Pages: 1 ... 619 620 621 [622] 623 624 625 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995799 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9315 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:40:01 »

The Independent ran a piece saying that Rebecca Long Baillie broke the Labour election contest rules and could have been thrown out of the contest.  Instead the rules were changed by her Momentum allies who control the party and she was quietly cleared.

That's a story that I should instinctively warm to as it plays into my anti-Corbyn, anti-Momentum prejudices.

Not sure I do however.  It feels flimsy and it is surrounded by other unverifiable rumour stories such as  Labour MPs quitting en masse if she is elected.  This all neatly fits in with The Independent's Centrist/Soft Left instincts.

I used to regard The Independent and The Times as the last bastions of responsible, balanced UK journalism but I've come to the conclusion that I'm rather naïve which is somewhat depressing.

There have also been stories knocking about that the Party? were trying to get Starmer kicked off the ticket due to GDPR breaches?

In terms of print media, its a dying medium and I wouldn't take much notice of any of them. The only reason I tend to link to Indy pieces is they seem to attract less shouts of bias than thoise from the Times/Telegraph/Mail/Guardian!

Seem to get more sense out of the purely online sources now such as Huff Post/Buzzfeed and if you want more investigative and detailed By-Line Times.

I don't trust any of them no matter where they might be on the left/right spectrum. Including, more recently, the BBC.

Bunch of cunts the lot of them.

In terms of visual media, C4 don't seem to be too bad (at least asking difficult questions) and bizarrely Sky are sometimes OK, which is bloody odd considering its Murdoch.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:43:32 by horlock07 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9316 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:42:43 »

In terms of visual media, C4 don't seem to be too bad (at least asking difficult questions) and bizarrely Sky are sometimes OK, which is bloody odd considering its Murdoch.

Murdoch doesn't own Sky
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9317 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:43:55 »

Murdoch doesn't own Sky

Well there you go then.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9318 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:44:01 »

I'm with you Horlock

Some seem to think asking questions is a bit Marxist.  

Bizarrely I have been coming to trust Sky News more than the emasculated Beeb (which tbf I still rate above Russia Today)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9319 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:56:13 »

I see that our future Attorney General, Sue Ellen, was informing the public not long ago that "Parliament is bound by statute"

Even the typical Daily Mail reader cannot fail to have noticed that Bercow's labyrinthine rulings were not "statute" based.

Who better than a recently qualified lawyer for the job of emasculating the  independence of the judiciary?  Necessary because the Judiciary is biased against the Conservative Government despite being predominantly elderly, white, male and privately educated.

The Barbarians are well and truly at the Gates
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9320 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 10:19:39 »

I see that our future Attorney General, Sue Ellen, was informing the public not long ago that "Parliament is bound by statute"

Even the typical Daily Mail reader cannot fail to have noticed that Bercow's labyrinthine rulings were not "statute" based.

Who better than a recently qualified lawyer for the job of emasculating the  independence of the judiciary?  Necessary because the Judiciary is biased against the Conservative Government despite being predominantly elderly, white, male and privately educated.

I noticed that Buckland had to accept Cummings removing of one of his advisors to keep his job..... to which he happily agreed. 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9321 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 10:23:30 »

Who better than a recently qualified lawyer for the job of emasculating the  independence of the judiciary?  Necessary because the Judiciary is biased against the Conservative Government despite being predominantly elderly, white, male and privately educated.

Yep, in her eyes an independent judiciary and the law is just so bloody inconvenient....

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2020/01/suella-braverman-people-we-elect-must-take-back-control-from-people-we-dont-who-include-the-judges.html

But remember, its only an issue for the Labour Party. https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/board-of-deputies-rebuke-conservative-mp-suella-braverman-for-using-antisemitic-trope-1.482150
« Last Edit: Friday, February 14, 2020, 10:29:07 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9322 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 10:25:23 »

In terms of print media, its a dying medium and I wouldn't take much notice of any of them. The only reason I tend to link to Indy pieces is they seem to attract less shouts of bias than thoise from the Times/Telegraph/Mail/Guardian!
Independent is an odd mix of serious journalism and pure clickbait since it went online only. The one I'm really disappointed by is the Telegraph which used to be kind of a Guardian of the right (it had a political viewpoint, but it didn't hide the bias in the news and was sufficiently committed to proper journalism that it would report stories properly so you could easily distinguish fact from interpretation), but these days it's like a shit Daily Mail. Been going that way since the Barclays took over but Brexit seemed to really hasten the process to the extent that it's now little more than shouty propaganda
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9323 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 10:27:27 »

I noticed that Buckland had to accept Cummings removing of one of his advisors to keep his job..... to which he happily agreed. 
Let's be honest, Buckland would have happily agreed to sitting upside down with flowers poking out of his arse as a less decorative vase if it meant keeping his job. Amusingly the Spad he lost was his media advisor, so presumably we will now see a less effective communicator version of Buckland in the media. The mind boggles
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9324 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 10:58:54 »

Apparently this isn't a parody account:

https://twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

Flashheart

« Reply #9325 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 11:00:15 »

I saw that earlier. Oh, how I lolled.

"You won, get used to it" springs to mind. I think we're going to be seeing a lot more stuff like this in the coming months/years.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9326 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 11:12:52 »

To be fair to the guy it isn't the Brexit he voted for, however 48% of the population were aware that it was the only Brexit available.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9327 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 11:15:53 »

To be fair to the guy it isn't the Brexit he voted for, however 48% of the population were aware that it was the only Brexit available.
It very much is the Brexit he voted for, it's just not what he thought he voted for. There's a difference. Own it, bitch. (Him, not you, horlock)
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9328 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 11:18:06 »

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9329 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 11:18:33 »

The one I'm really disappointed by is the Telegraph which used to be kind of a Guardian of the right (it had a political viewpoint, but it didn't hide the bias in the news and was sufficiently committed to proper journalism that it would report stories properly so you could easily distinguish fact from interpretation), but these days it's like a shit Daily Mail. Been going that way since the Barclays took over but Brexit seemed to really hasten the process to the extent that it's now little more than shouty propaganda

Indeed.

I read The Telegraph, just before the election, for the first time in years and was staggered by how much it had changed.  It wasn't the bias or even the crudity as much as the pure hatred that stunned me.
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 621 [622] 623 624 625 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: