Pages: 1 ... 690 691 692 [693] 694 695 696 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2012171 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10380 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 09:56:42 »

Friend went on line last night to try and get a test for his child, no postal tests available and no test centres suggested, its a shambles.

Its clearly all our fault for getting tested too much. Especially if we don't have symptoms but have been in close contact with some who has it.

Genuine question  - is being aysmptomatic somehow better in terms of spread than when you are symptomatic. I guess you cough less, so transmit less, so maybe it is.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10381 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 10:55:32 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54116606

This sounds positive.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10382 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 11:10:28 »

that's good. but is it better than the new eu/Japan deal?

if so, very good but obviously a deal with the EU is critical
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10383 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 11:18:33 »

It is good, but even at the most optimistic (aka wildly unrealistic) estimate of what the deal could be worth, represents less than 1% of the value of our trade with the EU. Good news for the businesses exporting stilton to the Far East though. To be fair though it's encouraging that the deal was done, on broadly the same terms as the EU deal. It's a good start. Only 150 odd to go now Smiley

Meanwhile S&P have calculated Brexit has already cost the country £66bn in lost growth since 2016. That's around £300m a week, for those who like their economics written on the side of buses.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 11, 2020, 11:35:27 by pauld » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10384 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 11:29:04 »

Reading some informed comment on the Internal Markets Bill, the power grab included within its provisions goes way beyond the WA/NI.

In s45(4)(g), the bill says that regs made by a minister under powers in s42/s43 (exit declarations/state aid) have effect notwithstanding their incompatibility with "any rule of international or domestic law whatsoever".

Government is trying to create a totally non-justiciable power.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10385 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 11:32:51 »

Reading some informed comment on the Internal Markets Bill, the power grab included within its provisions goes way beyond the WA/NI.

In s45(4)(g), the bill says that regs made by a minister under powers in s42/s43 (exit declarations/state aid) have effect notwithstanding their incompatibility with "any rule of international or domestic law whatsoever".

Government is trying to create a totally non-justiciable power.
Erm, that's really quite terrifying. Anyone who wants to know why should look up the Enabling Act passed in Germany in 1933. The executive has to be accountable to the law or we no longer live in a democracy.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10386 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 13:46:40 »

Erm, that's really quite terrifying. Anyone who wants to know why should look up the Enabling Act passed in Germany in 1933. The executive has to be accountable to the law or we no longer live in a democracy.

I think we pretty much know (and not necessarily accept) that we haven't for some tine. The evidence of which grows by the day.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10387 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 14:06:30 »

I think we pretty much know (and not necessarily accept) that we haven't for some tine. The evidence of which grows by the day.
I think that's an exaggeration to say we don't live in a democracy right now, but we are creeping closer and closer to not doing and the process is accelerating alarmingly
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10388 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 14:11:50 »

I think that's an exaggeration to say we don't live in a democracy right now, but we are creeping closer and closer to not doing and the process is accelerating alarmingly

Of course, it's an exaggeration but stated more so as an alarm bell for those that still think that "Boris is such a card, he makes me laugh" and fail to see where we are headed. Even the suggestion of heading that way is met with cried of disbelief and scoffs. Although he who does scoff last is usually choking and they don't even know it.

I'm merely enhancing/accelerating my comment as you say, the inevitability has crept up on some like a robber in the night.

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10389 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 14:13:36 »

I don't think it's inevitable either. And we're not as far down that road as the US. But we are headed in the same direction and yes I find it very alarming too
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10390 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 15:27:40 »

Of course, it's an exaggeration but stated more so as an alarm bell for those that still think that "Boris is such a card, he makes me laugh" and fail to see where we are headed. Even the suggestion of heading that way is met with cried of disbelief and scoffs. Although he who does scoff last is usually choking and they don't even know it.

On another forum I frequent which has a much more right wing clientele than here, for months anyone noting the worrying parallels between 1930's Germany and modern Britain has been scoffed at, but then XR kicked off last weekend, the Daily Mail and Sun were delayed and they are apparently fascists.

As someone who studied the rise of Nazism in detail for two years during my A Levels, it always somewhat bewildered me how things got the way they did and why the chattering classes didn't notice what was happening and stop it, the last couple of years has made the reasoning behind this worryingly clear.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10391 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 15:45:56 »

I don't think it's inevitable either. And we're not as far down that road as the US. But we are headed in the same direction and yes I find it very alarming too

I think it will be if it continues, of course  Roll Eyes

As someone who studied the rise of Nazism in detail for two years during my A Levels, it always somewhat bewildered me how things got the way they did and why the chattering classes didn't notice what was happening and stop it, the last couple of years has made the reasoning behind this worryingly clear.

Absolutely. As I say, many will scoff but it never seems to be backed up with any real answers. Just scoffing until it's too late and we're left drowning in a swamp of limited democracy.

I think they call it "Blind Faith" but I may be wrong. Yet if pejority is what they appear to want, then they will eat cake.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10392 on: Friday, September 11, 2020, 16:12:32 »

It does albeit its merely basically replaces a deal we already had but with one big change, namely the right to sell Stilton to Japan, a nation where 70% of the population are lactose intolerant and a market worth a whopping £120k a year in UK exports.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10393 on: Monday, September 14, 2020, 09:26:45 »

It does albeit its merely basically replaces a deal we already had but with one big change, namely the right to sell Stilton to Japan, a nation where 70% of the population are lactose intolerant and a market worth a whopping £120k a year in UK exports.
Hilariously, it turns out that the Japan deal the govt were so widely trumpeting last week actually commits the UK to stricter state aid rules than the ones proposed in negotiations with the EU which the govt is apparently so exercised about that it is proposing to turn the UK into international pariahs by breaking international law:

https://www.ft.com/content/edb7d155-56b4-4065-9f83-31b2247fa178

Shambles would be too kind a word.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10394 on: Monday, September 14, 2020, 09:42:13 »

Hilariously, it turns out that the Japan deal the govt were so widely trumpeting last week actually commits the UK to stricter state aid rules than the ones proposed in negotiations with the EU which the govt is apparently so exercised about that it is proposing to turn the UK into international pariahs by breaking international law:

https://www.ft.com/content/edb7d155-56b4-4065-9f83-31b2247fa178

Shambles would be too kind a word.

Its hardly surprising that they cannot negotiate with the EU, they seem entirely incapable of discussing this within their own government.

I note from last evening that a fair few have been reporting the Braverman and Buckland (both Barristers) to the Bar Council as, rather unsurprisingly, it goes against their professional standards to actively advise your client, in full knowledge, to break the law.

Pages: 1 ... 690 691 692 [693] 694 695 696 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: