Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket World Cup  (Read 36340 times)
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 11:20:39 »

Ahhh. Fuck it. Let's all give up.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 12:00:18 »

Now talk of Pietersen coming back into the team. KP should have always been in there, but this country is a mess
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 12:08:16 »

The main positive from this is that Alistair Cook, hasn't been tainted, has had a break, so should be able to come in and pick up the pieces.
Good point, though obviously Cook should never have been anywhere near skippering the CWC side and hopefully Moores will have been kicked well beyond the long grass (though I doubt it).

On a separate note, a classic, unruffled innings by Kumar Sangakarra
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 15:22:40 »

Something, which is annoying me this WC, is that we have certain players who fail to sing the National Anthem....now I'm not sure if they've done anthems before....can't remember it, but when you're a bit shite like we are atm, it doesn't look good, makes it look like we've several who don't really care about it.....I'm not sure if it is conducive to good team spirit.
kerry red

« Reply #49 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 16:12:29 »

Morgan, Bopara, Ali  and Jordan the culprits.

Did you endure the Sri Lankan anthem? Went on and on and on to the tune of a childrens TV programme.

At least our dirge is over quick
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 16:28:59 »

Now talk of Pietersen coming back into the team. KP should have always been in there, but this country is a mess

KP has not played anything except T20 for over a year. He's seemingly not interested in playing anything other than that, and, at the moment, nor does any county want him.

It's not going to happen.

Going back to today's performance, I see Morgan is blaming the bowlers. Well it's a team game, and I thought the batting performance between the 10th and 35th overs was where we lost the game, as there seemed no urgency between the wickets, and the Sri Lankan's were quite happy. Ballance has to be replaced, and put Taylor back in at three. Personally I would bring Bopara in for his medium pacers as an option, as we do seem to miss another bowling option if things don't go well like overnight.

Anyway, we now have to concentrate on beating Banglasdesh and Afghanistan.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
REDBUCK

« Reply #51 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 16:29:25 »

Something, which is annoying me this WC, is that we have certain players who fail to sing the National Anthem....now I'm not sure if they've done anthems before....can't remember it, but when you're a bit shite like we are atm, it doesn't look good, makes it look like we've several who don't really care about it.....I'm not sure if it is conducive to good team spirit.

If they all sang it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. T Hey aren't playing the right type of cricket to win

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 17:02:20 »

Morgan, Bopara, Ali  and Jordan the culprits.

Did you endure the Sri Lankan anthem? Went on and on and on to the tune of a childrens TV programme.

At least our dirge is over quick

Yes  I kind of guessed it would, given the Lanky propensity for long names.....like dear old Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 17:11:55 »

The fact of the matter is England are shite at ODI cricket, always have been and always will be IMO - even when we were no.1 in the world for a while we were still getting beat here and there.

Why Alex Hales isn't playing I don't know as he's someone that really could get the innings off to a flyer - him and Ali at the top, Taylor 3, Root 4, Morgan 5 is the way I'd go.

The bowling was poor - but do we have anything better around?

For the record, I'd still have KP back!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 17:56:39 »

The Irish rugby team just did two different national anthems which only half of them sang and hen spanked us. This is nationalistic, irrelevant bullshit.

We're losing because we've clung onto an unsuitable captain for too long, chopped and changed constantly in ever other position, punted players up and down the order for no good reason and ultimately, just don't have enough variety in our bowling. Not because a man from Dublin who makes no bones about being Irish doesn't sing about the queen of England.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 18:03:40 »

Don't follow cricket that closely.

Are the players still picked by a team of selectors, whom I presume are old and make the decisions over a cup of tea and cucumber sandwiches? Who is actually in charge? The selectors, the coach, the captain, or Kevin Pietersen?

Either way it seems stuck in the past and needs to modernise. Cricket is one sport that the Moneyball approach should work really well in, pretty much all of the game can be put in to statistics the same as Baseball. Is anyone in cricket doing it?

England just seem a laughing stock, in one day cricket at least. Going in to the tournament saying they could win it, what a bunch of twats.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 18:15:25 »

Don't follow cricket that closely.

Are the players still picked by a team of selectors, whom I presume are old and make the decisions over a cup of tea and cucumber sandwiches? Who is actually in charge? The selectors, the coach, the captain, or Kevin Pietersen?

The squad is picked by selectors, who aren't quite as old as they used to be. Angus Fraser is one, Mick Newell another and James Whittaker is head selector. The first two are county coaches, Middlesex and Nottinghamshire specifically, Whittaker is a bit more of a jobs for the boys type.

Giles Clarke (CEO) used to sit on meetings which was controversial. Moores, the coach, usually has a significant input too.

Once the squad is on tour, final 11 selection will usually come down to the captain and the coach, although occasionally one of the selectors may travel.

Either way it seems stuck in the past and needs to modernise. Cricket is one sport that the Moneyball approach should work really well in, pretty much all of the game can be put in to statistics the same as Baseball. Is anyone in cricket doing it?

England just seem a laughing stock, in one day cricket at least. Going in to the tournament saying they could win it, what a bunch of twats.

There's a lot of people in cricket who's job is data analysis, but no really high profile cases along the Moneyball lines. England get frequently criticised for playing by numbers rather than the situation, but that's tactics rather than selection, which is generally believed to be on gut feel and recommendation more than anything too statistical. Media hype matters quite a bit too.

As for England's one day cricket, we're not dreadful in between world cups, but go to shit at them consistently. General problems is that we're very well suited to English conditions but if the pitch isn't doing much the bowlers are toothless and the batsmen don't score fast enough.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, March 1, 2015, 18:56:33 »

This is nationalistic, irrelevant bullshit.

Isn't it axiomatic that a tournament for nations is going to be nationalistic....if it's not then what is its point?
The Artist Billy Paynter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 16:11:57 »

Morgan was a poor choice of Captain, Should have given it to Root, A player whose place in the ODI side is assured and a natural progression for him to take on the role of Test match captain. Now the selectors cant drop Morgan from the playing XI, where Hales surely would have been a good option to replace the pasty Irishman...

India & NZ both gave Kohli and Williamson exposure as captains prior to the WC, lining them up to eventually replace Dhoni and McSlogga when the time comes.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, March 2, 2015, 20:46:10 »

Team for the next game?:
Hales
Ali
Bell
Root
Taylor
Bopara
Buttler
Morgan
Woakes
Jordan
Tredwell

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: