Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FIFA  (Read 56385 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #225 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 12:16:42 »

I was at work, so hardly stella'd up. If you don't think likening a terror attack in Tunisia to a football tournament in Qatar due to the heritage of the local people is racist then good for you. The two places are 6000 miles apart on two different continents. I didn't ban audrey, he left of his own accord.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 13:54:23 »

For someone working for the police, im surprised you got so irate about his post.
Not that surprised that you were drinking on the job though.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 14:02:34 »

I found your original response to Audrey so baffling I assumed you must have been on some mind altering substance. I apologize for my presumption.

However, the conflict we are talking about is essentially the Muslim world v The West - I don't think there is any dispute about that is there? Tunisia and Qatar both belong to the Muslim World, racism doesn't come into it. For this reason, I found Audrey's post perfectly reasonable.

Not that it makes any difference, but Tunisia and Qatar are actually 3000 miles apart (approx).
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #228 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 15:51:46 »

I was at work, so hardly stella'd up. If you don't think likening a terror attack in Tunisia to a football tournament in Qatar due to the heritage of the local people is racist then good for you. The two places are 6000 miles apart on two different continents. I didn't ban audrey, he left of his own accord.
I must be so inherently racist or stupid or both that I can't even understand what you are trying to say or what was offensive in audreys post. It's a shame another good poster has gone
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 16:37:56 »

Audrey's post was ignorant so I'm glad he was challenged in a good old fashioned tef way, via personal abuse. if that was too much then a break from the web is for the best
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 16:53:12 »

Audrey's post was ignorant so I'm glad he was challenged in a good old fashioned tef way, via personal abuse. if that was too much then a break from the web is for the best
How?
Flashheart

« Reply #231 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 17:00:30 »

Both Arab countries that will have thousands of Westerners there numb nuts

I think much of this current drama might be down to what one might consider an Arab. 'Arabian' can be considered a race, it could also be considered a culture, it can also simply refer to somebody from a geographical location. I know that I often identify certain people as Arabs in the racial sense and I have also known Arabs to identify as 'Arabian' when the matter of race comes up. They're proud to do so (why shouldn't they be?)

Had Audrey said 'Islamic' countries then I think that may have been less contentious as it's blatantly fucking obvious that the world has a problem with Islamic extremism and something like the WC would be a prime target for them. Although it would still have been ignorant.

He didn't though, he sad 'Arab' countries. For some, this could be just the same as opposing something because it's in a 'black' country, which is blatantly racist.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 19:19:20 »

For once and for all, Audrey’s 5 second tweet was not racist unless you look for racism
Audrey mused about the security implications of the Qatar World Cup in the wake of Tunisia and was immediately called a fucking imbecile and asked what Qatar had to do with Tunisia.  
Qatar and Tunisia both proudly identify themselves as Arab nations and Audrey made this link between Qatar and Tunisia as hosts of western visitors and was called a cunt in an un-TEF-like way and accused of racism.
Qatar itself will doubtless have asked itself how the targeting of western tourists in Tunisia might replicate itself in the World Cup and build up so why shouldn't Audrey?
Compared to Russia (or hypothetically Brazil or South Africa previously) the threat of (so called) Islamist terrorism will be different in nature (and arguably greater) as a result of the World Cup’s location in the Arab world.  
Surprise, surprise Audrey’s post didn’t encapsulate the subtleties of race, ethnicity and counter-terrorism but he is no racist (and above all a lot funnier than me... and a number of posters)
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 19:22:14 by RedRag » Logged
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #233 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 19:41:13 »

So 99% of Tunisians are Arab Berber and the spoken language is Tunisian Arabic but saying they are Arab is racist. Has anyone told them that?
Flashheart

« Reply #234 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 19:42:43 »

Who said that calling Tunisians 'Arabs' is racist?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 19:48:05 »

I agree with Red Rag.

Audrey was guilty of imprecise use of language - nothing more.

This ain't the Oxford Debating Society though and Audrey ain't no racist. Anyone who isn't totally stupid knew exactly what he was getting at. It was not ignorant and sure as hell was not racist.

Why do I keep chipping away at this like a dog with a bone? (that's a really bad mixed metaphor I think but whatever...) It's because I cannot stand to see people being called racist when they are quite clearly anything but.

Flashheart

« Reply #236 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 20:00:56 »

Technically speaking the comment was racist.

Other than that I'm inclined to agree with what OST just said. I like Jayo but I think he called it wrong, the beardy cunt.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, July 4, 2015, 20:32:49 »

And wont own up to it.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #238 on: Sunday, July 5, 2015, 05:36:23 »

I still see it the same way, it's a ignorant comment and I called him out on it. He decided to go full retard over it. So fucking what?

For someone working for the police, im surprised you got so irate about his post.
Not that surprised that you were drinking on the job though.

Think you have me confused with someone else, I don't work for the police.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, July 5, 2015, 07:59:24 »

I still see it the same way, it's a ignorant comment and I called him out on it. He decided to go full retard over it. So fucking what?

May be a tad ignorant at a push. I still can't see how it was racist though. Over reaction from both sides I think!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: