Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Inquest  (Read 50896 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 09:59:18 »

Good first post, championship clubs are interested in taking Turnbull and Stephens so we will miss out - not sure Gladwin will get into a premiership team so if he does go to Villa he could be loaned back for the season (he's another one who cannot jump it would seem!), Toffolo is very in and out, would welcome Louis back for a season (boy we missed him when he got injured, nobody really prepared to do the hard graft in midfield).  Fods we know about and Belford is already signed up as a replacement, understand Williams is very happy here and not prepared to move too far and would take a cut-price deal if nobody in the south comes in for him.  We really do need an experienced head at centre back and probably another in midfield, perhaps with some cash coming in this summer we could actually buy a couple!
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:16:50 »

Depending on who gets sold we may see a change of shape next year. We've played this way to accommodate Kasim (needs to be in 3 man mid) and Byrne. I imagine if we lose those it will depend on who we recruit as to the set up for next year. They talk a lot about top team loaning us their kids well most (if not all) of those teams play 4 at the back with a 3 man midfield of some kind.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:24:48 »

Good first post, championship clubs are interested in taking Turnbull and Stephens so we will miss out - not sure Gladwin will get into a premiership team so if he does go to Villa he could be loaned back for the season (he's another one who cannot jump it would seem!), Toffolo is very in and out, would welcome Louis back for a season (boy we missed him when he got injured, nobody really prepared to do the hard graft in midfield).  Fods we know about and Belford is already signed up as a replacement, understand Williams is very happy here and not prepared to move too far and would take a cut-price deal if nobody in the south comes in for him.  We really do need an experienced head at centre back and probably another in midfield, perhaps with some cash coming in this summer we could actually buy a couple!

I agree with most of the above, I think it goes without saying that we could do with a solid centre half and whilst I can see the merits of ball playing loanees both Stephens and Turnbull have shown that often coming down from higher clubs they don't have the physical attributes or attitude to compete at this level, perhaps an experienced head, NT and a third more skilled defender would be the right balance.

I am sure everyone agrees regarding LT, but I think he is a player on the up so I suggest Norwich will want to (at worst) enhance their investment by placing him in the Championship. I would like to see Toffolo stay just because he seems to actually give a toss and go beyond the dull engagements with the fans and community - plus he has looked decent in the games I have seen (admittedly not many).

We know that Fods, Luongo and probably Gladwin are off (although could see Gladwin back for a year as he isn't going to get a million miles near the first team at Villa (yet)) so another summer of ins and outs beckon.

Just remember that last year Power had to do it all at the last minute due to the ownership issues so with a clean run who knows!
kerry red

« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:26:31 »

I have a feeling Cooper will leave/sacked and Williams will take over as Head Coach with maybe an addition of a new assistant manager working under Power as main DoF.

That's exactly as I see it
Wessex Warrior

« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:45:01 »

I have a feeling Cooper will leave/sacked and Williams will take over as Head Coach with maybe an addition of a new assistant manager working under Power as main DoF.

The sting in that tail would be if it was Andy Williams...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:49:29 »

The players being scared of heading the ball has been one of my bugbears this season. At home, when there is a 50/50 header in the midfield area, we almost always seem to leave it to the opponents to head the ball. It would be great (and get the crowd going) if we competed more when the ball is in the air.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:57:30 »

We let the ball bounce instead of attacking it while its in the air. This always give the opposition a chance if they attack the ball in the air.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:58:03 »

The players being scared of heading the ball has been one of my bugbears this season. At home, when there is a 50/50 header in the midfield area, we almost always seem to leave it to the opponents to head the ball. It would be great (and get the crowd going) if we competed more when the ball is in the air.

Don't forget we've still got Branco....next season could be breakthrough for him, as the next saleable asset.  Big emphasis on could, mind.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 10:58:14 »

The sting in that tail would be if it was Andy Williams...
Won't be AW, but Sam Ricketts might be!!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:02:48 »

We let the ball bounce instead of attacking it while its in the air. This always give the opposition a chance if they attack the ball in the air.

Glad someone else has noticed that. Couldn't agree more, I think it gives the team that attack the ball more impetus.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:03:36 »

Don't forget we've still got Branco....next season could be breakthrough for him, as the next saleable asset.  Big emphasis on could, mind.

If he continues to play like he has put his boots on the wrong feet the only place he'll be going is back into non-league.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:10:20 »

If he continues to play like he has put his boots on the wrong feet the only place he'll be going is back into non-league.

Certainly had a very dodgy end to the season, but at other times has looked to have something. Centre halves tend to develop a bit later than others, and Branco turns 25 in the summer.....I wouldn't write him of just yet.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:16:09 »

Certainly had a very dodgy end to the season, but at other times has looked to have something. Centre halves tend to develop a bit later than others, and Branco turns 25 in the summer.....I wouldn't write him of just yet.

I am being a touch harsh, as you say, he did have some very good games and was an excellent outball when Wes would ping the ball out to him and he would bring it down nicely onto his chest.

He could be our main CB next season! At least he is quite brave and isn't scared of heading the bloody thing in the box!

GL5 Arkells Stand

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:39:26 »

Fair enough, except that it wasn't in the air that we were dominated. Every goal was due to poor positional play (1 - Thompson / 2 - Stephens & Turnbull / 3 - arguably Turnbull, but I'll give Beckford that one) or faffing in midfield (4 - Ricketts and very nearly 5 - Smith). They ran at us and harried us, and we just buckled.

Agree that Stephens and Turnbull are too similar to play as a pair of centre-halfs though, and one needs to complemented by an enforcer type.
Whereas none of their goals came from headers, I think that we were dominated in the air - certainly their first goal came from none of our players wanting to head away the cross from the free kick, meaning that it dropped to Beckford.
Also, PNE seemed to get a lot of free kicks when the ball was played forward in the air and Beckford or (especially) Garner went up to win it, with either Turnbull or Stephens not even jumping, but trying to 'ease' their opponent away from the ball.
At League 1 level, a high percentage of goals are going to come from dead ball situations around the box - if our central defenders see giving away free-kicks in this area as preferable to actually trying to outjump their opponent to head the ball away, we are going to put ourselves in needless trouble time after time.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 12:31:18 »

Why do people think Cooper will be sacked? Him and Power seem to have a good working realationship, no the end of the season wasn't quite as good as it could have been but frankly he has done brilliantly with what is at his disposal.

Can see him moving on if another team come for him, but sacked? No chance.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: