Pages: 1 ... 617 618 619 [620] 621 622 623 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996246 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9285 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 10:05:44 »

Leadsom and McVey sacked then!
A tragic loss to the intellectual weight of the cabinet
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9286 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 10:11:28 »

Julian Smith sacked as NI sec, simultaneously peeing off both NI and Ireland (with a resurgent SF), seems actually being able to understand and do your job is no longer sufficient in this government and a frankly worrying disregard for NI. Although to a degree he deserves it for all his work as Chief Whip breaking the pairing conventions.

Still waiting with baited breath for the key announcement, has Dom confirmed whether Johnson can stay as PM.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9287 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 10:34:18 »

From Beeb...

Here are the sackings we know so far:

Julian Smith as Northern Ireland secretary
    Andrea Leadsom as business secretary
    Theresa Villiers as environment secretary
    Esther McVey as housing minister
    Nusrat Ghani as transport minister
    Chris Skidmore as education minister
    George Freeman as transport minister

Geoffrey Cox is also gone - he says he has resigned as attorney general.

We already know that Nicky Morgan was leaving her role of culture secretary.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9288 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 11:53:00 »

Blimey! Sajid Javid has resigned, reportedly because of Cummings interfering with his SPADs.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9289 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 11:59:18 »

Blimey! Sajid Javid has resigned, reportedly because of Cummings interfering with his SPADs.

Poor soul never even got to deliver a budget, to lose a chancellor 4 weeks before the budget is pretty crap.

Shred of integrity shockers, and lack of integrity/ambition from the incomer as its clear that he really will be Chino!
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:02:21 by horlock07 » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9290 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:01:43 »

Wow bet that has all you lefties excited.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9291 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:03:33 »

Poor soul never even got to deliver a budget, to lose a chancellor 4 weeks before the budget is pretty crap.
Better than the SNP though, losing one on the morning of a budget.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9292 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:06:54 »

That an inept PM with no grasp of detail has handed control of the economy to a junior minister with no experience just at a time when he's about to tank the economy? "Excited" isn't the word I'd use. Terrified might be a better fit.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #9293 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:26:50 »

If you had told me this morning that I would end the day admiring Sajid David, I would never have believed you.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9294 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:28:01 »

Leadsom sacked then!

Just at the time when our local Tories thought she was doing a good job... especially re Honda closing.

The council's (SBC) cabinet member for economy and place Oliver Donachie said: "I was impressed by the minister – she had a real grasp of the nuance of the situation and it was good to have someone really getting on top of the detail and not just saying nice words."

I'm surprised Buckland asn't gone yet, having stood up to Cummings by saying that he (Buckland) thought that an independent judiicary was a cornerstone of democracy.  Not sure how much longer he'll have holding such radical views
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9295 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:29:51 »

I'm surprised Buckland asn't gone yet, having stood up to Cummings by saying that he (Buckland) thought that an independent judiicary was a cornerstone of democracy.  Not sure how much longer he'll have holding such radical views
That won't fit in well with our new Trump-inspired overlords. Although tbh I'd assumed he was due to replace Cox as AG, as he's amply demonstrated that whatever his nice words, he's more than happy to bend over in practice when required.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9296 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:31:41 »

That an inept PM with no grasp of detail has handed control of the economy to a junior minister with no experience just at a time when he's about to tank the economy? "Excited" isn't the word I'd use. Terrified might be a better fit.

Excellent. Put it like this, if Corbyn had got in with a 78 seat Majority you’d be more than terrified. And with that I’d be stood side by side with you.
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:36:51 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9297 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:32:26 »

Whilst I am not a leftie (always makes me smile when someone on the right reveals that they consider anyone with a shred of moral and social decency must be a 'leftie' like its some kind of insult), the whole thing is frankly hilarious (Albeit very troubling for the country as a whole).

If the stories circulating are correct that Javid went because he refused to sack all his advisors and have them replaced by some hand picked by Cummings then one must assume that these are the terms under which his successor has taken the job, which basically suggests that Cummings has now taken control of the Treasury along with no.10 so we now have puppets in our key positions of governance.

As Cummings is now Chancellor, I wonder whether he views this in financial terms or as it was construed in 30's Germany, he will be sacking the Queen next!

For those of us who like political history, its worth remembering how well Howe's resignation went for Tharcher. Johnson has decided that Cummings is more important to him than Javid (and, by inference, any other minister). In sending that message to the ministers in his government and to his MPs, he's just substantially cut his political base in Westminster, majority or not.

TL/DR....

The current government is so morally bankrupt Sajid Javid has resigned from it on a matter of principle.
Sajid Javid.
Principles.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9298 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:32:30 »

That won't fit in well with our new Trump-inspired overlords. Although tbh I'd assumed he was due to replace Cox as AG, as he's amply demonstrated that whatever his nice words, he's more than happy to bend over in practice when required.

Very true.... I could have been impressed by Buckland's stance, if I believed a word he said.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #9299 on: Thursday, February 13, 2020, 12:32:37 »

Considering who's left in the cabinet, this is, laughably, quite probably true.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 619 [620] 621 622 623 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: