Pages: 1 ... 668 669 670 [671] 672 673 674 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995918 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #10050 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 09:29:15 »

Agreed although that story sounds very made up

It is possible that it is made up.

It is also very plausible that it is genuine. There is A LOTof fuckwittery out there. I know somebody living in Europe that is complaining about potential travel restrictions. No prizes for guessing which way they voted on brexit.

On a slight tangent. I know people in Thailand that complain about 'excess' immigration in Britain. Not only has the irony of them being an immigrant bypassed them, but they also complain when their wives/girlfriends have to jump through hoops to get a visa to Britain.

It's also fairly a common mind-set, not a small minority.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10051 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 09:37:28 »

I found this an interesting read on the current malaise in British politics:

https://unherd.com/2020/07/is-tony-blair-to-blame-for-our-tribal-politicians/

Ignore the URL, the article has been retitled to "Where have all the good politicians gone?". Although tbf, Blair should take a considerable amount of the blame IMO and the article does explore that, but it's not the main thrust of it by any means (hence the retitling, I assume)

Ignore
« Reply #10052 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 12:09:38 »

Loving Starmer in PMQ's. Every week he takes the useless Boris apart. He does so with ease too.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #10053 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 15:00:08 »

Loving Starmer in PMQ's. Every week he takes the useless Boris apart. He does so with ease too.

Totally agree. He ties the cunt up in knots so easily.

Yet the Momentum element of Labour seem hell bent on trying to bin him. Incredible. First chance of toppling (a very shit) Conservatives and instead they start kicking lumps out of the very man who can easily unpick the Tories. All because Starmer has moved Labour back towards the centre ground. A position I mooted before the last election; saying '...if a party moved closer to the centre ground then they would beat the Tories.' This nation is crying out for some kind of balance and stable consensus. Both parties have been guilty of drifting. Labour more to the left under Corbyn (not all bad but too much for many) and Conservatives continue their slide to the far right and their associations. Others just don't really have the same influence despite some great policies, unfortunately.

I have had several people on my social media spouting non-evidential crap that Starmer is a Neo-Liberal. Purely based on his sacking of RLB (I still think this was the right move). This was only written in January and if he's a Neo-Lib then why would he speak about making changes to "Free market policy"? Surely music to the ears of the more left leaning and Corbynite members of the Labour Party?

Read here:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/11/keir-starmer-tacks-to-left-momentum-makes-its-pick-labour-leader

Some Labour voters won't like that Starmer "looks" a bit Blairitey. Kind of in the same way people didn't like Ed Milliband for looking a bit Millhouse, ie a ridiculous mindset to use but people do. Except it's just because he possibly isn't a far left as Corbyn. I put him more left of centre. The question is; do Labour voters feel that this rightward shift is the correct move to obtain control or would they prefer to help divide a nation further, even when it's core principle is to unite?

Some Labour voters might want to read Starmer's statement on his website if they were considering abstaining from voting in the next GE;

Read Here:
https://keirstarmer.com/plans/reformandunite/

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10054 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 15:20:11 »

A god awful recession is on its way I fear, in just the last few days the following job losses;

5000 at Upper Crust and other brands
2000 at EasyJet
2000 at Royal Mail
1700 at Airbus
600 at TM Lewin
700 at Harrods
500 at Arcadia
An unknown number at John Lewis

GDP crashed in the first quarter of 2020 and will spiral down in the second quarter, we then have the potential for Covid 2 and then the cherry on the cake, an entirely self inflicted and actively sought no/shit deal Brexit, making a mockery of Johnsons withering cry of jobs, jobs, jobs (Beginning to realise that Cullings main genius seems to be coming up with catchy three word slogans) in the Commons earlier.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 15:52:50 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10055 on: Wednesday, July 1, 2020, 16:02:25 »

A god awful recession is on its way I fear, in just the last few days the following job losses;

5000 at Upper Crust and other brands
2000 at EasyJet
2000 at Royal Mail
1700 at Airbus
600 at TM Lewin
700 at Harrods
500 at Arcadia
An unknown number at John Lewis

GDP crashed in the first quarter of 2020 and will spiral down in the second quarter, we then have the potential for Covid 2 and then the cherry on the cake, an entirely self inflicted and actively sought no/shit deal Brexit, making a mockery of Johnsons withering cry of jobs, jobs, jobs (Beginning to realise that Cullings main genius seems to be coming up with catchy three word slogans) in the Commons earlier.
Let's be honest we're already in a horrendous recession we just haven't realised yet because there's thousands of zombie companies and jobs being kept artificially alive by furlough and associated schemes (not criticising that btw). Once that support is withdrawn, as it must be eventually, those losses will crystallise. We're not alone in this, pretty much every Western economy has the same problem. We're likely to be harder than most though, according to sources as diverse as the OECD, the FT and the Telegraph
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #10056 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 10:48:49 »

Swindon and Wiltshire gets £9.7m from the ‘get Britain Building’ fund. Which should achieve what, three quarters of a roundabout?

The guff around this scheme is disgusting. It’s not even that it’s undoing whatever’s gone on in the last ten years - it’s that Johnson’s putting forward what in national economic terms is the square root of fuck all and wants to be judged as a messiah for it

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10057 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 10:53:19 »

Swindon and Wiltshire gets £9.7m from the ‘get Britain Building’ fund. Which should achieve what, three quarters of a roundabout?

The guff around this scheme is disgusting. It’s not even that it’s undoing whatever’s gone on in the last ten years - it’s that Johnson’s putting forward what in national economic terms is the square root of fuck all and wants to be judged as a messiah for it
Indeed, it's laughable that he compared it to Roosevelt's New Deal and feigned concern that it was such a generous handout he was worried about people thinking he might be a communist. It's estimated we'd need to spend £7bn just to undo the damage done to schools alone in the decade of austerity. £5bn is a drop in the parched desert of austerity, and it's not even "new" money. In many areas it represents a cutback on previously announced schemes. I'm sure the usual suspects will lap it up though
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10058 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 11:03:36 »

Like the majoirty of such programmes (Introduced by governments of all colours) its generally just a rebranding of stuff that was already going to happen. Amusingly the BBC's Reality Check team have looked at Johnson's speech and found that every major assertion was either previously announced, a lie, or a distortion of the truth - usually some combination of the three.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/53236921
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10059 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 11:06:25 »

Indeed, it's laughable that he compared it to Roosevelt's New Deal and feigned concern that it was such a generous handout he was worried about people thinking he might be a communist. It's estimated we'd need to spend £7bn just to undo the damage done to schools alone in the decade of austerity. £5bn is a drop in the parched desert of austerity, and it's not even "new" money. In many areas it represents a cutback on previously announced schemes. I'm sure the usual suspects will lap it up though

Indeed, for instance in my line of work he said in his speech he'll get more homes built. But in fact he's cutting annual funding by stretching the existing £12bn over 8 years instead of 5,
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10060 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 11:24:49 »

Its all going swimmingly...

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/trump-is-on-his-way-out-and-so-is-johnsons-hopes-of-a-us-uk-trade-deal/01/07/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10061 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 11:29:56 »

Hmm, don't underestimate Trump's willingness to outright rig the polls or even just claim the election result is fake if he loses and attempt to stay in power anyway.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10062 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 13:11:02 »

Hmm, don't underestimate Trump's willingness to outright rig the polls or even just claim the election result is fake if he loses and attempt to stay in power anyway.

A la Putin.

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10063 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 13:14:54 »

A la Putin.

I imagine he holds all the cards for Trump (and Johnson) to remain in post.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #10064 on: Thursday, July 2, 2020, 14:00:08 »

I imagine he holds all the cards for Trump (and Johnson) to remain in post.

Without going all Conspiracy theory like my Aussie friend the other day...

We all know that those "G<<insert number>> Summit" meetings (not the televised handshakey, smiles and nods, tables and pens bits) are a discreet way for World Leaders to discuss their individual vested economic interests and continue their ongoing tallied score of RISK and Backgammon.

Since 2016, USA never understands the rules and tips the board over when losing, whilst Russia has nearly always cheated in full view, The UK gives it the billy big bollocks but also has no idea how to play. Germany tries to be better every time and takes it incredibly serious but has a wry snigger when the US fails to identify the location of Alberta or Irkutsk. China remain silent the whole time and slowly collect more territories although everyone disputes Siam has been unfairly obtained. The French light a cigarette and shrug their shoulders. In a separate room, unknown to the media, the secretly invited Saudi Arabians play Backgammon. Fed up, confused and slightly over their tantrums of unable to sustain world domination, the US and the UK join KSA; betting on which Arab State will succeed. Whilst picking on the smaller nations to make themselves feel all big and to retain some sense of importance. Ben Wallace is there but no one really knows who he is. The UK and US also have no idea how to play Backgammon.

Brazil enters the room with Corned Beef sandwiches for all.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 668 669 670 [671] 672 673 674 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: