Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Barnsley official matchday thread  (Read 46206 times)
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 17:44:57 »

Great 3 points nut not a great game. At times it seemed like a practice game. Barnsley were fucking shite and as bad as I've seen this season. We should have been 3 up at half time. Williams penalty was as shit as the Smith efforts and Turnbull should have buried the header. Second half we seemed quite nervy until Gladys came up trumps.
I would have had Stephens as MOM today.
This was one of those games where we tried to walk the ball in the net and against a better team would have paid dearly for some pretty basic unforced defensive fuck ups. Byrne and Swift both need to learn when to release the fucking ball. Williams had no support. We looked off the pace a bit today although vastly superior to Barnsley in every way.
Did I mention Barnsley were total shite.
Great result and plenty room for improvement. Not sure about 1 up front.  

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 17:49:31 »

You think so. I'd have Barnsley as one of the poorest performances I've seen from an away team.

I didn't think they were too bad, just crap in defence and attack!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 17:57:31 »

Oldham will be a difficult game on Tuesday.

Damn right....this is when it starts to get really difficult.   Had to chuckle reading Barney Ronay in today's Guardian on cold and Oldham....

There is of course no cold quite like the football cold, an irresistible force that enters through the extremities and settles in the bones, and that tends to be discussed in tones of hushed reverence, a heroic cold, a cold for the ages. Boundary Park – nicknamed Ice Station Zebra by Joe Royle – has long carried the torch as England’s coldest ground, tribute to a horribly porous design and an ideal location on top of a north-facing hill. I can remember eating a half-time pie there on a freezing December night and drawing a small crowd fascinated, in a scene reminiscent of the swirling spirits at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, by the huge, supernatural jet of steam spurting out of a hole in the pie’s crust as it made contact with the night air, in the process applying a kind of freeze-dried balti glaze to my exposed features that has, to this day, never quite disappeared.

Fuck nose how mass and Kas will cope with this...
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:05:23 »

Back to winning ways and comfortable. As said, not our greatest performance but happy with the result and back in the autos.

Some points:
What a poor penalty from Williams in the first half - change up again?!
We look so much more confident with Luongo and Kasim in midfield
Swift wanted too many touches second half
The playing out from the back is becoming increasingly more dangerous
Branco had a much better game today
Oldham will be tough Tuesday
I started 'Titty' Turnbull (Barnsley keeper)

#VivaKenBarlow!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:06:26 »

Great 3 points nut not a great game. At times it seemed like a practice game. Barnsley were fucking shite and as bad as I've seen this season. We should have been 3 up at half time. Williams penalty was as shit as the Smith efforts and Turnbull should have buried the header. Second half we seemed quite nervy until Gladys came up trumps.
I would have had Stephens as MOM today.
This was one of those games where we tried to walk the ball in the net and against a better team would have paid dearly for some pretty basic unforced defensive fuck ups. Byrne and Swift both need to learn when to release the fucking ball. Williams had no support. We looked off the pace a bit today although vastly superior to Barnsley in every way.
Did I mention Barnsley were total shite.
Great result and plenty room for improvement. Not sure about 1 up front.  

Summed up game very well.

4-5-1 is dreadful, especially as it so obviously doesn't suit Williams.

Fods needs to cut out some of the short passes.  Every team pushes up knowing what's coming and he presented Barnsley with  4 gilt edged chances.  Still don't know how they missed the four on one.

We could easily have ended up drawing a game we totally dominated.

FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:12:26 »

You think so. I'd have Barnsley as one of the poorest performances I've seen from an away team.
they cant have been as bad as they were at oakwell, barnsley were embarrassingly bad at home that day. Should have been 6/7
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #186 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:21:03 »

Interesting very optimistic post from the Barnsley forum post match....

Here we are...
We win 2 games which to be honest i did not think we would. Then against a team I expected to get a result against we leave are best players on the bench. Wilson say's he thinks top 6 can be achieved. Judging by today's result bottom 6 more like possibly even bottom 3. We now play Fleetwood Town on Tuesday if we lose that then i think Wilson should walk.

We must be so far under the radar that other teams fans don't even see us in the top 3! (top 2 now)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:28:04 »

Interesting very optimistic post from the Barnsley forum post match....

We must be so far under the radar that other teams fans don't even see us in the top 3! (top 2 now)

He seems to be very much in the minority on there. Most of them expected a defeat.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:32:07 »

The absolute definition of routine home win.

We got a reasonably early goal from Branco after superb work from Swift from a short corner and then a penalty won by Swift which Willo passed up, the keeper making a fairly routine save.

Second half we could have had a hatful. It just wasn't happening for Willo who fluffed his lines when one on one. Irritatingly Wes must have thought Barnsley were so inept that he gave them two golden chances by playing suicide passes, Branco making an exceptional block tackle and Barnsley missing an open goal from the corner.

Gladwin's scorching shot was too hot for Turnbull and the game was up. We really should have won 5 or 6 today, Barnsley were appalling but we really need to stop fucking about at the back so much, too much football at times.

Man of the match was given to Turnbull which i guess you couldn't argue with. Both him and Stephens played well. Swift is a bloody good player but at times does way too much, pretty frustrating. Thought kasim and luongo started rustily, kasim stayed rusty whilst luongo improved as the game went on.

Happy enough with the 3 points but greater challenges lay ahead.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:33:46 »

I would echo the calls for the usual two up top, however I think today's set up will have a part to play on the road later this season.

With us obliged to start Swift as I pointed out shortly after his signing, I am not really sure who would miss out though - I would class Kasim, Luongo and Thompson as undroppable.

A professional job done in the end.
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:39:56 »

I would echo the calls for the usual two up top, however I think today's set up will have a part to play on the road later this season.

With us obliged to start Swift as I pointed out shortly after his signing, I am not really sure who would miss out though - I would class Kasim, Luongo and Thompson as undroppable.

Are you mates with Mourinho?

manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:43:09 »

With us obliged to start Swift as I pointed out speculated shortly after his signing, I am not really sure who would miss out though - I would class Kasim, Luongo and Thompson as undroppable.

Same was said about the Spurs lot last season, pretty sure it turned out to be bollocks.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:45:48 by manc_red » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #192 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:55:51 »

As for the now usual suicide moment passing out from the back.

Heard Cooper say on the wireless that he accepts responsibility if it goes tits up and we concede as he tells Wes not to just hoik it away.

This is fair enough for the majority of the game, but I'd suggest that when leading 1-0 with 10 minutes to go it would seem prudent to just kick the fucking thing.

Yes, chances are the opposition will get possession, but if they score from  scooping up a long punt from Wes in their own half, then fair play.

But to gift them the ball 25 yards from our goal with men over is fucking criminal
Gnasher

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 18:58:26 »

Wes occasionally makes the wrong decision and this has almost cost us in a number of games. I'm fully behind the manager in playing out from the back but there is no point when the only player available is tightly marked.

As for the now usual suicide moment passing out from the back.

Heard Cooper say on the wireless that he accepts responsibility if it goes tits up and we concede as he tells Wes not to just hoik it away.

This is fair enough for the majority of the game, but I'd suggest that when leading 1-0 with 10 minutes to go it would seem prudent to just kick the fucking thing.

Yes, chances are the opposition will get possession, but if they score from  scooping up a long punt from Wes in their own half, then fair play.

But to gift them the ball 25 yards from our goal with men over is fucking criminal
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 19:00:15 by Gnasher » Logged

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 19:01:09 »

Couldn't agree more Audrey. We were in severe danger of dropping 2 points today from a game we should have won very easily.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: