Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Play offs - 3rd or 4th  (Read 50343 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 12:19:20 »

Oxford is jut another football club that happens to be close rivals due to their proximity as with Bristol, reading ect. Their fans happen to support them because they just happen to come from that particular town/city. If I were born in Oxford, for example, then there'd be a good chance that I'd be an Oxford fan and I think the same goes for the majority of others here.

Franchise, however, is another matter entirely.

Oxford City are the traditional team of Oxford town.....whereas Oxford University are gown.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 12:27:27 »

Yep, same here and I would not wish that upon any other club. Not even the likes of Oxford.

Rivalries are an integral part of football. Abominations such as Franchise are not..... or at least they shouldn't be.
Exactly that, Franchise set an example that could ruin football, Oxford are ultimately just another club.

Banbury's just doing his usual cock waving super fan routine which is getting a bit tiresome now.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 12:34:46 »

Hate is a strong word. I dislike Oxford and both Bristol clubs, love beating them and hate losing to them, but I've known and been friendly with people who support all 3 and we've all got something in common.
'Fans' of franchise however, I wouldn't give the time of day to.

Hate is a strong word and can be described how I feel about them.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 12:40:43 »

Exactly that, Franchise set an example that could ruin football, Oxford are ultimately just another club.

Banbury's just doing his usual cock waving super fan routine which is getting a bit tiresome now.

Bollocks. More to do with history, rivalry and geographical location.
Franchise mean nothing.
For the record have Pox supporting "friends"
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 12:57:41 »

Right, so presuming we are in the play offs, would we rather finish 3rd or 4th?

At least we'd be at home in the 2nd leg but would you rather face Sheffield Utd over 2 legs or Chesterfield* over 2 legs? (*Presumably Chesterfield finish ahead of Rochdale/Fleetwood). Pey!rsonally think we would do Sheff Utd over 2 legs and beat the franchi$e at Wembley!!!

Regarding your post.
3rd place has a slight advantage over 4th and so on.
Whoever we play and where will be cup finals and league position will go out of the window.
Chesterfield battered us away from home until we scored.
Sheffield United argued that they put up a weakened team against us and still beat us at home.
In that game we missed a fair few chances first half.
What would worry me more is the game at Bramhall Lane. By far the loudest club in the division and s play off game there will be as hostile atmosphere than most of our players have ever played in.
Hoping it wouldn't effect them but it will be very very intimidating.
Therefore avoiding them and finishing 3rd in my opinion is an advantage.
If we do have to play Sheffield United though it will be a strobe advantage not having to go there for a second leg.
If it is the play offs then we are not in a bad place but my nerves are going to struggle with them.
kerry red

« Reply #50 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 13:05:49 »

Got to finish 3rd and play Chesterfield.

I'd fancy Blades to turnover Franchise.

Franchise just know how to beat us
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 13:09:09 »

I personally can't comprehend how people can possibly hold such hatred for what is nothing more than another football club. I dislike Oxford, I like to see them lose and I'd love to see us beat them but hatred and detest? There's far more important things in the world to save your hatred for, such as the Conservative party, Nigel Farage or Sweden.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 13:28:47 »

I personally can't comprehend how people can possibly hold such hatred for what is nothing more than another football club. I dislike Oxford, I like to see them lose and I'd love to see us beat them but hatred and detest? There's far more important things in the world to save your hatred for, such as the Conservative party, Nigel Farage or Sweden.

Fucking Swedes, what have they ever done for us?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 13:34:54 »

Exactly. Elevating football rivalry to the rank of hatred is only for the slightly retarded. Like herthab, I have friends (without inverted commas) who properly support Oxford just as much as I support Town. I like us to beat them, but I  respect anyone who persists in supporting their lower-league team through thin and thinner. On the other hand, I can't even imagine being able to keep civil throughout a conversation with a a Franchise customer (though funnily enough I've never met one). They would have to know how much I look down on them.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 14:33:41 »

On the other hand, I can't even imagine being able to keep civil throughout a conversation with a a Franchise customer (though funnily enough I've never met one). They would have to know how much I look down on them.

I have the same problem with nouveau plastic fans of clubs, like ManUre, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.....fair enough, if they can demonstrate proper fandom, like actually knowing a bit about the club, history etc and go regularly to games.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 14:39:22 »

Agree.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 15:29:34 »

I can't stand Oxford or even anything  from Oxford,beer, boat crews, Inspector Morse...

Not sure that is hate. Yeah its a bit pathetic, but there you have it. I make no apologies..

PS: conclusive proof. FACT . Sweden is 0.4 better than Norway. Ignore the ret of the stuff underneath

http://country-facts.findthedata.com/compare/178-179/Sweden-vs-Norway
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 15:54:53 by Batch » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #57 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 15:53:46 »

I'm with Batch on this.

Anything with an Oxford context that appears on the tellybox is met with a dry spit from me.

I wouldn't consider going to the fucking place for any reason - unless we are playing.

Everything and everyone needs a nemesis.

I'd honestly have to think long and hard if I had a choice of us getting promoted or the Pox falling back to the Conference.

Bizarre I know
Combe Down

« Reply #58 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 15:54:55 »

I hate Oxford & won't give to Oxfam. I'm glad to see they've been run out of town at last http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11882289.End_of_an_era_as_last_Oxfam_shop_in_Swindon_closes/
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, April 12, 2015, 15:56:21 »

Interesting stuff on the Pox. Something I'd forgotten was that we were relegated when they went out of the league. I just remember celebrating their demise... No memory of what happened to us. Makes me a bad fan I guess!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: