heel.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:15:04 »

Difficult to say what system to put in place, bearing in mind the out's may not be finished, and the in's haven't started... yet.

I too opted for 4-3-3, though. Based on absolutely nothing.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:15:29 »

I do like a good 4-4-2.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:56:46 »

Nowt wrong with 3.5.2 against certain opposition
We NEED the ability to switch to another formation , 4,4,2 or 4,3,3. A plan B if you will
Whatever the formation ( dependant on incoming players ) I would like to see Byrne ( if still here ) played as a winger with very little defensive duties. He is so much better going forward than tracking back
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 14:04:51 »

3-5-2 got us our highest finish in years...

It's All Good..............
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 14:10:05 »

it did. but it's frailties also contributed to another season in division 3.

that said, if it's the only way we can get the loan players in then I supposed that's that.

would like to have seen what last seasons team could have done in 442 but while retaining a passing style. there wasn't really the chance to give that a go though.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 14:11:54 »

3-5-2 got us our highest finish in years...

Agreed. It leaves holes at the back at times but was a bloody entertaining season. The goals we conceded from set pieces was the most annoying thing for me and this has little to do with the formation.
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 14:38:20 »

Branco would be a decent CB in a back 4 - tackle, head it away etc - a sort of Flint-lite.

If they are going to persist with 3-5-2 there should be a defensive screener in front of them

3-1-4-2
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 14:51:20 »

I'd go 5-5-3. Most refs are so inept we wouldnt get spotted until October.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 21:33:42 »

Nowt wrong with 3.5.2 against certain opposition
We NEED the ability to switch to another formation , 4,4,2 or 4,3,3. A plan B if you will
Whatever the formation ( dependant on incoming players ) I would like to see Byrne ( if still here ) played as a winger with very little defensive duties. He is so much better going forward than tracking back
Agreed. We need to be more savvy and not dogmatic. By all means, start 352 but change if necessary. Going 442 or 451 against Sheff Utd when a couple of goals in front could have saved all those near heart attacks (but could also have prevented one of the most remarkable games of football I've ever seen). Last season we had the players on the pitch to do it. Not sure we will next, although the possibility of Thompson behind Byrne on the right in a 442 could work very well.

Interesting that Ward praised Paolo so highly and had nothing good to say about Cooper. Could have been sour grapes, but it came across as though he rated Paolo's approach to on-field matters very highly. A bit of contradiction in rating Williams (possibly the architect of the 352) but also decrying the lack of flexibility (aimed at Cooper).
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 22:00:29 »

Whisper it quietly on here, but contrary to popular belief PdC was extremely well regarded by the first team when it came to pure footballing matters. No surprise we have heard such words from someone as respected as Ward.
DRS

« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 8, 2015, 06:13:29 »

Whisper it quietly on here, but contrary to popular belief PdC was extremely well regarded by the first team when it came to pure footballing matters. No surprise we have heard such words from someone as respected as Ward.
Whisper it quietly but PDC is now unemployed and not like be managing above league 1 level again
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, June 8, 2015, 08:12:31 »

I'm a firm believer that you have to adapt your formation depending on what players you have. I would wait and see what our squad looks like before deciding what formation I think we should play instead of deciding on a formation and then plugging holes with what we have.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 8, 2015, 09:39:57 »

With a lot of the top Prem sides playing a 4-2-3-1, and assuming we are likely to want to loan players from those clubs, wouldnt that be the ideal system to play ?

It certainly depends on which players come in, you choose the system to suit your players at our level, but that would be ideal for me. If one of the holding players was also able to slot into a sweeper type role (I'd like to see Kasim given another go there), we have our Plan B (3-3-3-1 or 3-4-2-1) ready-made with full backs pushing forward
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 8, 2015, 09:46:51 »

I don't think it is any secret (sorry) that PdC was well respected by the first team squad - whilst their faces still fitted, until he fell out with them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: