Pages: 1 ... 681 682 683 [684] 685 686 687 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996194 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10245 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 09:22:29 »

And I doubt we've seen the worst of it yet, certainly in terms of job losses. There is one hell of a storm coming.

Undoubtedly so, this is just the aperitif to January.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #10246 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 09:33:32 »

Quick, we must get more 'migrants in boats' stories out there to try and deflect

I come from a land down-under
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10247 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 09:36:15 »

Quick, we must get more 'migrants in boats' stories out there to try and deflect
I think at this time of grave national crisis it's important that govt ministers are concentrating on the serious issues facing the nation. Like getting into twitter spats with ice cream companies. There's a sign of the mature leadership the nation needs.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10248 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 09:55:05 »

GDP fell 20.4% from April-June, the worst quarter on record. It's slightly artificial because large sectors of the economy were shut down completely and some of those will now have resumed functioning, but many won't. By way of comparison, in the worst quarter of the 2008 recession, GDP fell by 2.2%, 1980 was 2% and even in 1931 the worst quarterly fall was 5.1%. And I doubt we've seen the worst of it yet, certainly in terms of job losses. There is one hell of a storm coming.

This coming crisis was what I was pointing out the other day with particular reference to football..... I would say the future of Div 3/4 foootball is still very much in the balance.  I can't get interested in whcih traialist we sign etc, the important thing being, we get through to September and start seeing some games played, even if BCD, in the hope of a phased return of some fans maybe in the NY.  Another lockdown for Swindon, which atm is in the PO slots, could potentially finish the job.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10249 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:06:20 »

The Government have selected the teaching unions and their members for blame.  The Mail reading classes see Marxists in every staff room, rather than the mainly slightly right wing caring people of reality, who are just trying to get some clarity in order to follow the Government's own guidelines on H and S.
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #10250 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:34:03 »

The Government have selected the teaching unions and their members for blame.  The Mail reading classes see Marxists in every staff room, rather than the mainly slightly right wing caring people of reality, who are just trying to get some clarity in order to follow the Government's own guidelines on H and S.
Quite agree Reg. How dare Teachers be concerned for the safety of their pupils, colleagues, the families, the community and of course, themselves? Met one marxist , or near, in 26 years of working with teachers. I find most to be moderate and probably many are Tory voters. Known lots of Union officials who vote Tory and one is a local Tory politician. Can't tell the Mail readers that as reality doesn't fit their bullshit. Results days are going to be interesting...

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10251 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:40:39 »

The Government have selected the teaching unions and their members for blame. 
For the migrants in boats? That would be bizarre even for this govt Smiley

I assume you actually mean for the recession, think you're right, although they'll be more than happy to spread the blame around, teachers, the EU, basically anyone who's not the govt or one of their mates they corruptly awarded a fat contract to so they could steal billions from the country.

Every Western nation is going to be facing a recession the like of which we've never seen in the wake of COVID. But much like the public health crisis, what will differentiate is those govts that are interested in tackling the problem, versus those that just try to manage the headlines. We've seen how well part 1 of that has gone here with the public health crisis and over 60,000 excess deaths. Not looking forward to the economic follow-up.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10252 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:04:37 »

Every Western nation is going to be facing a recession the like of which we've never seen in the wake of COVID.

I don't think the governments of any others are dim/callous enough to inflict economic suicide of their population simultaneously though?

As an aside, I tell you what, I am presently enjoying the pleasurable experience of reading the Planning for the Future White Paper with a view to replying to the consultation. Good god the contents of that are going to go down like the proverbial lead balloon in the Tory heartlands of little England!

Wonder whether this will be the straw to break the camels back.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10253 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 12:36:04 »

I am getting to quite like the Scottish Parliament, its everything our parliament isn't.

This is rather brutal though...

https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1293538220144287745?s=20
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10254 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 15:06:38 »

Johnson doing his "dead in a ditch" shtick again

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-13/johnson-says-irish-sea-border-over-my-dead-body-as-checks-loom

He signed a border in the Irish Sea into the Withdrawal Agreement in Oct 2019. His "oven-ready" deal. That he agreed, signed and fought an election on. And now this shit. There's no longer a political price to pay for blatantly and provably lying.
Flashheart

« Reply #10255 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 15:09:34 »

(Another) U-turn confirmed.

When's the last time a government has had to make this many u-turns?
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #10256 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 15:30:11 »

Do you know what, I am starting to wonder if this lot know what they are doing
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10257 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 15:46:58 »

Quote from: michael
Do you know what, I am starting to wonder if this lot know what they are doing

cynic
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10258 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 15:54:36 »

The most embarrassing bit is they had a weeks notice and still could not avoid it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10259 on: Monday, August 17, 2020, 16:54:13 »

TBF it was originally a C-turn but it got downgraded to a U-turn by Cummings' algorithm

(Stolen from Armando Ianucci)
Pages: 1 ... 681 682 683 [684] 685 686 687 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: