Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 46 Years (Swindon Town 3-1 Arsenal)  (Read 7788 times)
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 16:54:03 »

It still means everything to me, and yes I was there (train 21? Or was it 12?). But context is all. At that time money was coming in to the game with the abolition of the maximum wage, however it was still sensible, relatively. Teams wanted to win cups rather than stay in the money ball league, the LC (and FAC) was played with as much seriousness as the league.

But I think it'll fade away in importance to younger fans because all you see now is Prem league reserve teams. It wasn't like that back then, it was serious!

Still reckon the 3rd game in the semi v Burnley is my favorite match though:1-0, 1-2, 3-2 aet.
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 19:03:53 »

Went up as a family. Was 4 years old. Sister and Mum went shopping I believe. Me and Dad went to the football. Not sure if I remember through being told so much or if I remember myself TBH. Appartently when the winner went in I was tossed 5 six rows of terrace towards the pitch and got passed back to me old man once the madness had quelled.

We met up with me Mum and Sister sometime later in Leicester Square and went to see chitty chitty bang bang so I've been told.

The one thing I deffo remember was some scary big nose fucker with a net.

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 22:17:49 »

Yes....was there with my mum and dad all from East Hagbourne.

Very special day and even today I still believe in miracles.... Smiley

COYMR's
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 22:35:47 »

Went up as a family. Was 4 years old. Sister and Mum went shopping I believe. Me and Dad went to the football. Not sure if I remember through being told so much or if I remember myself TBH. Appartently when the winner went in I was tossed 5 six rows of terrace towards the pitch and got passed back to me old man once the madness had quelled.

We met up with me Mum and Sister sometime later in Leicester Square and went to see chitty chitty bang bang so I've been told.

The one thing I deffo remember was some scary big nose fucker with a net.

Robson Green?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 22:41:01 »

Joined the village social club where we moved to recently. The Chairman is a Palace fan, all he wanted to talk about was 1969 and the Don, my wife thought I was sad bringing it up! I was too young to go, but it's certainly my old fella's best day on this planet.
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 23:06:56 »

I didn't start going until 1975, but the League Cup was still spoken about. By then we'd dropped back to the third division but everyone expected us to be back up again soon despite a lot of those great players having gone. There was still a kind of buzz about that win.

Even though it was before my time, looking back now it's our finest hour.
REDBUCK

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, March 15, 2015, 23:49:35 »

Joined the village social club where we moved to recently. The Chairman is a Palace fan, all he wanted to talk about was 1969 and the Don, my wife thought I was sad bringing it up! I was too young to go, but it's certainly my old fella's best day on this planet.

Apart from the day you were born maybe
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 07:37:56 »

Grandad and dad went up from Warminster....

Finest hour.

City's last title win was only 14 years earlier!

Clems Army!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:11:52 »

Long before I was born, my mum was 6 and my dad was 5 so they didn't go. Older Aunties and Uncles have told tales of it though and my Uncle kindly gave me a 'road to wembley' programme signed several times by every player.

Agree with the comments that it seems almost mythical.
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:18:26 »

Older Arsenal Fans I have spoken to over the years are almost like Holocaust deniers when it comes to discussing the match. It never happened I tell you.

Younger Arsenal Fans have never even heard of the events of 1969. There older denying brethren have never even mentioned the events of that day.

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:22:16 »

A friend of mine went with his mum and dad, he was 8 or 9. I was too young to attend, in fact I wasn't born  Smiley
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 16:47:41 »

I still have the scrapbook ( remember them ) of newspaper cuttings from the quarter final to the final - will never forget the excitement - having an addictive personality it has hooked me in ever since.....

Bathtime
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:04:27 »

When I watched my copy of the game I still found myself cheering us on and getting nervous – despite knowing the outcome of the game.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, March 16, 2015, 19:04:59 »

My Dad was 14 but was at the final.

Him and his mates skived off school to go up the semi final (replay?) against Burnely. They go up on the train....and as soon as they step off the train....Adver photographers there ready to take pictures of our fans arriving.....front centre, front page of the Adver my Dad and his 3 mates who were supposed to be at school!

Bollocking the following day!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: