Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Motorway Speeding  (Read 10405 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, June 4, 2015, 12:50:55 »

Wankpanzer

I'm nicking that.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 14:09:37 »

Lots of debate around the national speed limit and reducing speed on country lanes to 40... government says cost would be inhibitive because of the need to replace national speed limit signs with 40mph signs... the solution in my mind is simple.  

If a road has no road markings (i.e. central lines) then the national speed limit should be become 40mph... its ludicrous that you can restrict speed on a dual carriageway in a built up area to 40 and yet still have vehicles doing 60 on a single track country B road with no road markings, no street lights and barely enough space for 2 vehicles to pass each other
mourneman

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #32 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 14:26:05 »

I've always thought that the speed limit was 70 motorways and dual carriageways 60 A roads 40 B roads and 30 on unclassified roads unless otherwise notified
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 14:26:40 »

Oh yes I know that. But if the speed limit is there to protect the workforce why is it enforced there during the day? I know there are segments of narrow lane/contraflow but the only reason for it being on 24hrs seems to be to print money.

I have nothing against the blokes actually doing the work, I know they have a hard job and can't please everyone. But as far as the planning/contracting of these things goes it is undoubtedly full of bullshit and corruption.

Perhaps I am being naive but I am not sure whether it can be seen as a means of printing money as the only way they make money is if people break the law?
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #34 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 15:26:12 »

I've always thought that the speed limit was 70 motorways and dual carriageways 60 A roads 40 B roads and 30 on unclassified roads unless otherwise notified

Nope. Unrestricted roads (National Speed Limit) 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways. 60mph elsewhere unless otherwise posted.

You then have the posted speed limits (50- 40- 30- 20 etc) unless a built up area with street lighting (can't remember the specified spacing between lamp standards) where the default limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated.

Basically, look for small speed limit repeater signs on all roads. If you don't see any then it is either 70 mph if dualled, 60 mph on rural single carriageway of 30mph if in a built up area.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 18:58:49 »

Perhaps I am being naive but I am not sure whether it can be seen as a means of printing money as the only way they make money is if people break the law?

Exactly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 19:02:45 »

Nope. Unrestricted roads (National Speed Limit) 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways. 60mph elsewhere unless otherwise posted.

Caveat : For cars.
----
Anywho, yes if you get caught speeding then you can't complain at the fine. But there is merit at complaining why a speed camera was put somewhere - for road safety reasons doesn't always hold true. If the camera isn't there for safety purposes then what's its point.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 13:18:14 »

I have not complained about the fine, I knew the rules, I have complained about the need for having average speed cameras in force at 1am when no cars or workforce is on the road.  3 lanes still open, no contraflow.

Only the 3rd time I have received a ticket for speeding in 25 odd years of driving at least 20k miles a year (all by camera).  I have a clean licence by the way..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 13:19:44 »

wasn't aiming that at you Bernie, I agree with you.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 19:49:22 »

I have not complained about the fine, I knew the rules, I have complained about the need for having average speed cameras in force at 1am when no cars or workforce is on the road.  3 lanes still open, no contraflow.

Only the 3rd time I have received a ticket for speeding in 25 odd years of driving at least 20k miles a year (all by camera).  I have a clean licence by the way..
Well that"s 2 more than me in 36 years odd of driving and mine was for doing 54 on a road marked as having the national speed limit Flaccid Dick
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 20:34:23 »

None for me  Ice Cream
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 10:11:19 »

wasn't aiming that at you Bernie, I agree with you.

Yeah I knew you weren't aiming it at me in particular but thought I should respond to the dashcam perfect drivers.  It seems there are a few on here..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 12:20:15 »

I don't have a dash cam to prove I'm a perfect driver. I have one because it will help in insurance cases. Touch wood I'll never need it. And it also reduces your premium.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, June 8, 2015, 05:53:56 »

You then have the posted speed limits (50- 40- 30- 20 etc) unless a built up area with street lighting (can't remember the specified spacing between lamp standards) where the default limit is 30mph unless otherwise stated.

Basically, look for small speed limit repeater signs on all roads. If you don't see any then it is either 70 mph if dualled, 60 mph on rural single carriageway of 30mph if in a built up area.

And built up area is defined as having street lights less than 200 yards apart... Which most small villages don't have.. Which means you can drive at 60.... An example was Avebury - that used to be 60mph all the way through despite the fact you couldn't do 60 because of the sharp corners... It was changed to 30 about 12 years ago...
« Last Edit: Monday, June 8, 2015, 05:58:38 by @MacPhlea » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: