Pages: 1 ... 605 606 607 [608] 609 610 611 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2012430 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #9105 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:40:34 »

tbf, I don't think pointing out that thinking Russia is still a communist state nearly 30 years after the demise of the Soviet Union is incorrect counts as trolling, more educating an astonishing level of ignorance

Oh totally - agreed. Sorry I was implying he was the troll (see his original post) and the rest of us are better off ignoring him. He only does it for attention.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:50:05 by StfcRusty » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9106 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 14:42:39 »

Oh totally - agreed. Sorry I was implying he was the troll (see his original post) and the rest of us are better of ignoring him. He only does it for attention.
Fair enough  Thumb
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9107 on: Friday, January 17, 2020, 18:59:54 »

Fair enough  Thumb

Go wrong daily, go wrong daily.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9108 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 10:50:29 »

Reality starting to hit home on what they voted for in Grimsby

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/brexit-exemption-sought-grimsby-seafood-736984?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9109 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 11:26:45 »

It appears to have been striking home over two years ago (when that article was published!!)  Wink
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9110 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:17:35 »

It appears to have been striking home over two years ago (when that article was published!!)  Wink
Doh! Point still stands though, probably the more so now as a FTA or no deal looms
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9111 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 12:41:18 »

Doh! Point still stands though, probably the more so now as a FTA or no deal looms

After the Saj's intervention over the weekend, I suspect its not just the fishmakers who are not feeling very blessed and instead rather vulnerable as they return to their trawlers this Monday morning!

You've had three years to prepare for this thing that we haven't actually decided what its is, however, its your fault, deal with it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9112 on: Monday, January 20, 2020, 13:06:05 »

After the Saj's intervention over the weekend, I suspect its not just the fishmakers who are not feeling very blessed and instead rather vulnerable as they return to their trawlers this Monday morning!

You've had three years to prepare for this thing that we haven't actually decided what its is, however, its your fault, deal with it.
Who realised that "Fuck Business" wasn't just an outburst, more a manifesto commitment?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9113 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 11:51:56 »

Who realised that "Fuck Business" wasn't just an outburst, more a manifesto commitment?

This is what Javid had to say before the Ref......

“the only thing guaranteed about leaving the bloc was a decade of stagnation and doubt. Just like the Bank of England governor, Mark Carney, and IMF head Christine Lagarde, I still believe that Britain is better off in. And that’s all because of the single market. It’s a great invention, one that even Lady Thatcher campaigned enthusiastically to create. The world’s largest economic bloc, it gives every business in Britain access to 500 million customers with no barriers, no tariffs and no local legislation to worry about."

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9114 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 12:17:14 »

To his credit, the article is still up on his personal website.  The more Trumpian elements of the present government would have deleted the article and then denied that it ever existed.

https://www.sajidjavid.com/news/sajid-javid-only-thing-leaving-eu-guarantees-lost-decade-british-business

He was Eurosceptic, but recognised the harm to jobs and to the economy that leaving would entail.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9115 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 12:57:32 »

He was Eurosceptic, but recognised the harm to jobs and to the economy that leaving would entail.

I think that applies to many remainers doesn't it. Does me, to an extent.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9116 on: Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 13:40:55 »

I think that applies to many remainers doesn't it. Does me, to an extent.

Which is precisely why membership was always doomed.

The UK, well, mostly England, did little over the preceding decades to sell any benefit of being IN outside of the economy, and actually tried to hold on to some bizarre notion it was only ever meant to be a trade deal.

Successive governments did little to sell the virtues of Membership, the press had a field day, getting the green light from the Politicians, and I have no doubt our existence as an actual Island does create a very different view of Europe anyway.  Against that backdrop it was not surprising we'd eventually opt back out.  Unfortunately, we've had a bit longer than most of Europe to get used to our current borders during a period where the sense of Nationhood took off.  Thanks to a fair few wars, the rest of Europe has been moving around like chips on a Balckjack table.  Yes the French have a fair number of staunch Nationalists (in the real sense, not the modern one), but they remain fiercely regional at the same time, as does Spain.  Bits of Northern Italy still thrive as Austrian and plenty of Eastern Europe barely had time to get used to not being part of a huge Communist State.

In the meantime we get our Parliament back, how exciting, especially as everyone moaning about the EU has about as much time for that institution as well.  The human nature of fear will find a new foe soon enough.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9117 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10:06:10 »

I was sorry that Jess Phillips didn't get the necessary nominations to stay in the race.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9118 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10:13:14 »

I was sorry that Jess Phillips didn't get the necessary nominations to stay in the race.
I didn't especially care one way or the other but she did sum up Labour's problem at the last election (and the next 48 unless they sort themselves out) rather well:
"I truly believe that if we don’t speak to the country on their terms, and not just ours, then we won’t be able to make the gains we need to win an election"
It's why they lost the last election and will continue to lose them until they can show they understand this.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #9119 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10:23:47 »

I have no doubt our existence as an actual Island

AN ISLAND?! Has anyone told Dominic Raab???
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 607 [608] 609 610 611 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: