Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England v New Zealand  (Read 13962 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 09:49:17 »

First test starts in 10 minutes...

Lyth and Wood debuting for Trott and Jordan. Looking forward to seeing how Wood goes, he's properly quick.

That said, New Zealand are actually pretty good and Boult vs Cook could be brutal.
kerry red

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:13:15 »

I remember watching Southee's test debut and he reminded me of Derek Pringle - who I never really rated as a test player.

He's really improved over the years
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:39:39 »

First test starts in 10 minutes...

Lyth and Wood debuting for Trott and Jordan. Looking forward to seeing how Wood goes, he's properly quick.

That said, New Zealand are actually pretty good and Boult vs Cook could be brutal.

Wood is definitely a punt...18 wickets last year at 34, doesn't suggest a world beater.  Apparently he can reverse swing it, when I've seen a bit of him in the one dayers, looked like a typical English medium pace seamer.

The bloke, who is proper left arm quick, Footit at Derby....82 wickets last year at 19 doesn't get a look in.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:41:54 »

Foottit was bowling to them in the nets yesterday so he's not totally out of mind- he is indeed quick, but don't underestimate Wood, he can bowl 90mph and then some, he's just not 6'8 like most seamers seem to be now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:49:04 »

Foottit was bowling to them in the nets yesterday so he's not totally out of mind- he is indeed quick, but don't underestimate Wood, he can bowl 90mph and then some, he's just not 6'8 like most seamers seem to be now.

Let's see, but the niggling doubt that English cricket is currently run by a bunch of clueless buffoons, is difficult to shift.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:50:01 »

Let's see, but the niggling doubt that English cricket is currently run by a bunch of clueless buffoons, is difficult to shift.

What do you mean, currently? You've got a few years on me, when was this magical time when the ECB were competent?

25/3. Oh dear. Save us Joe Root.
mamoo

moo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:59:16 »

make that 30-4. 'triffic  Crash
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 11:00:00 »

"Straussy" out!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 21, 2015, 11:04:47 »

What do you mean, currently? You've got a few years on me, when was this magical time when the ECB were competent?

25/3. Oh dear. Save us Joe Root.

The era not too long back where we had Geoff Miller as selector, Fletcher/Flower as coaches, and an ECB capable of setting up 20/20 cricket wasn't too shabby.

This reminds me a bit of a Test in 74, also at Lord's, when I had an hour or so at lunchtime to watch cricket on the Beeb, India were all out 47 in 17 overs. Chris Old and "Horse" Arnold did the damage.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 11:16:37 »

Cracking final day in prospect here, we've been bowled out to set a target of just over 340 on the final day and taken the openers out early.

Cook got a great 150 yesterday and Stokes the fastest over 100 at Lords, excellent fight back all things considered. Good to see Cook in form, I don't think he's a good captain but we need a Cook the batsman without a doubt.

And as far as I'm now concerned, that was the only sport that happened yesterday!
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:36:37 »

2 in 2 from Stokes.  Shame he couldn't have got a third, one hat trick I could've enjoyed this weekend.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 17:44:16 »

Well that was good.

Seems that England have decided against Gillespie, and offered the head coach job to Trevor Bayliss, an Aussie, who I've not really heard of.

Seems he's a decent track record as a white ball coach, whereas Gillespie is more a long game man.

Good luck to the fella.....
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 17:54:02 »

In fairness, we need a lot more help in ODI stuff than in tests! Gillespie being interested but not getting it is odd, but Bayliss is neither a cheap option nor a patsy.

Great result today, Stokes batting up the order seems to have inspired him and he's showing the talent he's shown in the county game- a first class average of 35 doesn't sound incredible but considering his home games are at Chester-le-Street on which 250 is a decent score, it's worth a lot more on a normal ground. Good to see most of the team contributing.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 25, 2015, 17:57:28 by Nemo » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 18:01:49 »

In fairness, we need a lot more help in ODI stuff than in tests! Gillespie being interested but not getting it is odd, but Bayliss is neither a cheap option nor a patsy.

Great result today, Stokes batting up the order seems to have inspired him and he's showing the talent he's shown in the county game- a first class average of 35 doesn't sound incredible but considering his home games are at Chester-le-Street on which 250 is a decent score, it's worth a lot more on a normal ground. Good to see most of the team contributing.

I don't have a problem with Bayliss, as long as he's not a yes man for the ECB.....worked previously with Farbrace, whose come out of this game pretty well, so could be a good combo.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 25, 2015, 18:54:00 »

I was tempted to stay in London and go to the Test today. I didn't - pah.

Brilliant conclusion too.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: