Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Positive Promotion Play Off Thread.  (Read 27419 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 06:54:19 »

After the last few weeks of negativity surrounding team selection, tactics, results and the general meh that's crept into the fan base, it's now down to the Play offs. I am 100% sure that we will see a re energised team on Thursday and also see the mainstays of our earlier form back to their best.

We might all be complaining after Thursday's game; that Cooper got it wrong, that players didn't look up for it, that our defence is dogshite...... But until then, let's spend the next few days optimistic.

You never know...........

It's All Good..............
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:13:04 »

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:31:08 »

I predict that this will be a short thread.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:36:27 »

There is nobody left in the playoffs we haven't beaten. There is nobody in the playoffs in shit hot form. We have as much chance as anyone.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:39:09 »

There is not one single 'form side' in the Play Offs.  We have nothing to fear from any of the other three.  Add to that that Preston go in to the campaign gutted and demoralised, and we're not in a bad position at all.

Then add in to the mix the Manager's strategy of resting key players; a strategy he has stuck to so faithfully that he has ignored the effect that it may have on other clubs (even if they were involved in promotion/relegation themselves).  He has been focused on STFC, and nothing else.

This gives me some confidence.  We're not drifting in to the Play Offs without a purpose.  The Manager knows exactly what he's doing.  If it goes wrong he will hold his hand up, I'm sure.  But I have a feeling that his approach may produce some results.
kerry red

« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:45:45 »

And nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, even mentions us as potential winners - and, to their shame, a few on here as well.

Glad Franchise are out of the way TBH, the other 3 are all meh
Spud

« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:47:21 »

I do find it funny that we've had our best season for god knows how long? yet most are fans are more negative than when we went into the Play Offs with Kevin MacDonald in charge.
Spud

« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 07:48:31 »

And nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, even mentions us as potential winners - and, to their shame, a few on here as well.

Glad Franchise are out of the way TBH, the other 3 are all meh

Couldn't agree more on the Franchise sentiment. I think they were more than capable of picking themselves back up if they failed to get 2nd yesterday. Preston on the other hand.....
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 08:15:59 »

However you view this seasons play-offs we finished where we did.

I think to a man or woman, all on this site probably would have taken a play-off place last August. The last 46 games, no matter what went on in each of those 90 minute gladiatorial battles counts for nothing. Poor reffing, bad tactics, injuries, suspensions, good & bad luck, weather conditions, team selections you name it, means nothing now.

It is down to initially the next 180 minutes of holding your nerve. Putting out your best team for each half. Each half is in effect 90 mins. There maybe two different teams for both halves but hold our nerve we must.

Strangely I think we could win this up at Brammal Lane. They will have to come at us and take the game to us which should give us opportunities. 2-0 as has already been suggested be to much of a mountain to climb at the CG IMHO certainly based on current form.

It's there for us to take if the players want it badly enough.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 08:28:07 »

Before Preston losing to Colchester yesterday, I was saying we'd lose in the final. Franchise at the moment are unbeatable and have sussed us out this season. Now they're not in it, I think we have a massive chance, we can beat PNE and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even get there as they'll be gutted at not getting 2nd.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 08:43:06 »

I do find it funny that we've had our best season for god knows how long? yet most are fans are more negative than when we went into the Play Offs with Kevin MacDonald in charge.
I think its because supporters find it easier to identify with teams/players who are visibly giving it their all, even if they're not up to much. By contrast this team plainly has the ability but little of the heart, probably because it lacks any real leaders.

Whatever;  this thread and the comments so far are right.  With MKD out of it, this is a playoff group with teams struggling to find any real form or self-belief.  Any team, and set of supporters, that show some resolve and unity have a championship spot there for the taking.  Why don't we try to make that team us.
kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 08:46:20 »

So, will Cooper 'go for it' as he has said - which to me means 2 up front - or will he play Beaker on his own with Gladwin just behind?

The Blades are set up to counterattack - not very good when forced to make the pace.

If Gruffalo isn't fit, play Randall there not Gladwin.

Got to be Stephens/Turnbull/Thompson as the back 3.

Midfield 5 of Byrne/Kasim/Luongo/Gladwin/Randall

Beaker/Hylton or Williams up top
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 08:59:32 »

Before Preston losing to Colchester yesterday,

It also shows both sides of pressure too. Preston have an impressive strikeforce, but it miss-fired yesterday. Colchester more limited but fighting for their lives, did what they had to.

IF IF IF we can get past Sheff U, bring on whoever.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 09:00:03 »

I predict that this will be a short thread.

Not now I'm here!

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, May 4, 2015, 09:07:11 »

But yeah, this would be my starting XI (based on what we know about injuries etc):

Foderingham
N. Thompson – Stephens – Turnbull
Kasim – Luongo
Byrne – Gladwin – Randall
Hylton – Obika

With Willo coming on ~70 mins for Hylton as he hasn't done a full 90 yet, Swift coming on for Randall moving Gladwin out to the wing and Swift sitting in behind the strikers leaving an emergency sub or possibly changing Obika for Smith to try and allow him to find form for the home leg.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: