Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dehumidifiers..  (Read 12741 times)
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:28:51 »

OK, so, my place is starting to develop a slight damp problem. It's definitely down to condensation. Would anyone know if using a dehumidifier would help with this? I could clear that damp marks from the corners of the walls affected, but I don't know if it would just come back... I've heard good things about dehumidifiers...

Roaming the land while you sleep..

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:35:43 »

Yeah they draw moisture out of the air well. I have a delonghi one but it doesn't get used a lot nowadays.
Tackling the cause is advisable as good ventilation, steady temperature etc will help more.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:37:00 »

Yeah they draw moisture out of the air well. I have a delonghi one but it doesn't get used a lot nowadays.
Tackling the cause is advisable as good ventilation, steady temperature etc will help more.

Great, thanks.

AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:39:37 »

In a word, yes, it will help immensely. It will also make your house easier to heat (as less water in the air means it takes less energy to heat the air). It's also brilliant for drying clothes indoors - just stick the clothes in a room with the dehumidifier on and close the door.

A very useful appliance to have and most are portable enough that you can move them around the house as required. The one we have is
http://www.johnlewis.com/meaco-10l-dehumidifier/p231741493

Would recommend it without hesitation.
Norfolkred

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:43:11 »

Well there's a coincidence! I had just finished looking online for a dehumifier, clicked to TEF and there's a thread on dehumidifiers! I need to get one to dry out after a flood which we had from a split mains water pipe underfloor. Insurance company have said I can buy one through insurance for £100, but it looks like you need to spend a bit more than that for a decent one
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:44:00 »

In a word, yes, it will help immensely. It will also make your house easier to heat (as less water in the air means it takes less energy to heat the air). It's also brilliant for drying clothes indoors - just stick the clothes in a room with the dehumidifier on and close the door.

A very useful appliance to have and most are portable enough that you can move them around the house as required. The one we have is

Wow, they seem to have several uses... I think that's my decision made then! Thanks for your input!

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:44:13 »

Well there's a coincidence! I had just finished looking online for a dehumifier, clicked to TEF and there's a thread on dehumidifiers! I need to get one to dry out after a flood which we had from a split mains water pipe underfloor. Insurance company have said I can buy one through insurance for £100, but it looks like you need to spend a bit more than that for a decent one

Great minds..

Norfolkred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 16:44:34 »

Looks like that is the one I need then
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 17:07:01 »

Open a window

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 17:29:50 »

Open a window

Is your name Karl Pilkington?
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 20:06:46 »

Who'd have thought so many TEF folk would have moisture related problems. Quite reassuring as I was also going to get one in the sales. Anyone seen any bargains?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 21:29:57 »

Thinking about getting one of these myself for my place. Keep getting condensation on the windows. They are quite expensive for what they are though. Are they really worth the price tag?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 21:35:45 »

This is the one I have http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/0523068.htm
I'd also strongly advise against drying washing in a house with damp issues. You're looking to take moisture away, not add more and then let the dehumidifier do its job which would leave you at square one.
 Opening Windows when cooking- bathing etc helps but don't leave open too long after as you just create more cold surfaces for warm air to hit and create more water.

Constant temperature is key and let the dehumidifier regulate the air. Have it on full whack for a few days then turn it down and leave it around half way until March.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 21:40:51 »

For window sills get some kontrol crystal dehumidifiers. Ebay and Amazon do them.
Just empty the water and top up the crystals every few weeks.
Wipe your Windows every morning too
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 22:16:56 »

Who knew arriba was the oracle when it comes to moisture issues?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: