Pages: 1 ... 618 619 620 [621] 622 623 624 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995836 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9300 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:35:11 »

That won't fit in well with our new Trump-inspired overlords. Although tbh I'd assumed he was due to replace Cox as AG, as he's amply demonstrated that whatever his nice words, he's more than happy to bend over in practice when required.

Suggestion that Suella Braverman is going to get the AG post, this government is the gift that keeps giving for the satirist!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9301 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:37:38 »

Whilst I am not a leftie (always makes me smile when someone on the right reveals that they consider anyone with a shred of moral and social decency must be a 'leftie' like its some kind of insult), the whole thing is frankly hilarious (Albeit very troubling for the country as a whole).

If the stories circulating are correct that Javid went because he refused to sack all his advisors and have them replaced by some hand picked by Cummings then one must assume that these are the terms under which his successor has taken the job, which basically suggests that Cummings has now taken control of the Treasury along with no.10 so we now have puppets in our key positions of governance.

As Cummings is now Chancellor, I wonder whether he views this in financial terms or as it was construed in 30's Germany, he will be sacking the Queen next!

For those of us who like political history, its worth remembering how well Howe's resignation went for Tharcher. Johnson has decided that Cummings is more important to him than Javid (and, by inference, any other minister). In sending that message to the ministers in his government and to his MPs, he's just substantially cut his political base in Westminster, majority or not.

TL/DR....

The current government is so morally bankrupt Sajid Javid has resigned from it on a matter of principle.
Sajid Javid.
Principles.

You mean the same as anyone who reads the mail, express etc is far right?
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #9302 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:40:26 »

No, just intellectually challenged.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9303 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:46:35 »

Buckland stays.

I would reply, but my learned friend Exiled Bob has answered more elequantly than I ever could  Cheesy Cheesy
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #9304 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:49:17 »

When has anyone here ever said mail / express readers like yourself are far right!?

Not all are far right at all. Many are just bigots.
https://mobile.twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1226455248048394241
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #9305 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 13:03:44 »

More on the re-shuffle: Priti Patel will continue in her role in going after those counter-terrorists.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9306 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 13:07:12 »

Little quiz, without checking who is now the longest serving cabinet member (without a break)?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9307 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 13:09:24 »

No-one has said that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9308 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 13:43:25 »

Little quiz, without checking who is now the longest serving cabinet member (without a break)?

Good question.  None of them seem to last very long these days, but there are some like Gove who pops up with a different portfolio, having made a pig's ear of the previous post.

Let's face it, this is a very niche subject.... ask the person in the street who is Welsh secretary and they probably won't know or care, even if they're in Wales
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9309 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 14:00:11 »

Good question.  None of them seem to last very long these days, but there are some like Gove who pops up with a different portfolio, having made a pig's ear of the previous post.

Let's face it, this is a very niche subject.... ask the person in the street who is Welsh secretary and they probably won't know or care, even if they're in Wales

Not Gove, he had a spell on the naughty step.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9310 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 16:15:01 »

Nice to see we now have an environment minister who has consistently voted against measures to tackle climate change and to repeal environmental protection legislation. So much for Johnson's green promises. Like most of his promises, worthless.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9311 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 08:29:44 »

always makes me smile when someone on the right reveals that they consider anyone with a shred of moral and social decency must be a 'leftie' like its some kind of insult

For that to be true it follows that those same right wingers must also believe that they themselves don't have a shred of moral and social decency which seems pejorative rather than realistic

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9312 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 08:32:14 »

If the stories circulating are correct that Javid went because he refused to sack all his advisors and have them replaced by some hand picked by Cummings then one must assume that these are the terms under which his successor has taken the job, which basically suggests that Cummings has now taken control of the Treasury along with no.10 so we now have puppets in our key positions of governance.

I take your point that they must have sounded him out beforehand. 

However, this also puts Boris in a rather weak position in that he cannot risk losing another chancellor.  I don't know enough about Sunak to speculate how compliant he will turn out to be but ex Goldman Sachs/hedge fund manager/independently wealthy are not the traits I'd look for in a lap-dog and the Treasury has a solid track record of getting their chancellors to follow their line.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9313 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 08:55:02 »

The Independent ran a piece saying that Rebecca Long Baillie broke the Labour election contest rules and could have been thrown out of the contest.  Instead the rules were changed by her Momentum allies who control the party and she was quietly cleared.

That's a story that I should instinctively warm to as it plays into my anti-Corbyn, anti-Momentum prejudices.

Not sure I do however.  It feels flimsy and it is surrounded by other unverifiable rumour stories such as  Labour MPs quitting en masse if she is elected.  This all neatly fits in with The Independent's Centrist/Soft Left instincts.

I used to regard The Independent and The Times as the last bastions of responsible, balanced UK journalism but I've come to the conclusion that I'm rather naïve which is somewhat depressing.

Flashheart

« Reply #9314 on: Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:05:42 »

The times have become nothing more than a tabloid of late. They used to hold high standards even if they were biased, but no more.

I don't trust any of them no matter where they might be on the left/right spectrum. Including, more recently, the BBC.

Bunch of cunts the lot of them.
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 620 [621] 622 623 624 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: