Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Religious stuff  (Read 16330 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 22:58:57 »

The whole live and let live thing is a tricky one for me because I see religion as a primarily destructive force. But that doesn't mean I don't see it as a potential for good in some people, nor does it mean I think all religious people are bad/and or idiots.

It's still deeply routed in fallacy, though, and the whole "well it helps some people" seems stooped in danger. Is it a good idea to believe in anything, regardless of the truth, if it makes you happy? Fundamentally, I think, no. And the fact that it causes so much suffering too seals the deal.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 23:11:25 »

I just can't tolerate it. All religion that is.

I cannot believe that we pander and even contemplate entering into any meaningful debate about Islam or any other religion for that matter.

It's such utter crud, we should be bollocking people for actually taking religion so seriously. There is no excuse for it in this day and age.

I don't want to offend anyone but if i do, i hope you take a good look at yourself and what you actually believe in. Open your eyes and actually try and take on board logic and reason. If not, believe in what you want but keep it out of the public domain and out of the law.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 23:17:41 »

The atheists I've encountered over the years tend to be far more annoyingly vocal about their beliefs than any religious person I've ever met.

In my experience, of course.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 23:19:53 »

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 23:26:26 »

The great Marc Maron has a good bit which I can relate to...

https://vid.me/3QC
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 00:56:03 »

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 01:58:09 »

I'm actually taking the time to learn Arabic, with the aim of learning the Quran off by heart, then becoming a famous respectable Muslim Cleric, just so I can issue a big fuck off Fatwa on the lot of you.
Flashheart

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 03:37:42 »

Slightly different slant on the debate I know, but I think the current Pope is a bit of a breath of fresh air.

I think he's just on a PR mission.
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 05:05:40 »

Important part of the brain. Prefrontal Cortex. ( Its basically the bit behind your forehead / cranium )

"The most typical psychological term for functions carried out by the prefrontal cortex area is executive function. Executive function relates to abilities to differentiate among conflicting thoughts, determine good and bad, better and best, same and different, future consequences of current activities, working toward a defined goal, prediction of outcomes, expectation based on actions, and social “control” (the ability to suppress urges that, if not suppressed, could lead to socially-unacceptable outcomes). "

So if you pray 5 times a day and each prayer time you recite 27 supplications ( Prayers / offerings ) that's 135 smacks on the bit of the brain described above, what is the outcome likely to be ?

Just an observation.

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
kerry red

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 06:32:32 »

Cliff Richard?
OrangeTransits

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:07:10 »

Cliff Richard?

He's got a slightly different excuse, being buggered at an early age by Lord Boothby and Ronny and Reggy Kray probably didn't help. Although I have no idea how many times poor little Cliffs head was battered against something whilst those 3 pervs took it in turns hanging out the back of him ............

You'll never take the Townend !!!!!!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 08:54:12 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30910342

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:00:13 »

I do think that there is a certain irony that religion has become the bogeyman to many liberal left leaning people - the same who take great pleasure in berating UKIP voters for blaming immigrants 'needing someone to blame for the problems in your lives' - yet religion holds the same position for them!

If religion disappeared tomorrow something would come along and fill the void to give people who are so inclined comfort...

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:16:52 »

I've not heard of or seen atheist's handing out leaflets, knocking on doors, standing on corners shouting, trying to convert people, blowing themselves up, etc.

The way some of you are going on makes them sound like nutters, when all they really do is dismiss something they don't agree with. Some have stronger opinions than others on God's and religions but doesn't go that far with it do they?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2015, 09:19:30 »

What's causing most divisions in society? 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: