Pages: 1 ... 654 655 656 [657] 658 659 660 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2018553 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #9840 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 10:38:24 »

And very important in my eyes to mention this. Not ALL cops are bastards as is being sprayed on police cars. Yes there are some bad eggs, but there are some very good ones as well.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9841 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 10:41:29 »

I seem to remember Trump egging on armed to the teeth protesters who were against various state lockdowns. ‘Some very good people’.

Or perhaps he meant to say ‘Some very good white Republican people’
Indeed. Not to mention the violent neo-Nazis in Charlottesville a few years back.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9842 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 10:42:24 »

And very important in my eyes to mention this. Not ALL cops are bastards as is being sprayed on police cars. Yes there are some bad eggs, but there are some very good ones as well.
Unfortunately at the moment the bad eggs are being egged on (as it were) by the President of the United States who seems determined to inflame the situation
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9843 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 10:59:48 »

Also extremely worrying is the deliberate targetting of press and TV reporters by (some) violent cops; this is where the #scummedia hashtag and the like leads

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2020/05/31/us-law-enforcement-are-deliberately-targeting-journalists-during-george-floyd-protests/

And I hardly need add the deliberate targetting of the press reporting on authoritarian excesses is one of the hallmarks of a fascist state. One of the first things fascists do is attack the press and attack the judiciary, because in a democracy, no matter how imperfect, they provide the counterbalance to the executive
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #9844 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 10:59:57 »

It’s the good ones responsibility to do more about the bad ones, and they haven’t

Things get better but they never get good
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9845 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 11:27:03 »

A highlight was the video of some police arresting a black guy for looking like a suspect, then having to sheepishly uncuff him when their search of his pockets revealed he is an FBI Agent.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #9846 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 11:28:35 »

It’s the good ones responsibility to do more about the bad ones, and they haven’t

You hear various Republicans talking about a "few bad apples" in regard to Police racism and violence.  They always misuse that saying, which actually is "One bad apple can spoil the bunch".
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9847 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 11:38:18 »

Not sure that's wholly true. The links I posted are, IMO, an example of decent cops trying to take a stand for what's right. And not sure, for example, what a decent cop in Denver can directly do to stop a bad cop in Minneapolis. On a local level, you're right, although if the problem is systemic/institutional, that's not always easy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9848 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 11:43:05 »

A highlight was the video of some police arresting a black guy for looking like a suspect, then having to sheepishly uncuff him when their search of his pockets revealed he is an FBI Agent.
https://twitter.com/ProfCaryCooper/status/1267400584572866561
Flashheart

« Reply #9849 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 13:22:20 »

The virtue signallers are out in force lately as well.

Apparently, if you don't agree with some peoples' definition of racism then you yourself are racist. Even if your definition does come directly from the OED - and there's does not.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9850 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 15:54:50 »

There's a video of some 'restraining' protestors/looters by kneeling on their neck. A cynic might think it's deliberately provocative.

Amazingly, I believe it is an approved restraining technique.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9851 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 16:02:19 »

Its definitely approved in Minneapolis https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/29/george-floyd-experts-say-neck-restraint-allowed-minneapolis-can-kill/5274334002/

Be interested to read your musings on Trump, how are his numbers looking over there, does he need to basically provoke out and out civil war to try and get himself over the line?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9852 on: Monday, June 1, 2020, 16:25:09 »

And 44 people have lost consciousness while being restrained in this fashion by Minneapolis PD in the past 5 years. The only surpising thing about George Floyd's death is that it hasn't happened before now

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minneapolis-police-rendered-44-people-unconscious-neck-restraints-five-years-n1220416
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #9853 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 03:39:06 »

Hope its something of nothing but my daughter is seeing lots of stuff on social media about semi planned riots in London. lots of stuff about bringing fire retardant gloves, plain clothing and leaving mobiles behind threads amongst her age group (18/19)
Valid Pint

« Reply #9854 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 06:52:05 »

from the OED - and there's does not.
Dictionary definitions:

there's
contraction
\ ˈt͟herz  , t͟hərz \
Definition of there's
: there is : there has.

theirs
\ ˈt͟herz  \
Definition of theirs
1: that which belongs to them —used without a following noun as a pronoun equivalent in meaning to the adjective their
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 656 [657] 658 659 660 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: