Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ryder Cup 2023  (Read 3760 times)
Munichred

Ignore
« on: Saturday, December 17, 2022, 05:45:53 »

I've managed to get a couple of tickets in the ballot, for the Sunday next year in Rome. Advice/tips would be appreciated from anyone who has been to a final day: follow one pair? stay around one green or tee? ??
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 17, 2022, 12:19:41 »

Went on the Sunday in 1993 at The Belfry.

Would recommend a combination of the two approaches.
So maybe follow one of the early matches until about half way, pick a good viewing spot (tee or green) and watch a few more matches go through before picking up one of the later pairings.
Depends on the weather and how easy it is to get around the course as well.
If you get there early enough then it's worth spending some time in the stand overlooking the practice area.

As an aside, spotted the cricketer Chris Broad that day with a future England test match legend perched on his shoulders.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 17, 2022, 22:29:22 »

Went on the Sunday in 1993 at The Belfry.

Would recommend a combination of the two approaches.
So maybe follow one of the early matches until about half way, pick a good viewing spot (tee or green) and watch a few more matches go through before picking up one of the later pairings.
Depends on the weather and how easy it is to get around the course as well.
If you get there early enough then it's worth spending some time in the stand overlooking the practice area.

As an aside, spotted the cricketer Chris Broad that day with a future England test match legend perched on his shoulders.

Thanks, sounds like a good plan.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 1, 2023, 15:31:48 »

Hope you made it & had a cracking time Munichred.

Well done to Europe!

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 1, 2023, 19:45:34 »

I'm no golf person. But what a competition this is. Absolutely brilliant viewing (when we win!).

very jealous of Munichred if he made it
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 1, 2023, 21:12:44 »

Well done to Europe!

He's still in the lake on the 16th
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 2, 2023, 10:37:48 »

I like golf, but can take or leave it on TV generally.

But the Ryder Cup is compulsive viewing
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 4, 2023, 17:02:41 »

Well done to Europe!

I did indeed make it and have a cracking time Smiley   (For those not interested in a tedious travelogue, skip to the last paragraph)
A great performance by Europe and USA did well to come back on the Sunday. I watched the Friday morning matches at home, followed the other Friday/Saturday matches online. We had to get up 6am on the Sunday and got to the course around 9. Very well organised train and shuttle buses.
The fan village was enormous. Bought a Ryder Cup pitchmark repairer, although the way I'm playing atm it won't get much use...  Had a go at a couple of putting competitions, my mate Chris had the top score of the day on a chipping contest. Made our way to the 5th green, the stands were mostly already full. Loads of viewing spots and big screens around. Lots of banter from various Europ/USA fans and some very inventive costumes/suits. Several groups dressed as gladiators but the prize went to three USA fans "riding" Stars and Stripes blow-up dinosaurs. (think of Bernie Clifton and his ostrich). Waiting for a couple of hours in 28 degrees or the first pairs was alleviated by a couple of beers. There were ample big Food and Drink hubs around the course, catering for most tastes. Must say the fish and chips was the best I've eaten outside of the UK, proper soggyish chips and a big piece of cod.
We watched the first 8 or 9 matches come through then changed to a spot right next to the 9th green. Saw Tommy Fleetwood hole a bunker shot  Smiley
Then moved to watch the 16th green but impossible to get close. For the last hour we were by the 17th green. Amongst others, Curtis Strange and his wife were sat  on the grass just in front of me, albeit inside the ropes. She was wearing the biggest ladies watch I've ever seen. So we were there when the Cup was secured and when a lot of fans jumped into the water. We eventually went on the green to take the obligatory close-up photos of the hole. It was difficult to tell if the grass was real, more like very fine Astroturf. The fairway was also like a carpet.
Those watching on TV would have seen a lot more action than those on the course but the atmosphere and "being there" was great!
We were in Rome Friday evening-Monday evening and saw a bit of the city. A three hour Colosseum tour on Saturday and 3 hour Bike Tour on Monday. Beautiful city with an amazing histoty. Lots of bars, restaurants, Irish pubs, narrow cobbled streets. Too many tourists... Well worth visiting.

On the flight back I was sat next to a guy from Wolverhampton who had been with a group of mates on an organised package tour and was flying from Munich on to Birmingham. It turned out we had both been in the crowd when Wolves beat us in the 1980 League Cup semi final. As all Town fans who were there, he remembered the incident when the Wolves goalie, Paul Bradshaw, took out Alan Mayes mid-air to give us a penalty. A definate VAR red card nowadays. According to the Wolves fan, the last he heard of Paul Bradshaw was that he was "on the streets".  No
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 5, 2023, 06:02:57 »

Quote from: Munichred
but the prize went to three USA fans "riding" Stars and Stripes blow-up dinosaurs:

They made it into the sky sports coverage briefly.

The commentary quip was something like 'celebrating the era the USA last won the cup in Europe'.
--
Glad you got there and enjoyed it. Central Rome is great isn't it
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 5, 2023, 08:02:47 »

Good writeup Munichred.

Ryder Cup is an iconic event, definitely worth a visit & including a city break.

Crap!
Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 5, 2023, 08:57:55 »

They made it into the sky sports coverage briefly.

The commentary quip was something like 'celebrating the era the USA last won the cup in Europe'.
--

Clap
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: