Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Run Flat Tyres  (Read 4065 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« on: Saturday, March 7, 2015, 20:46:51 »

What happens when you get a puncture in a run flat tyre?

I thought it just maintained it's shape and continued working due to the strength in the sidewalls?

The tyre indicator pressure thingy went off on my car earlier and wouldn't clear with a reset. When I checked the tyres the passenger side front looks weird. Best way of describing it is that the bit between the sidewall and the tread has stretched about 1.5cm - looks totally different to the other front tyre.

Tried Googling it but came up blank. Anyone got any ideas?
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 7, 2015, 21:42:19 »

Run flat tyres are only a get you home measure,usually fitted to cars that don"t have the space for even one of those them there  "space saver" spares.
I think they inject a kind of resin,to plug the hole(ooh matron) but the tyre cannot be repaired.
If you drive a car with those fitted,a new tyre should be well within your budget.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 7, 2015, 21:45:34 »

Anyone got any ideas?

Get some new tyres?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 8, 2015, 07:48:34 »

Get some new tyres?

Cheesy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 8, 2015, 16:04:46 »

Never heard of these before. Surely if it's running flat it needs replacing or am I missing something?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 8, 2015, 19:18:35 »

Run flats as far as I'm aware are good for a few miles when you get a puncture. The puncture cannot be fixed and a new tyre is required. My car had run flats as standard, but when I bought it a previous owner must have put normal tyres on. I wouldn't have run flats personally. Check with a tyre centre for professional advice!   
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 12, 2015, 21:34:07 »

It would appear I over estimated how good a job run flats did with a puncture, they don't hold out for long and you need to keep the speed really low. Good enough to get you home or to a garage at a crawl but not much more.

Not sure I have much choice but to stick with them as there's no where to put a spare.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 12, 2015, 21:37:43 »

Many new cars nowadays don't have spare wheels, and are an optional extra, so the alternative is run flats.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 12, 2015, 21:37:52 »

You could get a can of puncture foam and go with normal tyres. It's what I do.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 12, 2015, 22:40:56 »

I hate the modern preference for run flats/spacesavers instead of having a full sized spare. I for one am glad mine has a full size spare in the boot.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 11:29:48 »

in the same way that a dry sump engine isn't an engine that runs without oil; run flat tyres aren't tyres that need no air

Run flat refers to the fact the wall don't immediately collapse when you get a puncture so, for a short distance you can continue to drive before they collapse... but if you get a flat when you are parked up the walls slowly collapse and become misshapen in one place, at the bottom, or if you don't keep the correct tyre pressure over an extended period then the wall rim will collapse all round (which seems to be your case)
« Last Edit: Friday, March 13, 2015, 11:37:17 by @MacPhlea » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 13, 2015, 11:38:05 »

None of my last 3 new cars have had a spare wheel or even a space saver they have all had a puncture sealant and compressor in the boot that runs from the 12v adapter socket, I have used it, it works fine for the job.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: