Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Play offs - first leg v Sheffield United  (Read 87898 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:17:32 »

There are still a couple of imponderables to settle before we should start to think about how the PO's might shape, as we're the only side that know we'll finish.

Losing at ColU on Tuesday, will give them an excellent chance of avoiding the drop, if they can get something off Preston on Sunday, Franchise have Yeovil at home.

Chesterfield at Bramall Lane on Sunday.....ideally we'd like Chesterfield to win and Franchise to take the auto, which could mean us v Chesterfield and Blades v Preston.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:24:51 »

As much as I hate to say it I do want MK to go up automatically so we won't have to face them at Wembley...

But saying that, I don't think I'd like to play Preston or Sheffield United there either. If we go up it's going to be a miracle.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:36:11 »

As much as I hate to say it I do want MK to go up automatically so we won't have to face them at Wembley...

But saying that, I don't think I'd like to play Preston or Sheffield United there either. If we go up it's going to be a miracle.

Not a miracle, but against the odds.  But one of the charms of football is that it can happen. 

The first season of the PO's 86/87....I thought it was pretty typical Town, end up in a lottery, after finishing a close third, when that would have been an auto for a good few years previously.

Once they'd become a bit more established, I took the view that finishing outside the top 2 (or 3 in Div 4), showed you weren't quite good enough, but you got a dog's chance.   I still hold this view....if we go up it'll be a surprise, but nothing really lost if we don't.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:40:31 »

I think if we go up we'll do really well in the Championship. Our style + the quality of players we'll have... we'd stay up ok.

The way we play lends itself to the Championship. A lot less over-the-top balls.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #64 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:49:57 »

I want MK Dongs to play Chesterfield in the play off 1st leg because Chesterfield have beaten them 3 times this season and lost once against them, as much as MKD are our bogey team...Chesterfield are MK's.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:57:22 »

I think if we go up we'll do really well in the Championship. Our style + the quality of players we'll have... we'd stay up ok.

The way we play lends itself to the Championship. A lot less over-the-top balls.

If we did go up, then one thing is for sure....our players are going to have to up their misdemeanour level, Lazy Sundae needs to become more Itchycoo Park
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 09:59:22 »

If we did go up, then one thing is for sure....our players are going to have to up their misdemeanour level, Lazy Sundae needs to become more Itchycoo Park

Hahaha. Yeah, I bet none of those Watford players had sweets!

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 10:17:19 »

I know several people who won't go to Wembley. In fact, my best mate booked a holiday that weekend so I couldn't invite him. Bastard! I'd say 25-27k more realistic.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 10:17:56 »

I want MK Dongs to play Chesterfield in the play off 1st leg because Chesterfield have beaten them 3 times this season and lost once against them, as much as MKD are our bogey team...Chesterfield are MK's.

That is a great shout, I didn't think about that

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 10:21:04 »

That is a great shout, I didn't think about that

It is indeed a good call....
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 10:36:11 »

I've been offered a bulk deal on streamers for the play off first leg from partyonup.net.

So if we pool our money together I can order a huge stock of streamers to create an awesome display at Brammal Lane/Proact (delete as appropriate).

If you can help, donate here:
https://plasso.co/[email protected]

I had a good chunk left from the previous round and I've got another donation today from someone on Twitter this morning towards it. I know a lot of you have already donated towards these back for the Port Vale game, but if you can again, that's awesome Smiley

Thanks!

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #71 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 10:54:22 »

If we went up ( unless we changed tactics ) we'd be annihilated week in and week out. Some of those strikers would be devastating against out defence. However, I trust that Power / cooper would be intelligent enough to know this would need changing and I would love the opportunity to be proved wrong.
As for Wembley, if we got there, would think nearer 25k this time. I'm also not sure we'd get a decent home gate in the play offs even if the game is tight.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 10:59:10 »

I'd be severely disappointed if we could only manage 25K at Wembley.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #73 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 11:23:45 »

I'd be severely disappointed if we could only manage 25K at Wembley.
So would I but there's not a great deal of excitement around the place at the moment. Its been a great season with some great football played by some great players at this level. Luongo and Gladwin will attract serious money and Byrne, Smith and Kasim will attract decent money............but I know a lot of Town who do not like this brand of football and  / or don't like Cooper. I like both but I can see what they're saying whilst not agreeing with it.
We've not had a decent home game for ages and our form is crap. The place is flat. Wembley costs a bomb and I know a lot of people who have done it twice and will put their feet up in front of the telly. They're not bothered about being there. Our crowds are down and I worry about next season's crowds if we don't go up.
I just hope we can create a bit of energy around the place and that it gathers pace but I do think 25k is about right. We need a few more Jaybox's.
kerry red

« Reply #74 on: Monday, April 27, 2015, 11:34:08 »

Surely winning the PO semi would generate a bit of excitement on its own.

I do agree about the lack of a decent home game for what seems forever - probably the first 45 mins against Bradford.

When there is no end result to our possession based style it is a bit soporific  and frustrating to watch - it's certainly the reason for the morgue-like CG.

Anyway, I can't go as I'm flying to Kefalonia on the 24th, so I'll be shouting us home in some bar in Lourdas.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: