Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Clarkson's Gone  (Read 8243 times)
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:08:30 »

So what do people think about this?

I always enjoyed Top Gear, even when they made some awkward comments or did something overscripted that wouldn't pass as anything other than cringeworthy (this happened more often than not in the more recent series). I for one though, will miss Clarkson's presence on the BBC. The three of them were the core essence of Top Gear and no matter who they bring in, they won't ever be able to replicate the 'three blokes in the pub having a laugh and being childish' aspects which were when it was at its best.

I know a lot of people dislike Clarkson, so I expect violent disagreement in this.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:10:55 »

I really enjoyed Top Gear and I enjoyed the 'edginess' of it. It wasn't like any other show. But it's not the BBC's fault he's gone, it's his. He let the fans down. I don't agree with some of his decisions, but if you were a fan of Top Gear you can't deny he was a great asset to the show.

I'm sure they'll replace him with someone similar (hopefully Alan Partridge).

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
kerry red

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:12:23 »

Couldn't give a flying one
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:14:52 »

Saw a tweet earlier from May that he won't be renewing his BBC contract next month

Bet SKY are opening the cheque book in preperation

It was a retweet from someone and having looked at Mays account can't find it  Crash so may be bollox.

Only watched TG when bugger all else on so not fussed either way
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:18:44 by @mwooly63 » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:35:54 »

He leaves...

The other two leave and start another show...

Clems Army!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:37:49 »

I think its a much more complicated situation than the polemics on both sides would have you believe.

It seems that Clarkson doesn't dispute the facts of what happened, and in fact reported the incident himself (the producer who's being vilified had nothing to do with it). Clearly what he did deserves punishment- probably criminal as well as from his employer as it hapenned during work time.

The 'you or I would be sacked if we did this' brigade have a point but are missing the wider picture: sacking Clarkson would appear to damage the BBC and the production team far more than Clarksom himself who could waltz on to another channel tomorrow. On the other hand the Tank-driving types who think JC is god's gift and deserves to be allowed to punch whoever he likes are clearly being ridiculous.

Ideal situation I think would be for Clarkson publically apologise, do some community service and be hit in the pocket, ideally doing the next series without pay while his salary is split between the production team he seems to treat poorly.

As that's not likely to happen while Clarkson is in a surprisingly strong negotaiting position I think the BBC haven't really had much choice. People say that talent doesn't excuse being a dickhead, but life is littered with examples of exactly that.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:55:45 »

He acted like a child and then lashed out - seems like the facts aren't being denied. He's an arrogant cunt who has a talent that regardless of what the fuck he does people will pay and that allows him to be an arrogant brat.
If it was me or you we'd be sacked and might well struggle to get another job. That probably wouldn't play too well to the mrs, would it. What did you get sacked for - oh I smacked someone because I wanted steak. Sorry we won't be able to pay the mortgage or buy things for the kids.
There are no consequences for the arrogant brattish cunts like Clarkson, Brand, Ross etc, they play on it and they know it.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:31:58 »

I think it's a little more complicated than him punching someone because of lack of steak. I think that might have been the final moment where his annoyance at the way the show is run/a crap year burst out. I think we've all had moments in our lives where the anger has been building up to a certain point and something small and ridiculous finally cracks us. Clarkson is a human being after all.

He also has form because he punched Piers Morgan after Morgan had been hounding him and his family for column space. But whilst that was a public service, this was obviously a situation that should never have happened.

I do think he is genuinely remorseful for what he's done. It's easy to paint him as a money-grabber but frankly he is not particularly different to one of those working-class made-good types who often own something like a gravel merchants or Sports Direct. He had an idea, it worked, made him a lot of money, and there is no reason to hate him for being shrewd or lucky. He's hardly a saint but I do think deep down he is a generally well-meaning person. A bit of an anachronistic dinosaur at times, yes, but a decent person.

This is gleaned from the way he discusses things in his columns and the few times I've seen him with his guard down (Who do You Think You Are and when he did stuff like his WW2 documentaries). Entirely different person in those to the 'arrogant twat' you see sometimes on Top Gear.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:32:37 »

Had it's day anyway, there are only so many times you can say cock or power (Not LP obviously) They'll try to resurrect it but meh.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:03:06 »

cant believe this was the lead item on the 4.00 news.This country is becoming  a trivial cunt

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:23:24 »

Clearly what he did deserves punishment- probably criminal as well .

Do you really believe that? What a complete and utter wast of police time and public funds.

If it was me or you we'd be sacked

Yes we would. But plenty of people have lashed out and not been sacked. Rugby players, probably a fair few footballers behind closed doors, John Prescott.

Not everyone is equal.
--
The BBC have handled this badly, leaks galore. But they have to act to policy and I assume that's what they have done. No doubt Clarkson has acted like a prize tit, and has paid the price. Shame all round really.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:27:59 »

i hate clarkson but i hate that annoying hamster twat even more

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:28:59 »

Clarkson comes across as a bigoted, self righteous cunt and appeals to other bigoted, self righteous cunts.
Top Gear lost its appeal to me years ago, it became a parody. It wasn't 'edgy' as Jay ascertained, if anything it was boringly predictable and repetitive.

It's All Good..............
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:30:43 »

i hate clarkson but i hate that annoying hamster twat even more
Have you seen Stewart Lee's rant about Top Gear? It's on YouTube and I think you'd like it.

It's All Good..............
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:33:57 »

Do you really believe that? What a complete and utter wast of police time and public funds.

Apparently West Yorkshire Police wants the evidence from the BBC so maybe they can press charges...

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: