Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dave Mackay  (Read 14660 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 22:48:49 »

Heard he had died!
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 01:14:40 »

Sad to hear this news as with anyone dying..

Suggest when being part of STFC It was not his finest hour.

RIP
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 07:27:33 »

Minutes silence/applause tonight?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 07:33:24 »

His Swindon tenure wasn't a good but regardless he's a part of Town's footballing history. Farewell Dave Mackay.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:14:21 »

RIP to one of the British footballing greats.

Even if he didn't achieve much with the Town we were his initial stepping stone to greater things in management, which included winning the old top flight in 74-75 only 2 years after leaving us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:23:22 »

Minutes silence/applause tonight?

I should bloody hope so.

These things are done too often these days in general but in this case it should be a no brainer
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:32:42 »

A much more positive response on here than I expected for a man that was despised by Town fans when he left. I guess time is a great healer
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:39:13 »

A much more positive response on here than I expected for a man that was despised by Town fans when he left. I guess time is a great healer

I tend to agree.  I hope he rests in peace, and respect what he achieved in the game.  But his legacy at Swindon was toxic - so a minute's silence at the County Ground would feel a little out of place to me.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:46:33 »

I'm good pals with the younger family generations of Dave's close friend and assistant manager during his time with us, Des Anderson.  Met Dave a few times through this link and he was throughly nice bloke, some cracking stories on him as well.

His time with us was 10 years before my existence on this earth and record was shit, he isn't the 1st first time manager we have had who struggled with management. Think his record in charge of Derby shows he knew what he was doing.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:52:33 »

I tend to agree.  I hope he rests in peace, and respect what he achieved in the game.  But his legacy at Swindon was toxic - so a minute's silence at the County Ground would feel a little out of place to me.

I maybe speaking out of turn but I don't think my old man has ever forgiven him for his tenure, or rather the way he went about things. I maybe wrong but think he was the manager who ousted Stan Harland?! If true, it was never likely to go well. I'm never pleased to read of anyone's passing but like Ardiles, I feel a minutes silence tonight maybe a bit out of place. If the club choose to do one then I will of course join in though.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 08:54:14 by Paolo69 » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 09:04:06 »

Meh
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 09:21:37 »

I moved to Wiltshire in 1973 a few weeks after he had left.  Les Allen had taken over and I was taken aback by the level of vitriol whenever Mackay's name was mentioned.

Someone has mentioned Stan Harland as the reason but I thought his major 'crime' in the fans eyes was selling DR and then buggering off.  The reality was however that town were a club in decline and, loyal club man as he was, Don had probably taken the belatedly pragmatic view that a move made sense.  Mackay got the blame however and the fact that the replacement for a legend was a certain Tommy Jenkins didn't help (anyone remember his mazy going nowhere sideways dribbles?) 

I'd be nervous about a minutes silence being respected as it should be for a thoroughly decent man, whatever the truth about his stint here.
kerry red

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 09:26:51 »

As a player he was just one of the many 60s throwback thugs - some ex Spurs pundit on Sky described him as the best all round player ever.

Do me a fucking favour
Walter White

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 09:31:50 »

As a player he was just one of the many 60s throwback thugs - some ex Spurs pundit on Sky described him as the best all round player ever.

Do me a fucking favour
Weird isn't it, football is a lot like arseholes, we all have one but like a man with a colostomy bag yours is irrelevant.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 3, 2015, 10:15:45 »

Weird isn't it, football is a lot like arseholes, we all have one but like a man with a colostomy bag yours is irrelevant.

And like a haemorrhoid, you keep coming back when you're unwanted.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: