Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Minutes silence/applause  (Read 6306 times)
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« on: Sunday, March 8, 2015, 21:50:12 »

In light of the recent minutes applause for Dave Mackay I was wondering what people's choice would be between a minutes silence and a minutes applause. Minutes silence for me all day long. Think it is much more poignant in remembering somebodies life.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 8, 2015, 21:55:47 »

I'd prefer a minutes silence. However, I think it's more practical to have a minute's applause because then it would be much harder to be fucked up by dickheads.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 8, 2015, 22:36:22 »

There's the dickhead factor but there's also a case of what the individual themselves would want. I think the decision should really fall to the family members who'd know what was a more fitting tribute to whoever died.

I'd want an applause though personally as I'd want my life celebrated more than my death mourned. I think silences are mainly appropriate when it comes to larger scale tragedies or disasters.  Definitely a matter of opinion though!

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 00:24:53 »

I think it depends on the circumstances of the person's death. I didn't feel right applauding the girls under 16's goalkeeper recently.  It wasn't as if we were applauding a lifetime of achievements, as she was so young.

The applause definitely doesn't work when they read out the names of supporters who've died during the season at the last home game.  That should definitely be silence as they're read out.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 02:35:41 »

Silence defo!
I want you all to mourn me and take a minute to think about how you all miss me and how sad you are that I'm gone!!  Girl Giggle
Actually never realise how awkward it feeld to clap for a minute till Tuesday night?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 07:27:10 »

I think the decision should really fall to the family members who'd know what was a more fitting tribute to whoever died.

Yup, can't argue with that.

Personally I prefer a minutes silence. I've always found them to be very well respected in recent years. Even interruptions have mainly been because of fans entering the ground late not realising what is going on.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 09:29:37 »

Think entirely depends on who it is and what their connection is to the club.

The prevalence of these things seems to be blurring the waters somewhat and this is leading to the present situation, I can understand silence for someone closely related to the club or possibly a national figure but when you get figures such as MacKay who really were never any manner of figure at the club and divided much of the support I don't really see what relevance it has to us as a club and on that basis I think applause is the only option to avoid a shambles. - Where does it stop, I assume we will have applause when such divisive figures as Steve McMahon or Paul Hart pass on?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 10:29:08 »

Think entirely depends on who it is and what their connection is to the club.
Agree with that, but when Ron Topp died the stadium manager refused to allow anything!!  Ron had been a loyal servant to the club through some of their more darkest days and kept things ticking over in the background.  Double standards!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 12:02:15 »

Silence. The clapping only seemed to crop up after a fewvidiots started clapping during moments of silence causing the awkward 'should I clap or stay quiet' dilemma for other fans.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 12:07:33 »

Depends. Depends if you're celebrating this person's contribution or celebrating their life in general where an applause is appropriate, but a minute's remembrance does feel more meaningful.

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 12:39:21 »

Silence. Anyone who was at the CG for the Jimmy Davis minutes silence will never forget it.

The minutes clapping only started for George Best, but now it seems the norm.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 16:19:19 »

Silence for me also
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 16:43:02 »

A minute's silence, gets a lot of our fans warmed up for the couple of hours ahead..
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 17:27:56 »

Silence. Anyone who was at the CG for the Jimmy Davis minutes silence will never forget it.

That's it though, if its someone/thing that means something to people they will respect it, however as it has now become the norm to have these for just about any event we do have ones where people disrupt a silence as they don't see the point of it - hence why applause seems to have been adapted for such things.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 17:33:46 »

Did we have an applause for him when he snuffed it? Hes only a hero to man utd fans and was a fucking waster
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: