Poll
Question: What should a new banner say?  (Voting closed: Thursday, May 7, 2015, 20:50:45)
WE ARE THE RED & WHITE ARMY - 15 (19%)
SWINDON TOWN WILL NEVER DIE - 15 (19%)
SALUBRITAS ET INDUSTRIA - 49 (62%)
Total Voters: 71

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town banner for the playoffs  (Read 14864 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 07:35:22 »

Branco's Elbow Says Yes Yes Yes
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 07:37:40 »

You've said the size will be a few metres wide and I think I recall you saying 5 metres maybe??that banner in the picture I'm guessing is probably over 25 metres wide?taking that into account, I'd be mindful how a lot of letters will look on something that's only 5 metres wide
This is a good point actually. I've just paced it out and 5m ain't massive. From afar there is a danger that it looks like you're unrolling a piece of bog roll and the font will need to  be about size 12 fit it all in.  You might be better to see if you can rally round, get a few more donations and try and upgrade to 15 to 20m.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:08:38 »

Salubritas et Industria the clear winner for me.  It would stand out.  And the other two just don't feel very inspiring.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:12:18 »

Salubritas et Industria the clear winner for me.  It would stand out.  And the other two just don't feel very inspiring.
Ditto.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:13:54 »

In regards to the size, the issue we have is that most of the time we will only have under 10m wide of fans. So I'm thinking maybe buy a 1m tall by 5m long length of fabric, cut it up the middle so we have 0.5m tall by 10m long.

That would work better. I bought 8m of fabric for the Fjortoft banner and that was around £80.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:23:35 »

Whilst that translation is correct word for word, I don't think the phrase actually makes sense in Latin? Somebody more educated than me can decide.
Sadly it isn't and it doesn't. It means "I fuck from the Oxford". Which isn't quite what Nemo had in mind.

Oh, and I'd vote for Salubritas et Industria as well. Which, for the record, translates rather better as "Good Health and Hard Work" than the more often quoted "Health and Industry" which sounds like a manifesto slogan.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:35:00 »

Would our players even know what that means?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:40:00 »

I am a little unhappy with the voting system, typical first past the post skewed results!

I think that Salubritas et Industria is a great idea although will it need a supporting banner with a subtitle translation to pass through the stand 6' below the main one!
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:41:08 »

Would our players even know what that means?

Probably not I'm thinking. But I don't think they'll take time to read it. Maybe just the Red & White display in itself is the sole purpose, I'm happy with any of the banners. Personally "WE ARE THE RED & WHITE ARMY" is my favourite.

I'm definitely going to need extra help to make this banner. I'm happy spending my weekend painting it, but I'll need a hand with affording the fabric. With all the balloons and streamers and whatnot! I know a lot of you have contributed already, but if we have 5 people give a tenner or 10 people give a fiver that'd be awesome. It's something we can re-use, too.

Donate here:
https://plasso.co/[email protected]
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 08:48:44 by JayBox325 » Logged

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 09:04:52 »

Banners are just as much about our identity as fans than they are about giving the players support. I like the motto.

We need more permanent/regular banners dotted around the CG.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 09:09:55 »

Banners are just as much about our identity as fans than they are about giving the players support. I like the motto.

We need more permanent/regular banners dotted around the CG.

I'll be bringing this to every game next season when I'm in the DRS.

wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 09:15:32 »

Swindon ^This way up^ Wembley
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 10:35:19 »

Me too, the 'Red and White Army' one doesn't feel uniquely 'us' enough for me. Swindon Town Will Never Die is better, but is it a bit 'defeatist' for going into games we need to, and can, win?
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 10:44:51 »

Sounds good to me! If I end up getting an extra £20-£40 in donations I'll buy the fabric and get to it!

EDIT: Just got a donation from someone. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 10:55:55 by JayBox325 » Logged

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2015, 11:58:26 »

"Good Health and Hard Work"

From what I witness in the Town End, "At Death's Door and Can't Remember the Last Time I Did a Full Day's Graft" would be more appropriate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: