Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stratton Bank roof??  (Read 6823 times)
kerry red

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 30, 2015, 20:07:36 »

I always associate clinkers with the leftovers from an ass-wipe
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 30, 2015, 20:08:28 »

Where the clinker mountain was that you mention, legend had it that Brunel's original Broad Gauge locos, were indeed laying at rest in their graveyard.  Sadly when it was cleared in the late 80's, there was nothing.
To my knowledge,they ended up in Barry and cut up for scrap.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 30, 2015, 20:32:04 »

To my knowledge,they ended up in Barry and cut up for scrap.

Not sure the Broad Gauge stuff ended up in Barry....certainly a lot of post Beeching locos did.

At first some Broad Gauge stuff was kept in The Works for preservation, but due to lack of space etc it was cut up, and recycled, a fate I suspect shared by the other beasts.  North Star, of which there is a replica in the Museum, apparently has some original material.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 30, 2015, 20:55:18 »

Not sure the Broad Gauge stuff ended up in Barry....certainly a lot of post Beeching locos did.

At first some Broad Gauge stuff was kept in The Works for preservation, but due to lack of space etc it was cut up, and recycled, a fate I suspect shared by the other beasts.  North Star, of which there is a replica in the Museum, apparently has some original material.

Pretty sure no broad gauge stuff ever went to Barry, think it was all scrapped at swindon - must have been a logistical challenge to get it there before they changed the gauge!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/swindonlocal/3943997607/

It is correct that both Lord of the Isles and North Star were preserved at swindon works until 1906 but apparently they needed the space so they were scrapped.

Yeah 200+ locomotives went to Barry in the 60's and vast majority were rescued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locomotives_saved_from_Woodham_Brothers_scrapyard
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 30, 2015, 23:44:59 »

Loving the Broad Gauge pic....how strange must it have been to have to accept that although our gauge was better, it would have to be sacrificed in the national interest...
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 00:02:47 »

Loving the Broad Gauge pic....how strange must it have been to have to accept that although our gauge was better, it would have to be sacrificed in the national interest...

My great grandfather completed his apprenticeship at the Works in 1892, the same year I believe that Broad Guage was abandoned. He never fully recovered.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 00:31:51 »

My great grandfather completed his apprenticeship at the Works in 1892, the same year I believe that Broad Guage was abandoned. He never fully recovered.

At least he'd have been able to call on the services of the Great Western Railway Medical Fund Society, to help him with his trauma....a kind of forerunner of the NHS funded by workers contributions. 

Although they were more concerned with patching up workers who'd been injured in the Works.....when the Hospital in Faringdon Road was nationalised in 1947, by the incoming Labour government, the fear was it couldn't be as good.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, May 1, 2015, 08:16:59 »

Huh? I thought we had a trainspotters thread on here  Huh?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: