Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: worst city or town in uk  (Read 19245 times)
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #30 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 21:18:23 »

Historic Dockyards are quite good, that discounts Chatham.

Not enough to save it.  Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 03:54:37 »

I'd like to cast a vote for Chatham.  A truly awful place with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

It pains me to say that Swindon would be near the top of a lot of people's lists, too!  Sad

I was born in Chatham and my parents took the decision a couple of years later to move. Thank fuck they did because I've only been back there once since and it was possibly the most depressing place I've been to. I think Llanelli ran it close
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 07:39:44 »

Driving past Port Talbot on the way to an evening ko at Swansea a few years back, it looked like a fiery vision of hell on earth.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 09:26:33 »

port Talbot makes Gotham city look like utopia.

Most odd living in Swansea looking out to sea. look right and you see the mumbles and Gower, and all is well. look left and you see port Talbot and wonder what the point of anything is .
Red Squirrel

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 10:53:16 »

Aberdeen has to take it's place somewhere near the top, looks nice in the photo's but when you get there it really isn't.
The granite makes it a very dark and depressing place until you get to the beach which is ok until you look out to see hundreds of oil industry ships. The traffic is bloody awful too.
Luton beats Aberdeen by miles though (about 500!) absolute shithole , only plus point the cheap Easyjet flights down there. 
Sadly I have to agree that Swindon would be 'in the mix' too Crying
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 11:18:06 »

Aberdeen is a funny city, so much money but it does feel dark and unwelcoming. Was there one mid summers day, back in 2004, and it was flipping freezing, well not freezing but around 9 degrees.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 11:29:15 »

port Talbot makes Gotham city look like utopia.

Most odd living in Swansea looking out to sea. look right and you see the mumbles and Gower, and all is well. look left and you see port Talbot and wonder what the point of anything is .

From about 71, I used to go to Swansea regularly....back then the whole of Baglan Bay, especially at night, was a sight.....I likened it to Isengard.  A thing of curious beauty....

I like working industrial landscapes....working being the operative word....it's the work, which makes these places, the beauty is in the spirit and the communities built.

Much prefer Port Talbot to a shithole like Surrey, with its faux villages and cloying hypocrisy being the taste in the air, rather than SO2.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 11:58:18 »

That bottom pic looks exactly like Widnes ICI factory, coincidentally Widnes and Runcorn must be on this list of horrible towns.

When my dad lived in Runcorn when the levels of pollution were too high from Widnes (over the other side of the Mersey) and the Runcorn plant there was a warning hooter that tells everyone to stay in doors if they have respiratory problems and to shut all windows and doors.

« Last Edit: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 12:02:31 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 12:18:43 »

The problem comes for these places when the jobs go.....

Britain is littered with industrial archaeology....going back to the neolithic at places like Grimes Graves and Langdale Pike....and often produce fascinating places as a result of the loss of industry. Unfortunately in this day and age, the stock response seems to be stick up a faceless housing estate.

Avonmouth is another......

I've a walk planned out.....must get round to  doing it, consists of train to Temple Meads, then train to Severn Beach, walk back to Temple Meads through Avonmouth, and along Avon Gorge back to TM or maybe walk to Severn Beach and train back.

No ideas what a route through Avonmouth might look like, mind.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 12:23:27 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 13:30:32 »

Merthyr anybody?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 13:49:55 »

Some good mentions and some daft ones. Oxford? Yeah we hate their football club but it's hardly a shit hole. Here in Swindon isn't anything like a shit hole town either despite it not being anything to shout about.
The Million Pound Man

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 14:24:42 »

Nuneaton.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 15:03:25 »

Merthyr anybody?
check.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 15:05:13 »

Some good mentions and some daft ones. Oxford? Yeah we hate their football club but it's hardly a shit hole. Here in Swindon isn't anything like a shit hole town either despite it not being anything to shout about.

The footballing issues must be subconsciously clouding some peoples judgement, it's a pretty nice city in general. You can't knock the historical side of the place.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 15:16:31 »

Such matters are of course subjective....I think Oxford is a shithole, nothing to do with football, which I grew up with thinking as Headington, a different place.

Headington, wasn't a bad place, with the Manor providing a focus for the commuinity, and a very fine Labour Club, but sadly as is the way a lot of these ameneties have disappeared in recent years.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: