Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Franchise Matchday Thread  (Read 52329 times)
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Sunday, April 5, 2015, 21:41:04 »

Same here.  I'm obviously in the minority, but I think Byrne is vastly overrated.  He's been pretty poor for months now imo.

Same here. Byrne reminds me of Mark Marshall - runs around a lot, looking like he might do something, but achieves very little.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Sunday, April 5, 2015, 21:55:09 »

Surely he is only over rated if someone rates him higher than his ability?  He's a top 4 League One player, he was in the Spurs Youth set-up, he scores or assists in 1 in 4 apps.  I'd say he's probably performing at his level in general.  He is a far better player than Marshall ever was for crying out loud.

We put in a poor defensive performance, we are still 4th in the league making him a player who is currently part of one of our best teams in 2 decades.  That doesn't happen by having a bunch of useless players.

As I've mentioned, Branco is the only player giving me any concern overall.  He will probably go on to improve, but I'd just be careful about exposing him in the system we have in the crunch games against teams with pace who play it into channels or on the floor.  He's still not a bad player, just not yet at that level.  This is a good bunch of footballers, hence so many getting suitors from other clubs above us.
Panda Paws

« Reply #317 on: Sunday, April 5, 2015, 21:59:17 »

Surely he is only over rated if someone rates him higher than his ability?  He's a top 4 League One player, he was in the Spurs Youth set-up, he scores or assists in 1 in 4 apps.  I'd say he's probably performing at his level in general.  He is a far better player than Marshall ever was for crying out loud.

We put in a poor defensive performance, we are still 4th in the league making him a player who is currently part of one of our best teams in 2 decades.  That doesn't happen by having a bunch of useless players.

As I've mentioned, Branco is the only player giving me any concern overall.  He will probably go on to improve, but I'd just be careful about exposing him in the system we have in the crunch games against teams with pace who play it into channels or on the floor.  He's still not a bad player, just not yet at that level.  This is a good bunch of footballers, hence so many getting suitors from other clubs above us.

Top post.

Byrne is one of the best attacking wide players we've had for a long time. The reason he's ineffective at the moment, and Gladwin/Toffolo look so effective, is because of the way teams play against us.

He was still one of the more likely on Saturday.

Ridiculous criticism of him, and the team overall, post defeat seems to be a real theme this season - as if we're massively underperforming against the average expectation we all had for this side rather than grossly overperforming.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Sunday, April 5, 2015, 22:13:10 »

havent read back. was inconsolable yesterday... looking at it though; if bradford get a result tomorrow its as you were.
win our game in hand over franchise and we leapfrog them, win the two in hand over preston and we can go there with fate in our own hands.
its looking unlikely now but stranger things have happened; fingers crossed.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Sunday, April 5, 2015, 23:23:15 »

Byrne gets doubled and trebled up on him pretty much every time he gets the ball. That shows other teams worries about how dangerous he is. Saying that, he leaves us short at the back and leaves Branco very exposed when teams counter.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Sunday, April 5, 2015, 23:47:25 »

Byrne seems to be getting a bit of unwarranted stick on here. Teams have realised how good he was at start of season and doubled and trebled up on him.
I know a few of his own team mates rate him as our best player.
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 07:03:23 »

havent read back. was inconsolable yesterday... looking at it though; if bradford get a result tomorrow its as you were.
win our game in hand over franchise and we leapfrog them, win the two in hand over preston and we can go there with fate in our own hands.
its looking unlikely now but stranger things have happened; fingers crossed.

Except, there is now one less game to play, and another game gone where we lost and Preston didn't...
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 09:34:38 »

I was a little disappointed by Luongo on Saturday. I'm not sure if he is still carrying an injury, or he is exhausted or has maybe already mentally checked out but he is not performing to the standard he was before the whole international recognition.

Or maybe like Byrne he is just being tightly marshalled.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 09:45:07 »

Theres a video online where he says it is time for him to move on. Probably not the wisest time to come out with it at the moment mind.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/423431747764/Luongo-chats-to-TWG
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 10:20:35 »

Remember as well we've got to catch/stay in front of Franchise FC, I think they may get 2nd. They're unfortunately the best side Ive seen home and away this season
paddieu

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 22:09:19 »

Dont have a lot to add to the observations about the game here, most peeps pretty much spot on.

Two things though - the first half was actually good going forward despite the absurd line up.

The thing that killed it for me was starting the 2nd half with the 'wingers' switched over that stayed that way until
the 1-0.

There was total loss of momentum in that time period which was a main reason MD went on to score.

To switch them when there was already a weird midfield formation that had never played together before
meant it was odds on everyone would get lost - and they did.

And Stephens attitude really sucked most of the game. Too big for his boots ??

btw this is my first forum knock on cooper this season - that line up and winger switch was just totally wrong... Suicide
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 22:34:06 »

That boot in to the face of Mass Luongo looked a little late did it not?

Or as Bristol City fans would call it, a dive.

I'm surprised not more was made of that. Watching it replayed the ball was nowhere near where Luongo's head was. To my mind the Franchise foot was flicked out at Luongo as the Franchise player ran past. Unluckily for Luongo his head was the nearest body part.

Watching the match the word  URGENCY  came to mind. They had it, we didn't.  The chances we made were virtually all with one of our players, unsupported, in or around their box. Most of their chances and goals came about from four or five of them running, sprinting even, towards our goal while our defence was ball-watching and not closing down QUICKLY or getting goal side of the bloke they were supposed to be marking, if they actually knew who that was.

The two hours spent watching this game, alone, in a bar in Munich, were to be honest not the best. Actually not completely alone, the barmaid Monica was there. I hope there will be more people and/or Swindon goals in the bar later tonight!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Monday, April 6, 2015, 22:44:42 »

Actually, I hadn't thought about the boot to the head Mass got. He was good first half until then, wonder if he had a bit of concussion or something, as it was a nasty cut, so he got a fair whack.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 06:26:23 »

Remember as well we've got to catch/stay in front of Franchise FC, I think they may get 2nd. They're unfortunately the best side Ive seen home and away this season

nobody will catch Preston...I am more swayed that they could catch city...difficult to beat with Garner and 'playing at my level' Beckford scoring for fun...

I cannot see them slipping..

Clems Army!
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Tuesday, April 7, 2015, 15:08:46 »

Going back to the international breaks...this is the first season we have been affected, and I think I see now why some Premier League managers hate them.  Suddenly, three or four times a season, a raft of players are removed for ten days to two weeks, sent all over the world into different training regimes, leading to different style of play in who knows what sort of conditions.  Our three (and then six) are all young and inexperienced....it must be hugely disruptive for the 'home' team, and it has shown itself to be so for Town, certainly, on both occasions this side of Christmas.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: