Author Topic: FIFA  (Read 56133 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #60 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:23:16 »

Voted in again then....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:23:49 »

Blatter was always going to be re-elected. It's what happens next which is genuinely interesting.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:32:35 »

Truly inevitable and losing UEFA was never going to be an issue for Blatter either.

Over to you, FBI.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:33:18 »

yup. it's how corruption works. over to uefa/fbi
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:39:16 »

He seems to be untouchable.  Why?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:41:58 »

Because removing the corruption from FIFA is in the interest of very few of the delegates. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
Wessex Warrior

« Reply #66 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:46:14 »

Blatter is regarded as hero in many parts of the world....he's been responsible for the creation of all sorts of facilities, in places like Africa, they don't mind that he's a corrupt old fart, because at least they get something....which didn't happen before.

There is zero chance of UEFA doing anything as Platini, learnt at Blatter side.  He's panicking as he is up to his neck in the Qatar bid.

I do think if the suits at the  FA, did the right thing and unilaterally withdrew from FIFA, then there'd be overwhelming support from English fans.....but they won't as they're at best hypocritical, and at worst complicit.

Not sure about the Swiss investigation.....companies and organisations like FIFA, don't just pitch up in Switzerland for the cheese, turning a blind eye is the modus operandi of the Swiss authorities, so I'd be very surprised to see anything with teeth here.

It's similar to why some people vote Labour - they promise to tax some wealthier people and transfer the money to them in benefits. Same principle.

No point us doing anything unilaterally though. The FA might concentrate instead on urging other key European countries to withdraw from FIFA. Any World Cup needs Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland (England even). Any World Cup would be meaningless without the big six.

Then set about establishing a new organisation for world football, with proper governance. The current set-up is a Swiss bank, run by the Mafia, who occasionally organise football matches.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 17:51:14 »

He seems to be untouchable.  Why?

He's a hero in much of the developing world.  As Reg has already said, he does have a positive legacy in a lot of places.  He has globalised the game in way that no one else had done so before (although you could argue that the globalisation would have happened with or without Blatter.)  It's also probably true that many places around the world have a higher corruption threshhold than we do.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 19:00:30 »

No point us doing anything unilaterally though. The FA might concentrate instead on urging other key European countries to withdraw from FIFA. Any World Cup needs Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Holland (England even). Any World Cup would be meaningless without the big six.

Then set about establishing a new organisation for world football, with proper governance. The current set-up is a Swiss bank, run by the Mafia, who occasionally organise football matches.

No point, other than showing the rest of world, that we might be a bit shit at football, but we did invent and develop most of these games and somewhere in their origins is the importance of fair play.  Dyke can rattle on all he likes, but UEFA will do jack shit. 

Our Serious Fraud Office, have been sat on their hands, when even the likes of the Daily Mail point out that a British bank like Barclays, have some questions to answer as regards FIFA transactions.

The only real hope for change is if the FBI feel a few more collars including Blatter.

ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 19:16:50 »

He seems to be untouchable.  Why?

Mainly because European football associations are too spineless to resign en masse in order to destroy FIFA, and in turn they do so because football fans are very reluctant to do anything to force said European football associations to do anything.

Football fans by and large will put up with anything even if it means supporting a world cup in Qatar where the human cost is quite frankly disgusting.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 29, 2015, 19:18:47 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 20:01:31 »

Mainly because European football associations are too spineless to resign en massis
 in order to destroy FIFA, and in turn they do so because football fans are very reluctant to do anything to force said European football associations to do anything.

Football fans by and large will put up with anything even if it means supporting a world cup in Qatar where the human cost is quite frankly disgusting.

Quite an interesting twitter debate going on with Richard Keys and new Qatari resident launching a staunch defence of his new home land and basically The Guardian report is inaccurate.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 20:38:38 »

I'm probably behind the times on this thread, but I watched the 2 speeches. One of the candidates, and it was the telling moment for me, never once mentioned the fans who follow football. We don't matter do we mr blatter...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 20:56:21 »

I'm probably behind the times on this thread, but I watched the 2 speeches. One of the candidates, and it was the telling moment for me, never once mentioned the fans who follow football. We don't matter do we mr blatter...

He'll never mention the fans, but he'll mention the ####ing 'football family' a million times.

There's a phrase that I detest.  Where is this 'family', anyway?  I have a worrying feeling that he may be talking about this lot.

ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 20:57:29 »

Quite an interesting twitter debate going on with Richard Keys and new Qatari resident launching a staunch defence of his new home land and basically The Guardian report is inaccurate.

The question of deaths in Qatar has been a continuing concern for a couple of years, and not just by the Guardian, and has been reported by many multinational agencies. Exact numbers are always hard to pin down precisely, but it's quite clear that the Qatar World Cup has serious issues regarding workers' safety

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Friday, May 29, 2015, 22:47:53 »

Keys is a fucking prick at the best of times.

He basically said because he lives in Qatar, the whole death numbers are all lies!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: