Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bradford City  (Read 33203 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 10:34:56 »

Spot on. And he's central to the way we've been able to play this season - we've played some terrific football and having ball-playing defenders like Nath, Stephens, Turnbull, even Branco is crucial to that. It costs us at times but largely it's been a delight to watch.

I have a feeling N.Thompson is carrying an injury/not fit.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 12:05:09 »

Our midfield seemed to be playing much too close to our defence for the second half.

I saw it exactly opposite! I though they collectively left too much space between them and the defence allowing Bradford to counter quickly and a bit cheaply. Several times they were suddenly outnumbering us at the back but didn't capitalise. Perhaps Stephens was supposed to be holding, but with the others pushing forward its difficult.

That said its a difficult balancing act. Everyone drops deep and you invite more pressure. And besides, even if the second half was a tricky one I still felt we might pick them off .

Whatever, it worked!
REDBUCK

« Reply #212 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 13:26:14 »

What Batch said. Byrne and Gladwin do their defensive bit as an after thought especially Gladders who does sense danger quickly enough,Crawley first goal for instance. So if a team pushes men forward or break quickly like Bradford did then there are gaps.

Just a matter of adjusting when we push forward and where on the pitch we play tippy tappy
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 13:39:19 »

In the second half Bradford pushed their wide players directly onto our wide centre backs. This pulled their midfield up making a bit more space in the middle but allowing them, especially their shadow striker, to work off Stead and later Zoko. They also pushed a fullback up individually to make the overlap on the other side to put crosses in from deep.

Also people obsess with Byrne not tracking back but it is part of our system that he doesn't. We are intentionally lop-sided and it is the destructive midfielder's job to shield in this area - usually Louis. It is part of our gamble that he stretches them throughout the game.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 16:43:10 »

Can we all agree that the first goal was lovely, though?  Nice passing, and an swift injection of pace from Luongo to create the space for the finish.  More on Saturday, please.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 20:54:39 »

Worth pointing out that Luongo set up their goal, so that's 3 goals and 2 suicidal backpasses that led to goals in two games!

Fair point...

And this is Divy 1, if he didn't make a single error he'd be in the Prem wouldn't he..

Been strong for us...

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:16:34 »

Luongo didn't really make an error though, he was trying to win the ball and it didn't quite come off. NT seemed to think he had more time, I doubt it'll happen again.

Luongo made our first look so easy. It wasn't really. The second I thought Willo had miss-controlled and it luckily went to Mas. On seeing the replay maybe he meant it after all.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:17:26 »

Fair point...

And this is Divy 1, if he didn't make a single error he'd be in the Prem wouldn't he..

Been strong for us...
Quite. This isn't aimed at Gnasher, or anyone in particular, but it does make me smile when I hear complaints about league 1 players making mistakes. Of course they make mistakes. They are league 1 players!

It's All Good..............
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:40:19 »

Cos you never see a howler from a Prem player.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:45:20 »

Cos you never see a howler from a Prem player.
I think it's fair to say that there are more individual errors in a match the lower the league/standard.

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:46:45 »

Quite. This isn't aimed at Gnasher, or anyone in particular, but it does make me smile when I hear complaints about league 1 players making mistakes. Of course they make mistakes. They are league 1 players!

I wasn't taking a pop at Mass. I was making the point that even our best players make mistakes yet they are rarely criticised (and rightly so). Now if Branco had made those mistakes I bet the reaction would have been different.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:48:27 by Gnasher » Logged

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:52:47 »

I've criticised Branco in the past.

He was absolutely superb on Tuesday. If he could consistently be 75% - 100% of that level of performance he'll be a bloody good player.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 21:57:07 »

I wasn't taking a pop at Mass. I was making the point that even our best players make mistakes yet they are rarely criticised (and rightly so). Now if Branco had made those mistakes I bet the reaction would have been different.
That's because football fans in general and Swindon fans in particular need a scapegoat. From where I sit it appears that Smith is currently the boo boys focus of disdain.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 22:28:44 »

smith has not been good recently. haven't heard anything other than mutterings of frustration. not exactly a hate campaign.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Thursday, February 26, 2015, 22:30:01 »

smith has not been good recently. haven't heard anything other than mutterings of frustration. not exactly a hate campaign.
Give it time...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: