Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham Athletic v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 29956 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 10:39:13 »

Generous bunch on the Oldham forum. Worth sharing a few of the comments for those who don't have the patience to go there. Galling though it is to have that praise when we lost.

It was like playing barcelona! - just couldnt get the effin ball off em!
I also hope Swindon go up because for the middle half an hour of that game we didn't see the ball. By far the best team I've seen us play this season
Swindon are the best team to visit Boundary Park by a country mile this season. Thought we showed to much respect at times and should have pressed higher but I ain't complaining really. One thing I will say, if Brizzle & Franchise are as good as Swindon then whoever makes the play offs will have to step up. I wouldnt like to defend like tonight over 2 legs. Oh well long way to go yet.
Swindon were bloody good thought they deserved a point
If I was a Swindon fan I would be gutted to be going home with nothing from the game, they are as good a side as I have seen this season and the number 4 was utter quality.
Without putting a dampener on it, I think the second half proved we're a fair way away from them in terms of quality.
They put in a tremendous display. I don't recall us ever beating a side who played that well.
The 2nd half was torture, Swindon are a top side they played some lovely football it has to  be said aided by our inability to hang onto the ball.
Get down to the bookies tomorrow and lump it on Swindon, excellent tonight-some of our players couldnt live with them but 3 points hey-ho.
Swindon are just better than us and constantly pushed us back (that's not being negative: however much we enjoyed tonight, they did look a class above anything else we've seen this year).
As far as I'm concerned, that is the toughest it'll get at Boundary Park. No other team can pass and probe like that. We can match Bristol City and Preston over 90 minutes.
After the first 15-20 minutes, you could always see they had something about them that was very, very dangerous. Once they got rid of the cockiness in their defence and keeper, they look as good a side as I've seen at BP in a good few years.
Make no mistake Swindon have a number of players that are way above this league and at times those players showed it.
Having watched the Bradford-MK game last night I'd be amazed if Swindon didn't finish second.
What a cracking game. Came out of the blocks and scored a well made and taken first goal. Second was laughable but a bit symptomatic of the way Swindon played. A little cocky and over ambitious at times(…) Swindon are such a good team I don't think 3-0 would have killed it. We did well to force Louongo further back as the game progressed but he still found a man with every pass. Did his shot take a deflection for the goal or did keane drop a bullock? (…)
They are a terrific side who move the ball so quickly which at times rips us to bits but can also make them vulnerable. The keeper is superb when he's keeping but a liability when he thinks he's beckenbauer (or Tarkowski), right wing back for them was superb and I hope we don't get them in the play offs.
Overall a bit lucky to win but some fantastic play and some real effort.
Oh and that attendance is desperate.

At least someone is bringing a bit of perspective:
Let's climb out of their arses eh? They were shite until we stopped tearing them a new one to defend our lead.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 10:51:44 »

Froggy's post kind of sums up where we are atm....at this time of year, you don't get points for artistic merit, and Div 3 is a hard old slog....which is why traditionally it's the direct teams like a Grayson led side, or the 82ers, who stay the course.

However, I'm all for what we've been doing this season, it's going to be risky, as we give the opposition a chance, but nevertheless great fun....may well end in tears, but when you consider we've a smaller playing budget than the likes of Oxford, only just out of non league, gives it some sort of perspective.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 12:36:41 »

Based off the radio comms, I thought Cooper was  a bit mental claiming we had played the best football this season for 60 minutes. And that may have been an exaggeration but its great to see so many Oldham compliments.

Losing to Sheff U and Oldham isn't great, perhaps you need to find a way to get a few points from tough games like that, but in my opinion keep the performances good and the results will come.
No need to change anything just yet on the back of two (potentially three) winless away games.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #228 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 12:45:10 »

Based off the radio comms, I thought Cooper was  a bit mental claiming we had played the best football this season for 60 minutes. And that may have been an exaggeration but its great to see so many Oldham compliments.
I too am shocked, the commentators didn't exactly say we were even playing well let alone the best we have played in patches. This does prove it is so bloody difficult to gauge how we are playing from the commentary alone which at times we are unable to tell if it is us or the opponents that are even attacking.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 12:48:00 »

Just watched the highlights on youtube.

legendary flick by Branco and a great save to keep it at 2-1 by the Oldham keeper.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 13:22:36 »

Never knowingly overstated.
Barry Scott

« Reply #231 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 13:23:31 »

This does prove it is so bloody difficult to gauge how we are playing from the commentary alone which at times we are unable to tell if it is us or the opponents that are even attacking.

Quite. I can't listen to the commentary, it's become too frustrating. Half the time I don't know where the ball is on the pitch, which team has it or even if someone's scored. It's often as though they're commentating for people who can see what's going on.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 13:26:33 »

Better highlight wi'out t'commenters and a couple more of our chances.

Never knowingly overstated.
kerry red

« Reply #233 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 13:46:14 »

I think a few people need to look at the league table
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 15:52:00 »

Yeah we've had a couple of tricky away games where we came up a little short. It happens. I wouldn't even be over worried if we lost at scunny tbh.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 16:55:43 »

Need to start taking chances, Franchise is the only game I can think of that we've lost this season where we haven't missed a hatful of chances.
kerry red

« Reply #236 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 16:57:52 »

Should have been 3 or 4 up at half time at Franchise.

I'd be worried if we were just playing shite - but we're not.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 17:20:05 »

Based on press/fan coverage, I remain quite positive about our chances vs Scunthorpe.  Let's hope we get a reaction to the disappointment.

New ground for me on Saturday.  Feeling quite buzzy about that alone (even if it is stuck on a retail park next to a motorway junction).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 17:21:13 »

Yeah we've had a couple of tricky away games where we came up a little short. It happens. I wouldn't even be over worried if we lost at scunny tbh.

We've a few around the squad, who should know how difficult Scunny is....namely Luongo, Byrne, Wes, and Williams....with Cooper on the sidelines. All were there a couple of years ago when we go 1 up at Scunny with 7 mins to go, who are already down....win and we get Yeovil in PO's who we doubled, lose and we get Brentford who doubled us. We concede 3 in last few minutes  Angry

With just about a third of the season left, all you can say is that we're in the mix for auto, and would have to bomb Tranny style to miss the PO's
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 18:37:45 »

One of the few games I've been able to attend in the last few years....the players bottled it after some Scunthorpe fans invaded the pitch. Scunthorpe were relegated anyway. A memorable match thanks to the deranged Scunthorpe fan who kept trying to put a flag up near the Town fans and the police kept forcing him to take it down. He wanted to take on the Town fans on his own....

There was a bit of trouble after the match as well.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: