Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dehumidifiers..  (Read 12582 times)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 17:38:07 »

I actually find this stuff helpful. I've just decorated my conservatory, putting in a gas fire and was getting condensation on one wall. Turns out in my eagerness to stop heat loss and spiders I'd affected the air flow - a few little vents solved it immediately.

We have special vented tiles on our roof which seem to stop any condensation in the loft - just a thought for those suffering
« Last Edit: Friday, January 2, 2015, 17:59:50 by Bewster » Logged
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 2, 2015, 19:28:44 »

I'm glad this thread has popped up!

Me and my girlfriend have recently purchased a house in Stratton, Cirencester. The heating consists of 3 storage heaters, two down and one up on the landing. None in either bedroom.

In the main bedroom, we've been getting really bad condensation. It started out in the top corner of the wall and the paint ran slightly. Being new to all of this, we didn't think much of it until a few days later after sleeping in the room with the door closed and window shut, the condensation was around 3 of the walls (outside walls) + ceiling and gradually getting worse. So far it's ran down the wall around 1 metre and has left water stains in the paint.

I went up the loft and couldn't find any damp from rain, which was my first thought. I researched on the internet and bought a dehumidifier which clears it all up.

The only problem I have now, how can I prevent this from keep happening?

Has anyone experienced this before?

We're getting central heating installed in March/April when we have the money as the storage heaters are expensive and to put it blunt - SHIT!

If anyone could shed any light, it would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Funnily enough, we have Storage Heaters too!!...

We mentioned it to my other halfs parents and they turned up today with a dehumidifier! It was on 6 hours earlier and was 1/4 full! Mental..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Gethimout

« Reply #32 on: Monday, January 5, 2015, 09:52:22 »

Funnily enough, we have Storage Heaters too!!...

We mentioned it to my other halfs parents and they turned up today with a dehumidifier! It was on 6 hours earlier and was 1/4 full! Mental..

Haha... I can't wait to get gas central heating fitted. Hopefully going to have it all sorted in the next few months and next winter should be better in terms of condensation.

Storage look hideous.

We got a £100 homebase dehumidifier and it's good. Not sure what any other brands are like? There are some really expensive units!!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, January 8, 2015, 16:27:07 »

Is the water running down the boiler flue or the bathroom extractor flue? If the latter, I'd check the seal on the flue above the bathroom ceiling. Your issue might be vapour coming up from the bathroom rather than down from the roof. That caused condensation in my loft in my old place.

Sorry just seen this, no it is coming in from the roof run down the flu (I've seen it) into the attic and drops of at the elbow (into a crate I now have there)

Just had a company round to give me a quote to repair, fee llike they have taken the piss out of me, guy turns up with no ladders (they are supposed to be a roofing company) asks to borrow mine to look in the attic, quickly looks then says ok I'll get a quote to repair and as the felt has dropped a bit I'll quote to either do a quick fix or a full repair.

Got a quote today for £400+ and says they cannot touch the felt as neighbours roof is directly above - I'm not asking for tiles to be removed just proped back up so when we move in a few years they dont say the roof needs removing to re-felted etc
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, January 8, 2015, 21:59:20 »

Just bought one of these for my new gaff. It's not damp, but drying clothes indoors with a dehumidifier in the room takes less than half the time and is significantly cheaper than a tumbledrier.
(This  place is getting more like mumsnet every day).

It's All Good..............
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, January 8, 2015, 22:10:38 »

Just need abbreviations like OH, DH etc.
Dehumidifiers are worth the money if you have a damp problem. Make the room feel cosier too.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 19:22:24 »

Had a meal in banquet Buffett this afternoon. Now there is a place in need of a dehumidifier and ventilation. Condensation and mould galore
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 19:30:18 »

Back to this subject...

We've had ours around 3 weeks and we've only just stopped emptying 2 litres of water per day out of it!!

Some silly cunt had covered up the soffits so the moisture had nowhere to go!...

And no, it wasn't me.

Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 21:10:26 »

Back to this subject...

We've had ours around 3 weeks and we've only just stopped emptying 2 litres of water per day out of it!!

Some silly cunt had covered up the soffits so the moisture had nowhere to go!...

And no, it wasn't me.

We've had ours 3 weeks, and we're emptying 4 litres a day! I'm beginning to wonder if we're living under a stream, as we're near to Queens Park. It's really quite disconcerting.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 21:13:49 »

We've had ours 3 weeks, and we're emptying 4 litres a day! I'm beginning to wonder if we're living under a stream, as we're near to Queens Park. It's really quite disconcerting.

Fuck me, I thought we had it bad!

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 22:28:32 »

Had a meal in banquet Buffett this afternoon. Now there is a place in need of a dehumidifier and ventilation. Condensation and mould galore

Food any good?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, January 31, 2015, 23:17:03 »

It's fairly normal to get loads of water for the first few weeks. When the house dries out a bit it should settle down. I only use it in the winter and change or clean the filter every year.

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 13:51:57 »

Food any good?
for the money it's good. Cheap and cheerful. They are having some serious issues with their walls-windows and ceilings though and it isn't nice to see when you're eating.
Barry Scott

« Reply #43 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 21:13:52 »

Inspired by this thread and my minor, but annoying, damp problem, I've just stumped up for a dehumidifier. Thanks fuckers.  Harsh Funny
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, February 1, 2015, 21:29:32 »

Inspired by this thread and my minor, but annoying, damp problem, I've just stumped up for a dehumidifier. Thanks fuckers.  Harsh Funny

New boxers would have just solved that minor damp problem.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: