Pages: 1 ... 737 738 739 [740] 741 742 743 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996395 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11085 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 16:08:17 »

Corporation tax to 25%. Labour wanted to go to 26% in 2019. Critic's said they'd cripple the country. Go figure.

'Every time corporation tax has been cut in this country it has produced more revenue'

Boris Johnson 2019.

I wonder what will happen with it, been suggested that Labour might vote against it and if so many Tories might join them, Johnson has suggested that it is a confidence issue with the whip being removed from any dissenters.

My cynical view is this budget has less to do with economic recovery and more to do with the promotion of Brand Rishi!

Bizarre that he included a direct lie about Freeports only being permissible as a result of Brexit (there are several Freeports in the EU, we could have had them at any time we wanted). I thought there was some special legal status about Chancellors directly lying (as opposed to just bullshitting) in the Budget?

There were several in the UK until 2012. Liverpool, Southampton, Port of Tilbury, Port of Sheerness and Prestwick Airport, before David Cameron's Conservative government allowed legislation allowing free ports to expire.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 16:21:22 by horlock07 » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11086 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 10:32:22 »

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment/2021/03/03/the-real-motive-behind-todays-budget/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11087 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 10:49:39 »

So, aside from destroying the economy, how many lives are the govt willing to sacrifice to their nationalist post-Brexit posturing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56276653
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #11088 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:12:21 »

So, aside from destroying the economy, how many lives are the govt willing to sacrifice to their nationalist post-Brexit posturing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56276653

How things have changed. The mural artists in Irish border towns used to be much more talented.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #11089 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:14:21 »

How things have changed. The mural artists in Irish border towns used to be much more talented.

And more literate

I come from a land down-under
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11090 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:28:40 »

When I lived in Scotland we went for a weekend in Northern Ireland where we went to some Motorbike race in Portrush. We stayed in Newtownards which has some 'interesting' art. Myself and another English guy ended up drinking too much smirnoff ice (it was on tap on the pubs over there) and got lost trying to find our way back to the house. At 2am in the pitch black we turned a corner and I nearly had a heart attack as facing us was a house sized mural with graves, balaclava covered faces, guns etc. I was fairly naieve in those days and had had too much booze to be really concerned but I think under sober circumstances would probably have been a bit more worried!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #11091 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:36:20 »

And more literate

I think the link there is related to driving out most of the poets too.

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #11092 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:42:07 »

We stayed in Newtownards which has some 'interesting' art. Myself and another English guy ended up drinking too much smirnoff ice (it was on tap on the pubs over there) and got lost trying to find our way back to the house...

...a house sized mural with graves, balaclava covered faces, guns etc. I was fairly naive in those days and had had too much booze to be really concerned but I think under sober circumstances would probably have been a bit more worried!

Funny you mention Newtownards (Newton-ards as it's said), it's not too far from where some of my family live. Haven't been to NI for several years. But yes, the mural work was always impressive, even if used for propaganda purposes.

I actually quite like Bangor around those parts and Strangford Lough etc.

Smirnoff Ice on tap though Crying haha!

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11093 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:45:53 »

When I lived in Scotland we went for a weekend in Northern Ireland where we went to some Motorbike race in Portrush. We stayed in Newtownards which has some 'interesting' art. Myself and another English guy ended up drinking too much smirnoff ice (it was on tap on the pubs over there) and got lost trying to find our way back to the house. At 2am in the pitch black we turned a corner and I nearly had a heart attack as facing us was a house sized mural with graves, balaclava covered faces, guns etc. I was fairly naieve in those days and had had too much booze to be really concerned but I think under sober circumstances would probably have been a bit more worried!

A fair few years back I went to a conference in Derry/Londonderry which I have to say was fine albeit a bit of an eye opener, I remember standing on the city walls and looking out over the Bogside with all the murals and history associated with that area.

Then again I also remember going into a pub in Edinburgh, ordering a pint and sitting down facing my mate and noticing on the wall behind him a mural saying something like 'we will never surrender to the English scum', we drank up fairly quickly and left!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #11094 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 15:56:53 »

A fair few years back I went to a conference in Derry/Londonderry which I have to say was fine albeit a bit of an eye opener, I remember standing on the city walls and looking out over the Bogside with all the murals and history associated with that area.

Then again I also remember going into a pub in Edinburgh, ordering a pint and sitting down facing my mate and noticing on the wall behind him a mural saying something like 'we will never surrender to the English scum', we drank up fairly quickly and left!

Its interesting those types of attitudes that exist. I had to endure a little bit of racism as an Englisman in Scotland but that was mainly angry men in pubs during Football matches rather than anything more sinister.

My wife's from County Mayo and they have some quite narrow minded attitudes towards the English as well. We went to some bar and 2 old men were wearing jackets celebrating 100 years of the IRA and I figured I would be best to avoid them. Unfortunately later that night we ended up having a 'chat' in the jacks, and he heard my accent and proceeded to introduce me as a 'tan' to his mate. It was all jovial enough but you just never know when or where these things can turn. We ended up shaking hands and something wasn't right. He only had 2 fingers as apparently he had shot the rest of them off when trying to load a gun back in his paramilitary days. Hence his nickname 'fingers'.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11095 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 16:23:24 »

Its interesting those types of attitudes that exist. I had to endure a little bit of racism as an Englisman in Scotland but that was mainly angry men in pubs during Football matches rather than anything more sinister.

Funny thing is that on the same trip we ended up watching the Calcutta Cup in a pub with loads of scots and England got a very fortuitous and late win (it was 1994 I reckon), anyway by then a shit load of alcohol had been taken and everyone was dancing and up on the furniture etc. We started thinking that a quick exit would be an idea but then a bouncer came over to me and rather aggressively asked me to get off the chairs, suddenly this massive hairly arsed Scottish guy barged between us and told the bouncer that if he was going to kick his new English mates out he would have to kick him out as well, totally defused the situation - if was just odd.

As for Smirnoff Ice on tap, a Scottish mate of mine used to drink WKD by the pint!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #11096 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 16:34:39 »

a Scottish mate of mine used to drink WKD by the pint!

Blue WKD and Port used to be our drink of choice when we went Corporate to watch Hearts. It's known as a cheeky vimto and is actually quite pleasant (or it was when I was in my twenties!)

ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #11097 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 17:11:41 »

Ahem, can we keep it to transfer rumours please everyone, thank you.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #11098 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 17:13:24 »

Ahem, can we keep it to transfer rumours please everyone, thank you.

No, go fuck yourself FH!  Smug Fuck Off Wink

ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #11099 on: Thursday, March 4, 2021, 17:15:38 »

No, go fuck yourself FH!  Smug Fuck Off Wink

*splits thread*

*rants*

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 739 [740] 741 742 743 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: