Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Russia  (Read 7912 times)
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 20:57:18 »

To what extent should we be worried about Russia and the prospects of a new Cold War.

Putin is tightening his grasp on power, with Russia inceasingly turning its back on open democratic processes, opposition leaders are getting gunned down in the streets, the Russian military is being modernised and grown, and its boundaries seem to be something to be ignored.

As a teenager in the 80's the idea of the cold war didn't really seep into my reality too much - there were girls and beer to concentrate on.

Our army, navy and air-force, and many others in NATO, are a shadow of what they used to be, and ours is set to get smaller still.

Is it time to halt the reverse and start to match Russia's military expansion? It has ever been the case that you need to be holding a big stick while negotiating with the Russians.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 21:45:46 »

They're still using very, very outdated kit. Also, they'd have to get through NATO members before they could get to us.

If, by 'us', you mean the world in general.... We should always be concerned about nutjobs.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 21:53:02 »

There has always been a perceived threat from somewhere throughout the many years I've been on this planet. No point worrying about it. Enjoy life.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 22:03:39 »

I don't see it ever getting back to what it was. Russia needs the West to buy it's energy and we need them to sell it to us. Add on the rest of the deep financial links and integration and it's never going to kick off properly. It's just a game of chess, each side treading carefully to see how far they can push the other whilst trying to get what they want.

Personally I'm all in favour of us going all out to stop him and sod the consequences. We've seen what happens so many times before when you let a rogue leader get away with it, needs to be stopped now. It's the civilians that suffer the most and I've always believed we (the West) have a moral obligation to stand up for those that can't protect themselves.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 22:24:12 »

I don't see it ever getting back to what it was. Russia needs the West to buy it's energy and we need them to sell it to us. Add on the rest of the deep financial links and integration and it's never going to kick off properly. It's just a game of chess, each side treading carefully to see how far they can push the other whilst trying to get what they want.

Personally I'm all in favour of us going all out to stop him and sod the consequences. We've seen what happens so many times before when you let a rogue leader get away with it, needs to be stopped now. It's the civilians that suffer the most and I've always believed we (the West) have a moral obligation to stand up for those that can't protect themselves.

100%
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 06:59:18 »

Wake up and smell the roses....!!!

Russia, do you really think they are the problem or NATO and the fuck wit American's ?

The USSR was brought to it's knees with Reagan and Thatcher during the 80's and very early 90's.

After that NATO and the European community moved so far East toward Russia that is what caused so much unease.

What the fuck has America gotten to demand their right to control these areas so close to Russian borders.

Germany should be the ones who are leading this situation.

Do I hear Merkel demanding Russia to pull back....No

If the boot was on the other foot and Canada were siding with the East what actions would the USA do then ?

You would hear the whining and bombs half way around the World.

Just look at the shit the America and for that matter the UK has caused in the Middle East, South East Asia and in fact everywhere America has tried to control...

Russia a problem...I don't think so...

America and her puppet partners Yes.

COYMR's

Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 09:29:33 »

So says a man on the other side of the world, safe from any repercussions.

The problem with Russia is that it is essentially run by a tight cadre of the super-rich. Most of them are ex-KGB officers who, when the Soviet Union fell, knew exactly when and where to be, and had the power and connections to threaten, cajole, and bribe their way to their fortunes.

Putin is the case in point, but he's just the figurehead. The only way Russia is going to progress and become a truly modern nation whose policies aren't based on hatred and xenophobia is for Putin to die (he's not letting go of power any other way) and for the super-rich to be taxed up the wazoo. There's only one way that's going to happen, and that's going to be a huge shift in government to a more progressive, liberal one, and in Russia, that means there will be blood on the streets as the Right-wingers try to re-enact what's happened in the Ukraine.
kerry red

« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 09:32:17 »

Bomb the bastards!
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 09:53:07 »

I'd just like to add that not all Russians are like Putin. My in-laws are very kind and generous people!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 09:58:44 »

Germany should be the ones who are leading this situation.

Yeah....scrap the Bundeswehr and revive the Wehrmacht...
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 10:16:23 »

I'd just like to add that not all Russians are like Putin. My in-laws are very kind and generous people!

I've only ever met two types of russians - absolute balls to the wall nutters and unbeliveably warm friendly people.
kerry red

« Reply #11 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 12:16:02 »

But it's never about the people, is it - it's always the politicians
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 18:15:11 »

But it's never about the people, is it - it's always the politicians

And I think Vodka....
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 18:36:21 »

I would welcome the return of Cold War, of sorts.  At least you knew who the enemy was and that you'd probably be dead before you had a chance to worry about it, but at least our boys based around the world destroy them as well, united in mutual death or misery, the communist way, no less.

The new 'Cold War' however, should not be focused on the East/West axis, but on the Middle East/Rest of the World Axis. Russia, and Putin should be brought into the fold against a common enemy, the EU cease it's expansionist agenda and the UK should once again be able to conduct independent and unilateral military action where it is in its best interest.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 20:36:52 »

Yes, I live on the other side of the world...however, do you really think a serious conflict won't effect here as well.

Why do you consider the USA way of living is right ?

What have the Americans done for anyone...except cause total havoc where ever they have gone.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: