Pages: 1 ... 696 697 698 [699] 700 701 702 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2007135 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10470 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 08:16:25 »

So last night, the UK parliament voted to allow the government to break international law, a sorry day for the international reputation of our country. Swindon MP Robert Buckland, a QC and the Lord Chancellor (one of the highest legal offices in the country) not only broke his oath to uphold the law by voting for his but also voted against an amendment that would have required ministers to uphold the law. Apparently not something he is in favour of. The man is a disgrace to his office, his profession, his party and our town.

Not sure how any of the QC MP's who voted for this can remain as members of the bar, its quite a jump to basically give up your livelihood post parliament just for a ministerial car or the carrot of a peerage.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10471 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 08:37:07 »

Good post.  And you can add Braverman.

I'd only point out that, imo, Buckland's conduct is characteristic of rather than a disgrace to Dominic's Conservatives
The current incarnation you are absolutely correct about. I was talking more about the traditions of the party. TBH I don't regard the current incarnation as Conservatives any more, they should rename themselves the English National Populist Party which is what they are. They're not Tories
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #10472 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 09:05:10 »

The current incarnation you are absolutely correct about. I was talking more about the traditions of the party. TBH I don't regard the current incarnation as Conservatives any more, they should rename themselves the English National Populist Party which is what they are. They're not Tories

At the risk of going a bit Monty Python with this, they could try Populist National Front of England.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10473 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 09:20:56 »

At the risk of going a bit Monty Python with this, they could try Populist National Front of England.
Splitters!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10474 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 09:23:22 »

My industry is apparently not viable.  An awful lot of people looking at 20% grant up to £1800 thats supposed to sustain us for 3 months and crying.  What has been civil reasoned arguing for support may well become pretty uncivil soon.

Its getting some localised reporting, whether this will actually make any difference remains to be seen.

First story on https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000n36q/midlands-today-evening-news-29092020?fbclid=IwAR1pcaa-izB7Vq18bSBpdxZZFCFjnmhpa_4fbT3IhDHa-XeN4N59jTQ_vlU

Pretty grim viewing
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 09:27:12 by horlock07 » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #10475 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 09:24:26 »

That is so, well, er, British.

Doing a Silly (Sleep) Walk towards dictatorship.  Wink
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10476 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 11:20:27 »

The man is a disgrace to his office, his profession, his party and our town.

Obviously he's not concerned about the prospect of being disbarred and not being able to find work in the legal profession in the future. I'm sure he'll end up in some cushy non-exec role like most ex-MPs generally do. Wouldn't be surprised if it's already lined up.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10477 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 11:51:41 »

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10478 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 12:54:48 »

Obviously he's not concerned about the prospect of being disbarred and not being able to find work in the legal profession in the future. I'm sure he'll end up in some cushy non-exec role like most ex-MPs generally do. Wouldn't be surprised if it's already lined up.
I'm sure you're right. In fact, I'm sure he's been promised that as the price of his support/not resigning. I did though have Buckland down as someone who cared about his reputation and perhaps had a sense of shame, wrongly it would seem.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10479 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 20:04:06 »

Just in case anyone was unsure...

* Adobe_Post_20200930_2112300.8909959460572244.png (209.47 KB, 940x470 - viewed 146 times.)

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10480 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:45:54 »

Is there anyone left in the Home Office who *isn't* completely fucking insane?

https://www.ft.com/content/ac028f1c-cf83-444c-b61f-00e99d404d6a
Flashheart

« Reply #10481 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 11:48:42 »

And the EU will pay for it?

It's another Trumpism - with a twist
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10482 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 12:39:08 »

I think there is a lot more to a lot of this than meets the eye.

I listened to a podcast the other week and they pointed out that with the simultaneous shit shows of Covid (with a lot of Johnon's core support very pissed off about restrictions) and Brexit (even ardent Brexiteers have gone very quiet as the true shiteness of what is coming is now nigh impossible to deny)  playing out the only area where the radicalised faithful can be energised is to sustain the culture war narrative.

Thus we are having ever more hare brained stories leaked to the press the main objectives of which are to wind up unwary libtards and thus give some red meat to the far right to react against and roll out their buzz words about wokeness and cancel culture. So we have the nonsense about Ascension Island, this crap etc just to try and trigger people, its basically a slightly more advanced dead cat.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10483 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 12:50:38 »

I think there is a lot more to a lot of this than meets the eye.

I listened to a podcast the other week and they pointed out that with the simultaneous shit shows of Covid (with a lot of Johnon's core support very pissed off about restrictions) and Brexit (even ardent Brexiteers have gone very quiet as the true shiteness of what is coming is now nigh impossible to deny)  playing out the only area where the radicalised faithful can be energised is to sustain the culture war narrative.

Thus we are having ever more hare brained stories leaked to the press the main objectives of which are to wind up unwary libtards and thus give some red meat to the far right to react against and roll out their buzz words about wokeness and cancel culture. So we have the nonsense about Ascension Island, this crap etc just to try and trigger people, its basically a slightly more advanced dead cat.
That was my initial reaction too, but the FT's Politics Correspondent thinks there's more to it, that they are serious. A bit of "red meat" for "the base", the far right always enjoys a bit of unnecessary cruelty to the weakest

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1311632026945171456
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10484 on: Thursday, October 1, 2020, 13:03:47 »

That was my initial reaction too, but the FT's Politics Correspondent thinks there's more to it, that they are serious. A bit of "red meat" for "the base", the far right always enjoys a bit of unnecessary cruelty to the weakest

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1311632026945171456

Shouldn't waste their time, come January with Johnson still wittering on about us not having a hard border in Ireland the small boat challenge will have gone as instead for asylum seekers it will be a lot easier and safer to travel to RoI on a ferry and then just wander over the border into NI, I imagine that the French will see this as a very handy way of rapidly solving the problems around Calais.

I think it was Tony Benn who said that its always worth watching how governments handle refugees as it gives one a pretty good idea of how they would like to handle the general population given half a chance.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 698 [699] 700 701 702 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: