Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Zealand  (Read 6346 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:01:14 »

what i want to know is where was Zealand?

Denmark....it's still there.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:09:52 »

It's the biggest land mass of Denmark,  isn't it reg?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:36:31 »

It's the biggest land mass of Denmark,  isn't it reg?

I seem to remember Denmark consisting of Jutland, which is the biggest bit yutting from Germany....then islands Zealand, Lolland, Funen....with Bornholm a bit further out.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:50:41 »

Ah, Jutland.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 15:07:01 »

Assuming you're sticking to the South Island, finishing the 2 week road trip back in Christchurch, and don't like going back on yourself too much, I'd recommend something like this:

Christchurch to the west via Arthur's Pass (stop for a hike, lots of Kea (parrots) here); south to Franz Josef glacier, with a stop at Lake Matheson; down to Wanaka (reminiscent of the Lake District); Queenstown (nice relaxed city, and jumping off point for Fiordland); Milford Sound (worth getting up early or staying late to avoid crowds), kayaking on Doubtful Sound if you're feeling flush, or Lake Manapouri if you're not (private hire a kayak on the cheap); north via Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo (good for stargazing); ending back in Christchurch

Alternatively, if you cross at Arthur's Pass and head north instead, up through Paparoa National Park (you can camp here under a giant rock called the 'Ballroom Overhang'); Nelson (okay for night), Abel Tasman (stunning for beaches/ kayaking), down to the Nelson Lakes, east to Queen Charlotte Sound; Marlborough Vineyards if you're a wine ponce; Picton ferry for a couple of days in Wellington; back over to Kaikoura for the whales; and south again to Christchurch.

Think those would be the two most natural two week loops from Christchurch. You could do a mixture of both, but the road links on the South Island are not the best, so you need to plan your itinerary carefully to make best use of your time. Amazing place though. What I wrote above only scratches the surface.  Smiley
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:58:45 »

I spent 5 weeks there in 2006. It is a stunning country.

Don't miss the glaciers (Franz Josef or Fox). The treks are hard work but a real experience.

Hire a car - the drives are as spectacular as the destinations themselves. The lesser known lakes you come across are beautiful.

Don't miss Roturua - the hot spas aren't mindblowing, but they're worth seeing. The sulphur stench is enough to send you on your way after a day or two. Make sure you do the mountain 'luge' there too. Cultural, no, but more fun than any go karting you'll ever do.

Do a wine tour or two around Blenheim.

Take in the Maori culture, but beware the tourist packaged "Maori experience" type evenings. They have all the authenticity of the Bletchley Stealers.

Whale watch in Kaikoura (they gave us half our money back because we only saw two whales!).

Skydive over Lake Taupo. There's also a prawn farm with its very own prawn-themed golf driving range in Taupo. Not many places can say that.

Definitely don't miss Milford Sound. It's out of the way, but hopefully you'll get a clear, still day as we did. You won't forget it in a hurry.

Build in time to amble. NZ is stacked full of things to see, but it's not a country to be rushed. You will love it.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 07:45:32 »

They had a little island out in the water at Taupo with a golf hole 200 yards out. I missed the hole by inches for $500. There is  also a luge at Queenstown, which is brilliant fun as well.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:43:57 »

They had a little island out in the water at Taupo with a golf hole 200 yards out. I missed the hole by inches for $500. There is  also a luge at Queenstown, which is brilliant fun as well.
Ha, I did both of those too. Loved Queenstown luge. I was like an over excited child when I got to Rotorua to find the luge was 10 times the length.
Boy About Town
Pricko

Often outnumbered, never outgunned.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:14:53 »

It's near Lyneham, and has a chicken factory. I've worked in there.

Girl Giggle

Now, ain't that just like me?
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 01:16:36 »

All the positive comments on here are true and more besides...

One thing missing....

The County Ground on a Saturday afternoon  Sad

COYMR's
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, April 23, 2015, 10:18:54 »

Christchurch
Kaikora
Blenheim
Golden bay
Nelson
Westport
Queenstown
Dunedin
Akaroa
Christchurch

This is our places we are going to, missed anything?
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, April 23, 2015, 11:07:19 »

Christchurch?  Smiley
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, April 23, 2015, 12:54:58 »

Christchurch
Kaikora
Blenheim
Golden bay
Nelson
Westport
Queenstown
Dunedin
Akaroa
Christchurch

This is our places we are going to, missed anything?

If you arent touching north Island, I'd def set a day aside to do the Picton-wellington ferry if only  for a day trip, unmissable Imo.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, April 23, 2015, 15:54:40 »

Yeah i think i missed picton ferry off
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: