Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ramblings of an old man  (Read 1925 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« on: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 21:08:23 »

Just saw a picture of Arthur Horsfield in action against Juve on Twitter and decided to show my Dad. This seemed to cause a few sparks and he went off on a few tangents which he can't really remember.

1. In the early 60s my Dad was in hospital with Pneumonia, and says Wilf Shergold came to visit him in the hospital. I recognised his name from the poster on here, so we looked him up and found the basics about his time at Town via the excellent Swindon-town-fc.co.uk. Does anyone know what Wilf did after football or is up to now? Think he's about 71 now...

2. Apparently, my great uncle Brian used to run a café in Gorse Hill that all the players used to go to, possibly the 'Robins cafe' or somesuch? If anyone could shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 21:33:13 »

A lot of the players used to use a cafe on the corner of Manchester road/County road, it was Nottons I believe.  It is where Sharland roofing is now.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 21:33:15 »

Wilf, was one of Bert's babes, a Swindon lad, he was a wing half, a name given to what we'd now call a defensive midfielder.

He was never quite good enough to be a regular, but a useful squad man, his 30 odd games being over about 4 seasons.

Interestingly Wilf's old man Bill, played 275 games for Newport from 47-55.....and Bill was a Newport born, one club man, but at some point Bill ended up in Swindon, I know not why.

Wilf's final season was 65/66,  back in Div 3, when he played his most games, under Danny Williams. Danny obviously didn't fancy him long term, as he brought in Brian Richardson an ageing Sheff U stalwart of many years.  Brian was well past it, and at season's end both were gone Wilf to Bradford City, for one season then he was done.  Danny paid 5K to Carlisle, for his replacement wing half...Stan Harland.

Wilf was last heard off living in Dorset, no idea what he did in between.

Cafe would be the Robin's Nest.

« Last Edit: Sunday, March 29, 2015, 21:35:52 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 30, 2015, 07:28:46 »

Bournemouth area it would appear.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/archive/2013/09/18/10681110.Wilf_Shergold/?ref=arc

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: