Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket World Cup  (Read 36357 times)
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 10:05:28 »

This is going well.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 10:48:13 »

Win win from here, it's either going to be a Buttler masterclass or a comedy interview with coach Brent about failing to execute skills.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 10:53:29 »

I dont think we're very good at one day cricket.

And that, Mr Boycott, is how you do incisive punditry.

Never knowingly overstated.
kerry red

« Reply #63 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:41:29 »

Fuck me!
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:41:41 »

Well, at least Moores has to go now.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:43:28 »

Well done Bangladesh. Brilliant under pressure.

Moores is the outstanding British coach of his generation. How shit are the others?
FatSmurf

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:43:54 »

Head Hurts
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:44:33 »

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:48:37 »

what would this be the equivariant of in football. are we talking losing to San Marino bad, or Wales bad?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 11:53:30 »

what would this be the equivariant of in football. are we talking losing to San Marino bad, or Wales bad?

Bangladesh are the worst of the full members, but aren't a terrible team. The issue is that we haven't qualified for the knockout stages - the closest comparison I can make to football is the McClaren/Croatia game - the result in itself is bad, but the context makes it horrendous. Bear in mind there is no qualification, and so this is the earliest stage we could go out. The only team we've beaten are Scotland, who are not even all full time pros (that would be losing to San Marino bad)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 12:09:55 »

It's difficult to make a direct comparison. I would say the comparison would be to go back to the early 50's, when England could lose a WC match to USA and then get taken apart by Hungary 3-6 and 1-7.  Those results were a consequence of dull administrators and coaching structure, stuck in their firm belief that we were better than others, and failing to notice the game had moved on and we'd got left behind.

For me, the main indictment, was v Lankies, when Moores et al thought that 310ish was a competitive score, on a flat track against good batsmen....when it was painfully obvious in England's innings that at least 350 was required, given new fielding regs, 2 new balls etc.

Michael Clarke is talking about the possibility of someone scoring a triple ton here....we're hoping to see someone like Ian Bell get his 5th or 6th one day ton in 100 and some games.

We do have some players capable of making the necessary standard, but they've been very poorly led.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 9, 2015, 15:56:04 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 12:23:06 »

Thanks.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 12:47:04 »

Thanks.

It needs to be said, that this attitude is nothing new....we haven't won  a WC knockout game since 1992, when we should have beaten Pakistan in the final.

The 50 over stuff hasn't really been taken seriously over here, where tests matter....the domestic 50 over comp being ditched altogether a few years back, only revived last year.

It got dumped because 50 overs is a pretty dull format, but since 20-20, with a few rule changes, it has been rejuvenated, because the other sides, view it as a sort of long 20-20....in other words 350-400 + is doable, on a regular basis.
DMR

« Reply #73 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 17:52:22 »

It's difficult to make a direct comparison. I would say the comparison would be to go back to the early 50's, when England could lose a WC match to USA and then get taken apart by Hungary 3-6 and 1-7.  Those results were a consequence of dull administrators and coaching structure, stuck in their firm belief that we were better than others, and failing to notice the game had moved on and we'd got left behind.

For me, the main indictment, was v Lankies, when Moores et al thought that 310ish was a competitive score, on a flat track against good batsmen....when it was painfully obvious in England's innings that at least 350 was required, given new fielding regs, 2 new balls etc.

Michael Clarke is talking about the possibility of someone scoring a triple ton here....we're hoping to see someone like Ian Bell get his 5th or 6th one day ton in 100 and some games.

We do have some players capable of making the necessary standard, but they've been very poorly led.

Very well put Reg. Summed up my ire in a far more succinct manner than I can muster at the moment. Frankly I hope that with a bit of luck the plane bringing the cunts home does an MH370.
kerry red

« Reply #74 on: Monday, March 9, 2015, 17:59:38 »

It needs to be said, that this attitude is nothing new....we haven't won  a WC knockout game since 1992, when we should have beaten Pakistan in the final.

The 50 over stuff hasn't really been taken seriously over here, where tests matter....the domestic 50 over comp being ditched altogether a few years back, only revived last year.

It got dumped because 50 overs is a pretty dull format, but since 20-20, with a few rule changes, it has been rejuvenated, because the other sides, view it as a sort of long 20-20....in other words 350-400 + is doable, on a regular basis.

But this time they DID take it seriously. They shifted the Ashes for God's sake to make back to back series.

They arranged the 50 over tri nations tournament before the WC started to give them practice in the conditions.

Then, instead of settling on a side they change captain, a new No. 3 batsman and bring Finn back.

They are just useless - that explains it
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: