Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The thread for petrolheads  (Read 18533 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:47:14 »

Thought i'd start a thread for the petrolheads in here, I'll start off with something that caught my eye recently

VW look increasingly likely to start production of the Golf R420

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/VW-Golf-R420-2015-why-Volkswagen-is-readying-a-super-Golf-GTI/

A 400bhp+ Golf with a 2.0 Litre turbocharged engine. Crazy

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:50:37 »

How far can hot hatches go?
Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:51:22 »

I'm quite partial to 'dubs and love the idea of the that. Biggest problem I can see is the haldex 4 wheel drive battering the fun. Never knew why they didn't slip the TTRS unit in a golf to be honest.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:53:10 »

4D, you've already started a thread for petrolheads....didn't get much mileage, mind.

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55102.0
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:57:02 »

There was nothing to indicate that a thread had allready been started. My bad.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 14:58:27 »

Quite Far..Some of these are mouth watering.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/ten-of-the-most-powerful-hot-hatches-ever-2014-02-26
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:56:37 »

I know this is direct contradiction to the 'petrol' part of the title but http://mashable.com/2015/01/27/tesla-insane-button/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

I love how a company puts 'Insane' as an option. I love how effortless and silent the acceleration is. I love everything about the Tesla S and want one desperately.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 16:47:53 »

0-62mph is quoted as 3.9 seconds, and it'll top out at 174mph.

Blimey... in a Golf? I want one.

I've had a VR6 and a R32 in the past but that's something else. My VR6 was brilliant; the power output was so smooth I'm sure it ignored the petrol I put into it and ran on double cream instead. And boy was it quick.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 17:39:10 »

Blimey... in a Golf? I want one.

I've had a VR6 and a R32 in the past but that's something else. My VR6 was brilliant; the power output was so smooth I'm sure it ignored the petrol I put into it and ran on double cream instead. And boy was it quick.

Yes A mate had a Corrado VR6 and I just wanted to lick it. Gorgeous car, fantastic engine. Even more so back then.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 18:07:09 »

It depends on the size of the fuel tank, engine efficiency,  road surface quality, driving style, average speed, tyre type and condition, atmospheric conditions, vehicle set-up, quality of fuel, traffic conditions, ambient temperature, how fat driver is, whether the driver knows where he's going or follows a twat-nav,  to name but a few of the factors that will influence how far a hot hatch can go.

Very happy to help...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 18:22:34 »

EU emissions laws may have killed off the V8, but they have caused some huge advancements in fuel efficient engines which has brought with it some brilliant turbo and supercharger technology. There should be plenty more where this Golf's coming from.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 18:52:55 »

VR6's are beautiful engines. If you can get hold of one now in decent nick they'll be silly money in a few years.

I do like some of the smaller engines out there atm though - the Twinair is hilarious and that 1l Ecoboost in the new Fiesta is just a ridiculous thing. 125bhp and 150lb ft would have been inconceivable from a 1l engine even four or five years back.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 19:28:01 »

Most engine changes have been driven (no pun intended) by petrol prices and eu regs. It's led to pretty amazing stuff in the hot hatch market. It seems like every month or so a new car is announced with even more speed/bhp/handling. All from 2l blocks.

I hadn't owned a motor for nine years and back then they were just shit and slow. Ended up getting a hot ish hatch last spring and been chuffed to bits since. Needed a car and was either going for a sub £1000 run around, or splash out on something decent (that I'd have neither been able to afford or get insurance on 10years ago). Did a bit of research and looked at a golf gti (the R was a bit too much). Really liked it and no doubt the build quality was A+... but I passed three more later that day. Wanted something that was a bit more unique, but still good looking and fast (which probably means they are shit)

Ended up with a 3yr 30000 mile, 1.75t 235bhp.  Only seen four on the road in nine months. Probably enough info for 4D to hazard a guess. Anyhow, the point is that whilst carless I took little notice and assumed hot hatches were pushing 200bhp, not 350/400!  I don't understand enough about engines to know when it will stop, but there are no signs at the moment!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 19:33:21 »

Ford really made a break through with their Ecoboost engine. I got an St with the 2l Eco boost. It's a great drive.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 19:39:16 »

Kawasaki N(M)inja H2R - 300bhp and 156 Peter Torks from 998cc -  want one and it's very loud.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: