Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Religious stuff  (Read 16354 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:20:02 »

The great Marc Maron has a good bit which I can relate to...

https://vid.me/3QC

There are plenty of atheist soup kitchens and non-secular charities in this country.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:26:18 »

The atheists I've encountered over the years tend to be far more annoyingly vocal about their beliefs than any religious person I've ever met.

In my experience, of course.

It's funny how this debate re-emerges about once every 18 months on here - probably more regularly than any other non-footy, one-off discussions.  It doesn't seem to be related specifically to particular outrages carried out supposedly in the name of religion, and it tends to be the 'non-religious' members who start it off.

Most people participating will know that I have something of a background within a faith community.  Increasingly, I am isolated from that community, not because I don't think faith has relevance, but because my own experience tells me that 'the church' is not fit for purpose - at least not that bit with which I have traditionally been associated.  That may change, and I agree that the present Pope is doing much more than a PR exercise (much as that was needed!).

The debate about God or 'not-God' will continue for ever.  The interesting thing is that in the end, it all comes down to Belief, whether atheist, agnostic or 'believer'.  There is nothing so far coming from the scientific context which goes anywhere near proving or disproving anything (or even producing 'evidence').  There are probably as many serious professional scientists who hold religious faith as there are atheists.  And the Dawkins of this world do more damage than good to the atheist case by focussing on the extremes of religious belief rather than engaging with the centreground (where doubt and mystery are perfectly acceptable in both religion and in science).

And whoever said at the beginning of this current discussion that the current problems (and the history) is about the human lust for power rather than any particular sets of beliefs is (in my experience!) on the right road.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:43:33 »

There are plenty of atheist soup kitchens and non-secular charities in this country.

It's a good bit though Wink
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 10:51:58 »

If you have faith in a Deity, that's your right and as long as that faith doesn't manifest into something that is harmful to others, why should anyone else have a problem with it?
People who twist religious doctrines for their own ends are the problem and a lot of that can be viewed as stemming from socio-economic issues, not religion. Look at The Middle East, how many of that regions problems are as a result of Western foreign policy? Look at Northern Ireland in the 70's & 80's. Religion is merely a hook to use.
It's people, not religion. And it will happen, whether it's done in the name of religion, or Marxism, or nationalism, when people feel they are being treated unfairly.
Everyone should be free to believe what they want; whatever floats your boat, but everyone should also respect others beliefs.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 11:34:20 by herthab » Logged

It's All Good..............
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 12:45:04 »

but everyone should also respect others beliefs.

No. I don't have to respect beliefs that I find ridiculous.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 12:47:23 »

No. I don't have to respect beliefs that I find ridiculous.
What I meant was respect the right of others to believe what they want.

It's All Good..............
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 12:53:11 »

Fair enough.
Flashheart

« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 13:36:34 »

I started reading the bible recently. It's fucking nuts.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 13:43:03 »

I started reading the bible recently. It's fucking nuts.

That happened to me when I read the Daily Mail.
Flashheart

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, January 24, 2015, 08:02:35 »

And on a lighter note:....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: