Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Americanization of TEF  (Read 15591 times)
Hammer

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 01:09:53 »

So, with the gradual infusion of boredom and a certain degree of pedantry I submit the following observations.

The TEF has generally upheld certain traditions. To name but a few......we don't agree with the existence of Franchise. We don't like drums. Town should play in white shorts. We should preserve the Rolex clock....we should somehow bring back the sound of the Railway works Horn. The list goes on.....

Additionally, scorn is poured over text speak and other linguistic mis-givings.

So why, oh why, is nothing said of Americanisms which seem to flow quite freely, not just on here, but definitely on social media and within society in general ?

I submit the findings of a recent poll whereby it was found, amongst the respondents, that about two thirds were aged 36 or older. Yet many, shockingly, still lapse into Americanised fodder. Disgusting.

I'll give a few examples that have become noticeable over recent weeks:

It's Programme, not Program
It's Centre, not Center
It's Metre, not Meter
It's Got, not Gotten
It's Heading, not Headed

I'm sure there are several more examples. No, we can't blame auto-correct....otherwise we relinquish the right to blame the Adver for their typos. We all have the ability to proof read.

And one for Reg....since when did a railway station become a train station ? I joyously await the time when Heathrow Airport becomes West London Plane Station. Or not.

Surely, if we can't preserve the traditions of our own language, which was passed on to our American cousins, then what right do we have to maintain and preserve those traditions which we claim are closest to our hearts ?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 01:41:20 by Hammer » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 02:27:12 »

Fuck yeah!
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 04:29:08 »

Fuck yeah!
No... It's Fuck Yes Cheesy
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 05:37:30 »

That sucks, man!
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 06:10:08 »

Gee, that Hammer dude sure is a buzzkill.

It's All Good..............
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 07:16:18 »

High five
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 07:33:09 »

I'll agree with some of that.  But a computer program has always been a computer program.  And I don't think I've ever talked about a 'railway station' in my life.  (And that one can't be an Americanisation, can it?  There are only about 4 places in the US where they have trains.)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 08:19:05 »

You guys suck

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 08:20:13 »

Its a hooter not a horn yanky capitalist shit
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 08:27:24 »

Jeez, what a douche
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 08:56:12 »

It's an interesting subject Hammer and one that is a bug bear of mine. As has been mentioned though, train station is not an Americanization, it's just a question of 'train' being quicker and easier to say than 'railway'. If we started calling them 'railroad' stations that would definitely be an Americanization.

I would love to know though, on what date and at what time did films become movies, biscuits become cookies. When did the first school 'prom' take place and the first British kids go 'trick or treating'? When was the first (and this is the most nauseating for me) baby shower? The first person to call a pavement or foot path a side walk should be executed (although I suspect we are already on a slippery slope there)

Some of these things a very recent. I was in New York for Thanksgiving in 2010 and remember explaining to people when I got back, what Black Friday was. Now you can't escape it.

I suppose it's mostly down to t'internet, films/movies and peoples' limitless capacity to be brain washed.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 09:01:53 »

I'm wondering if the 'z' in the thread title is ironic deliberately.
Amir

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 09:03:12 »

Language is constantly evolving, and always will be. For example, we took spellings such as centre and metre from the French. The American spelling is more traditional English, if that's the aim.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 09:18:11 »

Get with the program guys
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 09:26:26 »

I'm wondering if the 'z' in the thread title is ironic deliberately.

Clap

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: