Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Personal encounters with Town players, past and present.  (Read 14507 times)
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 17:49:23 »

Met Andy Frampton, Aiden Flint and John Paul McGovern at Liddington. My kids wanted autographs. Frampton refused. JPM and Flint were both really nice to the boys.

Met Sean Taylor a lot when he was setting up the Elite development centres. He was always a bit stand-offish, but to be fair there were always loads of dads wanting to get in the way of the coaching by wanting to talk to hom about his Swindon days.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 17:52:50 »

Met Sean Taylor a lot when he was setting up the Elite development centres.

Shaun, it's Shaun.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 17:53:31 »

Met Glenn Hoddle - years ago, wandering around Newbury with a couple of Spurs players the day before they played Town in the cup, 1980.

I used to manage a boys team that played in the same league as Croft, who Peter Coyne's son played for. First game of the season we played them at home and I refereed the game.......and asked Peter to mark my performance after the match (10/10 in case you're wondering.....and we lost 6-1 against a Croft team of 9 players). I think Lou Macari's boy(s?) played for them as well, if I recall correctly, but for an older team.

We used to have training sessions on a field at the back of a pub. One evening Tom Jones, just signed (from Aberdeen...?) and staying in the pub, came out to watch us train and I had a chat with him. He also came to present prizes at the end of the season a couple of times. Tony Galvin and Micky Hazard also performed this task one year, just after Ossie had left for Newcastle.

And Don Rogers was our president. Met him loads of times - at the club as well as in his shop where we used to buy our trophies and kits.....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 17:58:45 »

Oh and I fixed Joe Butlers PC a few years back when he was (may still be) on the taxis. Had a long chat about Wembley and having armed police in the dressing room in Napoli in 1969 thinking he wouldn't get out of the ground alive!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 18:06:27 »

I once saw Chris Blackburn piss in a plant pot opposite Faringdon Road Park.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 18:14:04 »

Seen and know of loan player mishaps and some are quite bad. Happened to a good friend of the wife's, so can't really say. But this player then was kicked out fairly quickly, and had history.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 19:10:58 »

My best friend lives with a current member of the team so he comes round my house quite a lot, got my baby a signed shirt when he was born which I have framed in his nursery which is ace!
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 19:38:54 »

Met Andy Frampton, Aiden Flint and John Paul McGovern at Liddington. My kids wanted autographs. Frampton refused. JPM and Flint were both really nice to the boys.

Met Sean Taylor a lot when he was setting up the Elite development centres. He was always a bit stand-offish, but to be fair there were always loads of dads wanting to get in the way of the coaching by wanting to talk to hom about his Swindon days.
"Elite development" .What a load of old Cods wallop that was.
Took my eldest to a couple of sessions @ Devizes, was"nt prepared to pay the rip off fee for training kit etc.
Shaun Taylor seemed a bit embarressed(sp) by the whole set up imo .
Deliver building materials to Paul Batty now and again,crackin bloke.
Beat Charlie Henry in a game of pool.
Steve White nicked a beer off me in Holland.
Stood on Fitzroy Simpsons foot(in Holland).
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 20:49:38 by Mother Brown » Logged
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 12:40:24 »

Have met Simon Cox have an autographed photo, met quite a few players when I was with the Trust and went pitchside.

Found Danny Wilson to be a real nice guy and happy to chat

I have dealt with Jimmy Quinn & Lou Macari over the phone for various football things
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 12:59:06 »

Don Rogers served me in the club shop, John Gorman signed a book for me (nice guy). Went to a party in Gloucester about 22 years ago. The house we crashed at was owned by a former town player, he was there. Dave something?  He was in his 40's then, so probably played in the late 70's or early 80's

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 13:16:16 »

I've come across numerous ex players over the years, played against and through youth football but I'll stick with surprise incidents.

Iffy onoura phoning my house offering my son a trial at the club.

Arthur horsefield was a warehouse manager a a depot I used to deliver to around the mid 2000's in thurrock. Had no idea who he was until we got talking one day and after hearing where I was from said he played for the club and it went from there. Spoke regularly to him for quite a while after that but not seen him for years after route changes for me. Would think he's retired now.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 13:47:27 »

I play 5-aside football against old Andy Williams (ex-Wales international) every now and then.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 15:36:06 »

So many down the years....
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 19:43:12 »

here's when Bodin knocked me out

/
W56196272