Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Inquest  (Read 50821 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 16:41:24 »

SiPie will be pleased!

Yes Clap
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 16:46:15 »

only Wes is likely to earn us anything back.
We won't get any fee for Wes as he is out of contract and aged 24 and the Bosman ruling only applies to under 24s.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 17:13:39 »

It turns out Sunday wasn't a complete waste of time. In the way back from Cotswold Wildlife Park got a "thanks dad" along with a chorus of "Allez Allez Allez Oh" and "its a, its a, its a. Its gladwin" from my two lads .

Resilient little sods. They'll learn.

What is that Gladwin ditty?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 17:21:21 »

I've kind of quoted it all, other than the musical da da bits (pet shop boys, it's a sin)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 17:24:07 »

I've kind of quoted it all, other than the musical da da bits (pet shop boys, it's a sin)

Ah ok! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 18:46:40 »

I would like to congratulate the minibus of lads from seend parked at wealdstone. Good fun particularly the pole dancing on the underground. Good to see some funny nice drunks. Seriously pissed but seemed like good guys
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 18:48:43 »

particularly the pole dancing on the underground

Oh god, I'd blocked that out. unsee. unsee.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 19:14:38 »

is it really true that wes has not been offered a contract?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 19:16:36 »

I think I posted a few years ago that Harry Redknapp had been a success and should be England Manager not because of his ability but because he got that you can just keep re-inventing the team and it clearly takes other teams a while to work out what to do.  his was supported by a blank cheque which has come back to haunt one or two of the clubs down the line though.

We did with Macari, Ardiles and to a lesser extent Hoddle.  A team so different from those around them that success flowed as a result, but in each of the first two cases we were sussed eventually.  Macari's team probably a little less so, but even that seemed to have it's limits.  The Ardiles changed us overnight with a new formation, it worked for a year with us and the same for Spurs but people figured out how to defend against it.

I think something like that has just happened.  The style of football is the same as last season to an extent, but we changed to 3-5-2 and it has taken 6 months for people to figure out ways to combat it.  The lesser teams we can still overcome through sheer possession but the better teams, especially the strong ones have found us out.  Stop the flow from Wes, harry the midfield three, flood the flanks in attack, put crosses in.  It works well for teams like Preston because of their strength upfront and they have players who when organised can compete with a team having more possession than them.

The trick next year is to see if we can change once people figure us out.  It's been a great season to watch until the last month or so which was a bit odd, then we had the delight against Sheff Utd and the clear despair against Preston when it became clear what was going to unfold after 3 minutes.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 19:19:27 »

We know that we can't offer him more nor provide him Championship football.... and he probably wants to leave.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 20:19:29 »

Beckford took the utter piss out of us for a couple of years before the two 3-0s tbf

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Costanza

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 20:30:56 »

Beckford took the utter piss out of us for a couple of years before the two 3-0s tbf

2010 was great... the rest? Eek.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/PlayingRecord.asp?Type=Opponent&PersonID=beckford_jermaine_paul_1983
Peter Venkman

« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 08:49:57 »

We couldnt offer him similar terms until we knew which division we were playing in next season, and he was (along with Willo) our highest earner so we obviously need to cut down on high wages.

Also I am certain Wes made his mind up to leave a while ago whether we were promoted or not but not going up has hastened that so he is probably unwilling to enter into negotiations anyway.

luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 09:35:22 »

he was (along with Willo) our highest earner so we obviously need to cut down on high wages.

Does anyone know how/where player wage info comes from that gets banded about? I rely on rumour and conjecture only.

Always wondered... 
Peter Venkman

« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 10:01:00 »

Does anyone know how/where player wage info comes from that gets banded about? I rely on rumour and conjecture only.

Always wondered...  
Part of it comes from word of mouth from other players but a lot comes from the wages of comparable players signed at almost exactly the same time (e.g. Gareth Roberts, De Vita etc) who were on good wages but have taken large pay cuts when they left Swindon to join new teams. For example Roberts when he left said he took a 50% pay cut to join Chesterfield.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 10:03:30 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: