Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Americanization of TEF  (Read 15572 times)
Talk Talk

« Reply #45 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 09:17:29 »

It pisses me off but then it seems most computers are set to American English by default, so even I end up using it on occasion.

I share your annoyance Chalky, particularly with Micro$oft (see what I did there?) software. The language options are always listed as:

English (British)
English (United States)

NO, IT'S JUST ENGLISH. NOT FUCKING BRITISH ENGLISH. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 10:40:40 »

Successive generations always think that language is in decline. It's just evolving, because it's a living usage that isn't tied to the written standards and never has been.

Very true....but there's no reason why we can't have standards on the TEF.

I paid a visit to view the Magna Carta in Sarum Cathedral last week....it is written in Medieval Latin, now I've an "O" level in Classical Latin, so could pick out a few words and phrases....seemingly mostly about keeping the Welsh in their place.

However Latin is a classic  Smiley example of what happens when a language doesn't evolve.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 10:44:36 »

Carpe Diem, Reg.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:12:54 »

Very true....but there's no reason why we can't have standards on the TEF.

I paid a visit to view the Magna Carta in Sarum Cathedral last week....it is written in Medieval Latin, now I've an "O" level in Classical Latin, so could pick out a few words and phrases....seemingly mostly about keeping the Welsh in their place.

However Latin is a classic  Smiley example of what happens when a language doesn't evolve.
Assuming that wasn't just a vehicle for a terrible pun, it kind of isn't as Latin did evolve - the very fact that you could only pick out a few words and phrases because of the difference between Classical and Medieval Latin demonstrates that. What did for Latin was conquest and the fall of empires. The same could yet well do for English. But it won't alter the fact that while there are people speaking English, the Americans are speaking a backwards 17th century peasant version of it.
Combe Down

« Reply #49 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 08:24:13 »

I hate the way the yanks say pheNOMenOM rather than un.
kerry red

« Reply #50 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 08:27:07 »

I hate the way the 82ers say ideal instead of idea.

How the fuck did that come about?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 08:42:43 »

I hate the way the yanks say pheNOMenOM rather than un.

One that bugs me: "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

Ngghhh.
REDBUCK

« Reply #52 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 08:44:50 »

Years of shit education and the fact that they like the fact that it makes them different!!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 09:39:03 »

I hate the way the 82ers say ideal instead of idea.

How the fuck did that come about?

I've pondered this, and can only assume its one of those strange quirks probably caused by inbreeding.....I believe Bristol was originally called Bristow.....stow being an old word for a market. It presumably ended up Bristol, like idea ended up ideal.

A similar thing would be the lispy speech defect in Spanish ....apparently due to Habsburg family inbreeding, that was the only way the king could speak. so his courtiers thought they'd they'd better do it as well, and it caught on.
Combe Down

« Reply #54 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 10:27:33 »

Back to the topic of the thread: I went to Oxford Pride yesterday. Had a wander round the center of AngloDisney and heard loads of American accents. I overheard a couple of yankee lads saying how hot it was & it would be nice to 'go barefoot'. That really has invaded the UK. Correctly it should be barefooted, like bare headed and bare chested.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 13:40:10 »

One that bugs me: "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less".

Ngghhh.

grubby

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 15:32:24 »

Yesterday I was told 'You look tan'. Tanned you that.
Mrs Brown

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 18:09:16 »

Oooh, just noticed this thread... don't get me started!

'Friends' must take the blame for that horrible, horrible expression, "Can I get....?" instead of "I would like..." or "Please may I have..." in a restaurant, cafe, bar, etc.  Makes me shudder each time I hear it.

'Neighbours' must take the blame for the equally nasty interrogative inflection, where people state a fact but sound like they're asking a question, thereby making themselves sound incredibly dim.

Husband hates it when he and I go out for a meal and we are addressed as "Guys" by the waiting staff.  Something else that very probably originated in the United States.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 18:27:28 »

A similar thing would be the lispy speech defect in Spanish ....apparently due to Habsburg family inbreeding, that was the only way the king could speak. so his courtiers thought they'd they'd better do it as well, and it caught on.
Urban legend I think.....
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, June 7, 2015, 20:27:11 »

'Friends' must take the blame for that horrible, horrible expression, "Can I get....?" instead of "I would like..." or "Please may I have..." in a restaurant, cafe, bar, etc.  Makes me shudder each time I hear it.

This! Fucking pisses me off that one. You barely hear anyone ask for anything without using it nowadays.  Suicide
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: