Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Port Vale: Match Thread  (Read 32711 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 09:14:29 »

Didn't they say the same thing about Austin as well. Great eye for a player there it seems.

It shows the utterly bonkers attitude in youth football that you can coach skill but you can't coach strength and athleticism.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 10:22:48 »

Great performance from Luongo in his last performance in a town shirt. That run he made in the second half was incredible.

Shit Tans has spoken, goodbye Mass...
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 10:41:03 »

Where do you sit?  I ask because in the middle of the DRS where I sit sometimes people can be frustrated when we have a chance to break quickly with men over and he seems to dally on the ball, but I've never heard people getting on his back.

In fact it was heartening yesterday that the crowd seemed to be trying to encourage the team even when a potentially good move broke down ; i.e. Toffollo made a couple of good runs in the first half, got picked out with great through balls, chose the wrong option or mis-controlled but got applauded back to the halfway line for trying to make something happen even if it didn't quite work.

I would love it if we bought Toffolo. He's about 10 times better than Bell.

People talking about Gladwin not releasing early enough but our best chance in the second half was from Byrne. All he had to do was release the ball quickly and (I have forgotten who it was) we would have had a one on one. Instead he tried to dribble and the chance was lost. Although Byrne was back to somewhere near his best yesterday so can't be overly critical.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 11:38:17 »

Shit Tans has spoken, goodbye Mass...

Cheesy
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:21:15 »

not impressed with TE silence after DRS asked them for a song, followed up by we'll sing when we want. Stick sloop John B away and get the Red and White Army going

this!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:36:00 »

Didn't they say the same thing about Austin as well. Great eye for a player there it seems.
Not just Reading either - Southampton, who all the pundits fawn over as having some kind of golden recipe for youth development, rejected Tyrone Mings because he wasn't big enough. Now being linked with multi-million pound move to Arsenal.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/18/tyrone-mings-ipswich
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:37:56 »

VIDEO: @MassLuongo's skill takes him past three defenders #STFC http://t.co/yC7kGyO26o

Full highlights here

« Last Edit: Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:44:31 by @mwooly63 » Logged
Islington Red

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:47:28 »

Disappointed that we are set to lose Jake Reeves, with Mass and Kasim away he seems to be an ideal replacement and what we are now on the look out for. Spoke to a cabby/Brentford season ticket holder recently who said they were sad to see him go and that he could of played a part in the Championship for them. Surprised that Cooper didn't bring him on yesterday, he only made one change, as the players were obviously tired after two games in such a short space of time and a perfect opportunity to show that he will get game time in Jan.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 12:51:32 »

Surprised that Cooper didn't bring him on yesterday, he only made one change, as the players were obviously tired after two games in such a short space of time and a perfect opportunity to show that he will get game time in Jan.
Power was interviewed before the game, saying Reeves was going back, so it would have been too late, the player's made his mind up and wants to go.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 13:31:05 »

Power was interviewed before the game, saying Reeves was going back, so it would have been too late, the player's made his mind up and wants to go.
And to be fair, when Kasim and Luongo were unavailable for the Bristol City game, Reeves was an unused sub, which suggests that Cooper doesn't see him as an ideal replacement. I agree that it's a shame he's going though.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 15:59:01 »

Only my second game of the season yesterday. The first was Rochdale, so this was a marked improvement in terms of result and performance.

I did worry when N Thompson was ruled out through injury but in hindsight my concerns were misplaced. Whilst Branco didn't have the best of games, Stephens was sublime and between them the back 3 seemed to have everything under control for the vast majority of the game. It was also good to see the development of new tactics to create space - the balls from Wes to the centre circle and the clever short goal kicks being prime examples.

Luongo was truly immense. He won tackles, he made space, he turned attack into defence (edit: defence into attack!), and he pulled that witchcraft out in the dying minutes to leave three Vale players in his wake. Thompson also impressed with his movement and direct play. Gladwin wasn't on a par with them, occasionally making the wrong pass or not getting the ball away quickly enough. Far from a poor performance though.

Up front Williams was a different player to the one I'd got used to seeing. He used his pace well, ran at defenders, and carved out two or three opportunities including a strong header for his goal. Obika worked hard with little reward.

It was also a great surprise to see over 9000 in the home end. I was in the Town End, and whilst it was far from back to its best, it was a lot livelier and noisier than on my last few visits. That said, it wasn't the kind of game conducive to a great atmosphere, with the action on the pitch being more like a game of chess than an action packed spectacle, and as for the turn out from Vale, well the less said the better.

Very much looking forward to Fleetwood and Coventry having finally got a taste of the side that some of you lot get to see on a regular basis!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 00:25:32 by reeves4england » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 16:23:36 »

I watched the FL72 show at lunchtime and they showed the goal and the disallowed goal. Obika didn't look offside to me, although he didn't complain too much.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 17:43:06 »

he turned attack into defence

Sell him Smiley
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 00:25:45 »

Sell him Smiley