Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clarkson's Gone  (Read 8184 times)
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:37:59 »

Do you really believe that? What a complete and utter wast of police time and public funds.

Yes we would. But plenty of people have lashed out and not been sacked. Rugby players, probably a fair few footballers behind closed doors, John Prescott.

Not everyone is equal.
--
The BBC have handled this badly, leaks galore. But they have to act to policy and I assume that's what they have done. No doubt Clarkson has acted like a prize tit, and has paid the price. Shame all round really.

"John will be John" hit someone who assaulted him with an egg, one could argue the chap on the receiving end deserved it. Equally we could also argue that punch ups with rugby players is between those with similar status.

My problem with Clarkson is he appears to have come across as a bully and assaulted someone who is "lower down the rank", and thus is not in a position to defend himself professionally given Clarkson's money making-abilities and power within the BBC.

It's notable that it was Clarkson that referred himself, not the victim.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:46:43 »

"John will be John" hit someone who assaulted him with an egg, one could argue the chap on the receiving end deserved it.

Can you could list what is acceptable provocation to "deserve it".
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:51:42 »

So what do people think about this?

I always enjoyed Top Gear, even when they made some awkward comments or did something overscripted that wouldn't pass as anything other than cringeworthy (this happened more often than not in the more recent series). I for one though, will miss Clarkson's presence on the BBC. The three of them were the core essence of Top Gear and no matter who they bring in, they won't ever be able to replicate the 'three blokes in the pub having a laugh and being childish' aspects which were when it was at its best.

I know a lot of people dislike Clarkson, so I expect violent disagreement in this.

Known by a few round here. First class twat.
Glad.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:52:11 »

Can you could list what is acceptable provocation to "deserve it".

The point I'm making Batch is Prescott was without provocation physically assaulted and retaliated while perhaps not being aware of what has happened, that is different to what appears in Clarkson's case of verbally and physically assaulting a young member of the crew (who is not in position to defend himself against a very powerful "name") simply for not organising a steak.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:54:12 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 20:00:55 »

I know, I'm playing Devils Advocate. But none the less, some people do get away with hitting people.

Oisin Tymon is 36 and has worked on Top Gear for a decade. Not exactly "young". Unable to defend himself against a name, it appears not - had he put the complaint in the end result would be the same.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 20:26:10 »

Clarkson comes across as a bigoted, self righteous cunt and appeals to other bigoted, self righteous cunts.
Top Gear lost its appeal to me years ago, it became a parody. It wasn't 'edgy' as Jay ascertained, if anything it was boringly predictable and repetitive.
yup.

I used to enjoy it but even as someone who isn't anything near a petrolhead, the lack of actual car stuff on the show became tiresome
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 20:33:41 »

This will keep Top Gear going for a while longer.  Clarkson could be a cock, but I don't dislike him.  But the programme had become stale.  It needs fresh blood.  I have a feeling that in 12 months from now, folk will be asking why a shake up had not happened before.

Gary Lineker on MOTD...there's another BBC stalwart who's stayed in his post for too long as well.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:07:17 »

Have you seen Stewart Lee's rant about Top Gear? It's on YouTube and I think you'd like it.

i have mate-i love it

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
adje

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:11:09 »

This will keep Top Gear going for a while longer.  Clarkson could be a cock, but I don't dislike him.  But the programme had become stale.  It needs fresh blood.  I have a feeling that in 12 months from now, folk will be asking why a shake up had not happened before.

Gary Lineker on MOTD...there's another BBC stalwart who's stayed in his post for too long as well.

totally in agreement with that_he's so smarmy he slides ohff the bottom of my screen

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DMR

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:45:04 »

Couldn't give a flying one

That's not the phrase
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:45:46 »

Gross misconduct. I recently left my job for similar reasons although I didn't deck anyone

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:46:10 »

Apparently West Yorkshire Police wants the evidence from the BBC so maybe they can press charges...
This seems to be all over the media...   Hawes where it happened is in North Yorkshire not west!
Levi lapper

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 23:30:36 »

Gross misconduct. I recently left my job for similar reasons although I didn't deck anyone

Cool story bro.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 12:22:57 »

Can`t understand why he reported himself - enjoyed his Brunel and St Nazaire documentaries very much - they all need replacing on Top Gear not just Clarkson - the format had got a bit too samey in the last year or so. Can`t believe how some people really do go over the top with their dislike of the bloke though....is he an alcoholic..?

Bathtime
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 12:32:13 »

Can`t believe how some people really do go over the top with their dislike of the bloke though....is he an alcoholic..?

Why would that be a good reason to hate him? There are much more obvious ones

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: