Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hosting  (Read 3236 times)
Flashheart

« on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 04:21:28 »

I expect the answer to this is actually quite simple, at least i hope it is......

I need to shift the domain from the expired hosting account to the non-expired hosting account. Can I find the button to do this? Can I fuck!

Anybody?
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 04:46:00 »

I think I've found it actually. Rather a lot of faffing about though.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:00:37 »

Nope, still having problems.

So I have to back up the files first. Fair enough. I follow instructions to come to this screen which all seems straight forward.

I select download , and then OK, but nothing happens. I can't find the file anywhere on my PC.
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:17:57 »

I'm probably making this a lot harder than it should be.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:28:16 »

So you want to move the entire website, or just the domain name?
Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:28:44 »

I've been thinking about this all wrong. Surely I can just cancel the expired hosting account and then upload the wordpress site onto the new one?
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:29:21 »

So you want to move the entire website, or just the domain name?

The whole website
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:34:04 »

I've always moved files using FTP. Download the old site, store somewhere locally then upload to the new site.

With Wordpress there are plugins available but it's still easier to do it yourself IMO. You'll need to make a backup of the MySQL database too.

Are you moving the domain name too, or are Go Daddy remaining as the registrar?
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:38:25 »

I've always moved files using FTP. Download the old site, store somewhere locally then upload to the new site.

I've tried doing that but it just doesn't seem to work. I go through the process but can't find the files anywhere on my PC.

I'm sticking with godaddy and the same domain. It was a bit of a balls up in that instead of extending my existing hosting account I managed to buy a new one instead. Now I need to shift everything onto the new hosting account as the old one will expire any day now.
Barry Scott

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 07:39:25 »

Is the hosting and domain with GD? I'd  ask support to do it. Do you have SSH access?

GD doesn't use cPanel does it? Normally when you request a download in cPanel, the download has to be compiled and downloaded elsewhere. I have no reason to think this wouldn't be the case with GD as the files are unlikely to be downloadable off the bat.

Is there not another section somewhere in your cPane that lists backups ready for download?

Tell you what, I'm sure resolving this over this forum would take longer than doing it. I'd be happy to do this for you, it'd imagine it's a pretty quick job, pm me if you want.
Flashheart

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 07:40:46 »

Cheers Barry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: