Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glenn Hoddle documentary  (Read 7913 times)
JayBox325

Ignore
« on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:40:21 »

Here's the Glenn Hoddle documentary for those that haven't seen it.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:52:44 »

Just watched it Jay. It was excellent.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 01:17:50 »

Watched this on sky the other day and thought it was a good watch. Le Tissier really doesn't like him!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 09:14:49 »

Good to see they even used footage from the Channel 4 documentary
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:10:58 »

All the way through his career and afterwards people were saying (rightly) that the England team should have been built around Hoddle and that he should have had 100 caps.

With that in mind you have to say that it's an irony of ironies that (amazingly) having managed to produce a player of arguably similar quality in Matt Le Tissier and Hoddle himself managing the England team, Le Tissier only played 8 times for England.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:28:03 »

It was ironic

I would say that whilst Hoddle could contribute to the style and play of a whole team for 90 minutes, Le Tiss would tend to have far less influence and then, out of nowhere, score two world class goals to turn a match on its head (not unlike the Don on one of his quieter days)

It was great to see some of our legends of the early 90's - not least Oooh! Sean Taylor and the brave, brave goal that surely took us into the Premier League.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 11:32:43 »

All the way through his career and afterwards people were saying (rightly) that the England team should have been built around Hoddle and that he should have had 100 caps.

With that in mind you have to say that it's an irony of ironies that (amazingly) having managed to produce a player of arguably similar quality in Matt Le Tissier and Hoddle himself managing the England team, Le Tissier only played 8 times for England.

You may recall that Hoddle picked le Tissier for a key WC qualifier at home to Italy in 97.....Glenn picked a sexy line up, in an attempt to outwit a very good Italian team....but it didn't work, Zola scored fairly early and Tiss missed a sitter. He was hauled off after an hour for Les Ferdinand and never seen again.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 11:54:34 »

Yes, now you mention it Reg I do. There's nothing like giving some one a chance, and that was nothing like....

Inexplicable really.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 12:01:19 »

Yes, now you mention it Reg I do. There's nothing like giving some one a chance, and that was nothing like....

Inexplicable really.

I suppose man management wasn't Glenn's strongest suit....he'd probably argue the fact that England got to the 98 WC and at least performed memorably, justified his decision.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 12:28:07 »

I remember being told at the time by some one I had no reason to doubt that the players didn't like Hoddle at all and Gorman looked after the whole man management side of things. This is of course why Hoddle took Gorman with him everywhere he went with the exception of Chelsea.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 13:45:39 »

I remember being told at the time by some one I had no reason to doubt that the players didn't like Hoddle at all and Gorman looked after the whole man management side of things. This is of course why Hoddle took Gorman with him everywhere he went with the exception of Chelsea.
There is an element of the truth in this.

I worked at the club at the time he was manager but he was always distant from most of the players and other staff members which was the opposite of JG who had a lot of time and a word to say with everyone.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 13:54:16 »

You may recall that Hoddle picked le Tissier for a key WC qualifier at home to Italy in 97.....Glenn picked a sexy line up, in an attempt to outwit a very good Italian team....but it didn't work, Zola scored fairly early and Tiss missed a sitter. He was hauled off after an hour for Les Ferdinand and never seen again.
Didn't Le Tissier's brother let slip to the press that he was playing and the element of suprise was lost. Le Tissier was the classic Big Fish in a Little Pond at Southampton

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:04:08 »

Every manager will have players who dislike him. Usually because they don't get selected. Others won't like him much but it will have no impact on how they do their job. I think some were probably jealous a bit as hoddle was miles better than any of them on the park.Gorman was a good no2 as the players liked him so could go between the players and boss but was useless as manager. You don't have to be popular to be a good manager
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 16:08:46 by arriba » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 30, 2015, 07:52:22 »

Ian Walker should have done better.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 30, 2015, 08:45:05 »

Ian Walker should have done better.

Too true. And if I recall the ref was truly awful. In direct contrast to the one we had in Italy who was excellent (I think).

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: